First WOMAD, first festival with a baby help

Willy-wam-wam-wozzle

Hi Everyone,

We’re coming to WOMAD for the first time this year and also bringing our 11 month old daughter.

Have been to loads of other festivals over the years, but camping with a baby is new to us.

Just wondered if anyone has any WOMAD specific, or general festivaling with a baby tips?

We’re looking to camp in the Family Camping area, does it fill up quickly? We’ll probably arrive around Thursday lunchtime.

Cheers All!!

Hi,

Should be fine, there usually is plenty of space and it is one of the best festivals to do with kids (all ages). What are you worried about, anything specific? I took my son to Glastonbury, aged 1, and then to WOMAD aged 2, 4, 5 .... happy to share tips.  I'd say the main thing that could throw a spanner in the works is really bad weather - depends a bit on your tent and what you are willing to put up with. Most things you need you can get at the festival or nearby town, should you forget anything.

6 hours ago, midnight said:

really bad weather

this hot spell is going to go on like in previous years, burny hot until the first day of the fest when the weather will break.

7 hours ago, midnight said:

Hi,

Should be fine, there usually is plenty of space and it is one of the best festivals to do with kids (all ages). What are you worried about, anything specific? I took my son to Glastonbury, aged 1, and then to WOMAD aged 2, 4, 5 .... happy to share tips.  I'd say the main thing that could throw a spanner in the works is really bad weather - depends a bit on your tent and what you are willing to put up with. Most things you need you can get at the festival or nearby town, should you forget anything.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Good to know there is usually space in the family camping. Not sure I’d want to inflict a potentially crying baby on non-family camping people lol

I don’t think we’ve got any specific worries, as such, just very aware that the whole festival experience is going to be very different to usual so wondered if people had any good tips, must take items etc?

How we deal with bedtimes is our main unknown, I think, they could be a steep learning curve!

Good to hear that WOMAD is a good festival for kids though! Lots say they are.

Fingers crossed the weather holds, or at least isn’t too muddy. Mud and a pram won’t mix too well!

Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

HA. We were saying this yesterday. Has happened to me so many times before!

that happen atr the last two womads if i remember right

12 hours ago, midnight said:

Hi,

Actually, one thing we are currently debating, pram or ‘festival trolly’? Do you have a personal preference?

I took my son in a trolley once he was a bit bigger (3). At 11 months, he was happiest in a sling or back carrier, falling asleep snuggled up to a parent. Plus, I was still feeding, so easy to calm him (might not be the case in your family).

Highly likely, baby will have sensory overload - so fall asleep at odd times. Mine was the lousiest sleeper, ever. But even he crashed out. Depends a bit on how much routine matters to you. As long as you can carry them with you, you can go wherever you want with them. If you are able to carry them, you can be out and about as long as you like. But one of you has to be fit in the morning! 🤪

I wouldn't worry too much about a baby crying in family camping. People are prepared for that. It's what babies do. I remember one night, a kid being sick (not mine, fortunately!), crying and swearing like a trooper. No one batted an eyelid (or if they did, they kept quiet about it). 

Our son has had his first birthday at the very first Charlton Park WOMAD with his then 3 year old sister. We have been every year since then (apart from the last 2 obvs) and he will be 16 this year. They love it as much now as when they were little. It is a great place to take children.

In the early years, a back pack was good - they get a nice view and no getting lost in crowds. They would sleep on a pile of fleeces. We put bike lights or glow sticks on them so no one trod on them after dark! Just relax into the weekend - enjoy whatever music you happen to be near. We soon realised that running from one stage to the next is not always possible, so went with the flow and over the years have heard some fantastic acts that we might not have chosen. 

There is loads of room in the family camping and no one minds baby noise so don't worry - it will disturb you more than anyone else.

Try and get hold of some baby ear defenders - ours really did not like it if the music was too loud. Oh how things have changed!

Enjoy it - we have such fantastic family memories from WOMAD. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 2:36 AM, midnight said:

I took my son in a trolley once he was a bit bigger (3). At 11 months, he was happiest in a sling or back carrier, falling asleep snuggled up to a parent. Plus, I was still feeding, so easy to calm him (might not be the case in your family).

Highly likely, baby will have sensory overload - so fall asleep at odd times. Mine was the lousiest sleeper, ever. But even he crashed out. Depends a bit on how much routine matters to you. As long as you can carry them with you, you can go wherever you want with them. If you are able to carry them, you can be out and about as long as you like. But one of you has to be fit in the morning! 🤪

I wouldn't worry too much about a baby crying in family camping. People are prepared for that. It's what babies do. I remember one night, a kid being sick (not mine, fortunately!), crying and swearing like a trooper. No one batted an eyelid (or if they did, they kept quiet about it). 

We’ll def be taking our carrier, she’s quite mobile now so not sure how long she’ll be happy to be carried in these days, but might like it when tired.

I’ve heard about the sensory overload and extra naps from a couple of friends. It seemed to have the opposite effect on her when we did a day at Love Supreme a few weeks ago. Was super hard to get her down for a nap as she wanted to see everything and make friends with everyone within about 10m of her, was really funny and one of the highlights of the day, not sure it’s sustainable for 4 days though haha

Thanks again for your replies!!

21 hours ago, Suzj said:

Our son has had his first birthday at the very first Charlton Park WOMAD with his then 3 year old sister. We have been every year since then (apart from the last 2 obvs) and he will be 16 this year. They love it as much now as when they were little. It is a great place to take children.

In the early years, a back pack was good - they get a nice view and no getting lost in crowds. They would sleep on a pile of fleeces. We put bike lights or glow sticks on them so no one trod on them after dark! Just relax into the weekend - enjoy whatever music you happen to be near. We soon realised that running from one stage to the next is not always possible, so went with the flow and over the years have heard some fantastic acts that we might not have chosen. 

There is loads of room in the family camping and no one minds baby noise so don't worry - it will disturb you more than anyone else.

Try and get hold of some baby ear defenders - ours really did not like it if the music was too loud. Oh how things have changed!

Enjoy it - we have such fantastic family memories from WOMAD. 

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Awesome, sounds like we’ve picked a good first festival for her then! Hopefully it might be our new yearly tradition as well!

Falling asleep in a pile of fleeces sounds lovely, I might try that myself!

I’ve fully prepared myself for not actually seeing anything I want to 🙂 To be honest, I’ve not heard of a lot of the acts anyway so looking forward to finding some new music!

We have ear defenders already, we were at a day festival a few weeks ago and she was pretty happy wearing them!

On 7/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

Awesome, sounds like we’ve picked a good first festival for her then! Hopefully it might be our new yearly tradition as well!

you have:...  womad is probably the best festival for little kids, not too many inconsiderate drunks, with lots of space and kids activities if the kids needs some structured activities.  

On 7/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Falling asleep in a pile of fleeces sounds lovely, I might try that myself!

I’ve fully prepared myself for not actually seeing anything I want to 🙂 To be honest, I’ve not heard of a lot of the acts anyway so looking forward to finding some new music!

We have ear defenders already, we were at a day festival a few weeks ago and she was pretty happy wearing them!

You will be okay at Womad, lots of space camping, never any trouble, as safe as it gets.