Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

Back in it . 2019 I was heavily into CrossFit and felt good and then the dreaded lockdown / laziness set it . But I’ve lost a stone during -/since glastonbury and swimming most days in the sea … next I’ll add In the gym and yoga (I used to love yoga ) and see where that takes me . Counting calories / macros and hopefully the results continue at a substainable pace 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, paulshane said:

so today weigh in: 12st.3

goal for next festival 10st.6ish

weight going down, but also going up too... however today I am at 12.0, so a cumulative loss 🙂

looking at my google fit history, i've barely moved sine the festival, so I need to make the most of the light evenings for the next couple of months and do some miles on my bike.

I started before Glastonbury with life style changes. Lost 2 stone and feel better, seemed to be stuck at present. Kept up the walking and sensible portion sizes,  and generally cut out the crap food.

Its the booze that needs to be worked on. Drinking less but still drinking

After Glastonbury, a 10 day holiday followed by the last 3 days carrying on the ale and scran this evening I signed up to a metric marathon (26km) on 2nd October.

Start tomorrow then after this last beer, pack of crisps and Colin The Caterpillar in a jar. Going out with a bang. 

I'm slowly amping up the rowing at home, gonna have to do something about the blisters and the achiness in my knuckles tho. Might look into curcuma capsules. 

My plan was to row all the way to Glastonbury from where I'm currently living - which is 997km away. So far, I'm only about 10km closer 😛

It's all for fun though. As long as my body gets healthier in general, i.e. lose weight, tone up, improve stamina, then I'll be happy.

Must also get used to getting back in the saddle faster after a weekend away/Stag or whatever. I needed a week off after the last long weekend of boozing!

• 1 month later...

Well, finally happened. Officially and formally retired from rugby after yet another concussion last weekend. Just had too many over the years to keep risking it 😭

On the plus side that frees me up to do other stuff without having to worry about missing games or focusing on the wrong areas! Love getting rid of a bit of decision fatigue!

Also means I'm much less likely to pick up injuries, so will actually be able to keep fitter! Every cloud and all that 😉

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It's nice to know there are other people out there that feel they could lose a few lbs and get a bit fitter. Me included!

Since the pandemic, I've been at home for so much of my time, food became my only outlet because I like to cook.

I despise running, and swimming takes up so much time with changing and travelling to the local pool etc, so I decided to buy a rowing machine! My wife thinks I'm crazy and that it's just a fad, but I really think it's the best solution.

Also, it's low impact and as I'm getting older, my knees and ankles seem to have deteriorated a lot in the last few years.

Good luck everyone!

find out if there's a walking football or walking cricket team in your area and join those for some regular exercise and fun

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Well, finally happened. Officially and formally retired from rugby after yet another concussion last weekend. Just had too many over the years to keep risking it 😭

On the plus side that frees me up to do other stuff without having to worry about missing games or focusing on the wrong areas! Love getting rid of a bit of decision fatigue!

Also means I'm much less likely to pick up injuries, so will actually be able to keep fitter! Every cloud and all that 😉

Hope you're OK lad x

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Hope you're OK lad x

Yes pal, on the scale of things it really wasn't a bad one. Thoughts just a wee bit scrambled for a few hours. Gutted to have to hang up the boots more than anything, but does mean I get to get to perfect the art of being a touchline w*nker 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neil said:

find out if there's a walking football or walking cricket team in your area and join those for some regular exercise and fun

That's the dream in the future. Just need to start having full night sleeps and hitting that sweet spot where the kids can fend for themselves enough so I can bugger off for a few hours without anything endangering happening, haha

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That's the dream in the future. Just need to start having full night sleeps and hitting that sweet spot where the kids can fend for themselves enough so I can bugger off for a few hours without anything endangering happening, haha

i do walkjing football, with a bunch of other old gits  (male and female)with health issues, and theres another team there, that's just old gits with no health issue), both are friendly fun and sociable.

i've recently found out that theres walking  cricket that happens just round the corner, not sure i'd be good for that with my issues. might give it a go one day, perhaps a week when i don't do the football, as the cricket would give me some exercise. i'm currently waiting for my doc to refer me to the local leisure centre gym with personal trainer, as hopefully the nhs will cover some of the price.

I'm heading back more often to the council gym with a discounted membership (bonus!) with MrsCJ. Swimming tonight, and yoga with my eldest on Thursdays. I want to be healthier for 51 weeks, and a streamlined festival goer, effortlessly getting through the crowds for 1 week. Dropping 2" waistline is the goal. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

On 10/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, Quark said:

Yes pal, on the scale of things it really wasn't a bad one. Thoughts just a wee bit scrambled for a few hours. Gutted to have to hang up the boots more than anything, but does mean I get to get to perfect the art of being a touchline w*nker 😄

Hope you've recovered mate.

Felt the same when I stopped playing football at a decent level, played Vets for a couple of seasons afterwards but it wasn't quite the same.  I don't miss it all now though, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday took so much out of the week and that was before kids.  Happy playing a bit of 5 a-side on a Wednesday night now and enjoy taking the 6 year old to training and games.  Only yesterday I enrolled to do my first coaching course, I've been reffing junior games for a couple of years and it's nice to stay involved.

I've earmarked my first ever triathlon for April of next year.

I've been following a free olympic distance training programme for the last 8 weeks or so.

I haven't lost any weight (in fact I've actually put weight on!)

WHY.

I'm swimming x 2, Running x 2 and biking x 2 a week.

What is this witchcraft.