Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

2 hours ago, Quark said:

My suggestion (heavy caveat of not being remotely trained 😄) would be to look at a total body workout, use compound lifts so that if you do a strength session then you've basically worked everything in one hit. Something (broadly) along the lines of:

A leg exercise (squat or leg press)
Deadlift (done properly it's probably the best compound lift there is)
An upper / middle back exercise (a row or a pulldown, ideally both but you can alternate between them each time you go)
A chest exercise (machine, barbell or dumbbell press)
A shoulder exercise (machine, barbell or dumbbell press)

With those you'll pretty much cover everything you need to, without having to remember loads of exercises or over-complicate it with needing to fit in multiple sessions in a week to cover everything off. 5 or 6 exercises, can get through that lot in an hour tops.

Again, just a suggestion!

Thanks for the tips! I need to unpack my free weights which are boxed up under the spare bed 

I have said a few times to folk, don't underestimate the power of walking to the supermarket with backpack, carrying a basket round the shop and then carrying gear home. Do that a couple of times a week and you benefit.

Depending on how far you live from the supermarket / how much you have to purchase of course 

14 hours ago, Quark said:

For me, preseason starts on Thursday night and I'm signing up for the local half marathon in September to give me something else to work to.

My wife and I ran a half marathon at the end of May, the training for that run definitely carried me through Glastonbury and made the weekend less painful.

Walking, and plenty of it. Strenuous exercise as we get older isn’t necessarily the right approach. I felt perfectly fit for Glastonbury because in 2020 I started walking, and moderate hiking, almost every day (Did 1,100 miles that year), so aiming for around 3 miles a day is realistic for most people and not putting undue pressure on joints which running does. I find that system works for me generally but specifically made the festival relatively easy. And mainly avoiding the crowded areas helps too. They soon sap the energy. 

• Upvote 1

I managed to get 2 stone off for this years festival , was great motivation. I lost about 4 weeks due to covid though just after I’d started doing some weights as well as cardio. The weights made a big difference in my power and energy for lifting and walking and I was feeling amazing until covid knocked me back a bit.  

I’ve prob got another stone to go but more importantly this time is flexibility. Our camp was like a saga holiday water aerobic scene in the mornings with the elder amongst us (late 40s) trying to fix sore backs , hips knees and anything and everything else. Going to try to get time for stretches or some yoga type stuff as well as ramping up on the cardio and weights.

The main thing for me is getting started early- every time there will be a setback of sorts then you start to run out of time and either give up or do too much too soon.  11 months is ideal (provided can get a ticket but working on basis I will for motivation!)

good luck all those getting stuck in!

• Upvote 1

Gonna try and shed 8kg …. I’m 104kg and that’s far too much … I’ve the added complication of type 1 diabetes so need to have carbs when I don’t really want them … it’s gonna be interesting as I’ve never really tried weight loss before 

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Gonna try and shed 8kg …. I’m 104kg and that’s far too much … I’ve the added complication of type 1 diabetes so need to have carbs when I don’t really want them … it’s gonna be interesting as I’ve never really tried weight loss before 

I have to say I'm not totally clued up on diabetes and the ins and outs of the diff types, but I'm assuming it's a challenge if you want to work out?

Good luck! It's a challenge getting up and doing exercise anyway without the added issue of complication of something like diabetes. 

Are there types of exercise that are more recommended in that case?

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Did this "beginner" routine for the first time today.

It's made muscles hurt I didn't know existed. Hoping it will aid me to lose about a stone in the coming months.

Rowing can be absolutely brutal. So many ways to make your body hate you.

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I have to say I'm not totally clued up on diabetes and the ins and outs of the diff types, but I'm assuming it's a challenge if you want to work out?

Good luck! It's a challenge getting up and doing exercise anyway without the added issue of complication of something like diabetes. 

Are there types of exercise that are more recommended in that case?

Basically I need to keep my sugars within a range … too high and I shouldn’t exercise too low and I should stop and eat carbs therefore defeating the point of the excercise … it is possible as has been proven by Gary Mabutt and Steve Redgrave both famous sportsmen with type 1 .. I’ll probably need to seek some decent advice though … it’s not gonna be easy but it is possible … excercise type won’t really matter … they will just effect in different ways and at different speeds 

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Did this "beginner" routine for the first time today.

It's made muscles hurt I didn't know existed. Hoping it will aid me to lose about a stone in the coming months.

I used to be really into rowing … used to do 10k rows in about 30mins …. Just built it up very slowly and then added pace bursts into it … it’s so good for fitness that 

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Basically I need to keep my sugars within a range … too high and I shouldn’t exercise too low and I should stop and eat carbs therefore defeating the point of the excercise … it is possible as has been proven by Gary Mabutt and Steve Redgrave both famous sportsmen with type 1 .. I’ll probably need to seek some decent advice though … it’s not gonna be easy but it is possible … excercise type won’t really matter … they will just effect in different ways and at different speeds 

Damn, that sounds like a fine balancing out for the average Joe. I hope you reach your goal without too much hassle!

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I used to be really into rowing … used to do 10k rows in about 30mins …. Just built it up very slowly and then added pace bursts into it … it’s so good for fitness that 

That's really impressive! Think I "moved" about 1.4km in 20 mins, lol.

It's kind of a new option for me. I despise running - really fucks my knees and ankles up. Swimming takes an age with all the changing and showering etc. Cycling is okay, but I do that for work and you need to go massive distances to make a difference. Plus it doesn't really work anything of your upper body and it's so easy to coast when you're downhill or on long flats.

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Damn, that sounds like a fine balancing out for the average Joe. I hope you reach your goal without too much hassle!

That's really impressive! Think I "moved" about 1.4km in 20 mins, lol.

It's kind of a new option for me. I despise running - really fucks my knees and ankles up. Swimming takes an age with all the changing and showering etc. Cycling is okay, but I do that for work and you need to go massive distances to make a difference. Plus it doesn't really work anything of your upper body and it's so easy to coast when you're downhill or on long flats.

It’s quite a lot based on decent technique and it’s tough at first … I remember that from the times I stopped .. I was pretty much doing it daily and built up over a few years . Now I swim which is much more gentle but need to get back to doing that more regularly. Just keep challenging yourself to go either a bit further or a bit faster than the previous session . 

On 7/6/2022 at 7:53 AM, Avalon_Fields said:

Walking, and plenty of it. Strenuous exercise as we get older isn’t necessarily the right approach. I felt perfectly fit for Glastonbury because in 2020 I started walking, and moderate hiking, almost every day (Did 1,100 miles that year), so aiming for around 3 miles a day is realistic for most people and not putting undue pressure on joints which running does. I find that system works for me generally but specifically made the festival relatively easy. And mainly avoiding the crowded areas helps too. They soon sap the energy. 

Yep walking has always been my exercise of choice. I have just gone from averaging 25k steps a day to being lucky to make 10k! 

• Upvote 1

This Glasto I managed 15/20k a day whilst recovering from a fractured patella (knee) thanks to the last couple of years lifestyle changes and heavy strapping on leg!

Over the years had an on/off gym membership, never really enjoyed it much.  During spring 2020 cancelled gym & did couch to 5k and fell in love with running (well I love it when I've finished the run!)  I'm not fast and I don't go far, 10k is my furthest but I do it consistently.  I even got a 5k PB 4days after Glasto 😁 the stats are not reason I continue, it's the mental health benefits I gain from it, being outside with my tunes blasting.  I'm not a natural runner, I'm not built to run, but I do it anyway!

Yoga; my advice to anyone, give it a try, I always thought nah, it's not for me but I'm converted and I bang on about it to anyone that will listen.  I do 10/15mins every morning before work, so I have to get up at 4.30am to fit it in!  And a longer 45min session once a week.  Literally in my lounge, on the floor with a YouTube video, Yoga With Adriene has hundreds of vids for all levels, and I'm a little bit in love with her.  My core strength has never been so good, years of gym workouts that always felt a chore didn't gain the results I'm seeing from Yoga.  And my mental wellbeing is improving.  I did some outside my campervan yoga 3 mornings at Glasto, one of them in drizzling rain and man it set me up beautifully for the day.  The breathing aspect is so calming, it really helps quell the inner rage.

I don't care how much I weigh, don't own scales, think that might come with age though like you reach mid 40s and you're like fuck this shit.

Anyway bit of a ramble, sorry.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/7/2022 at 9:52 PM, Quark said:

Rowing can be absolutely brutal. So many ways to make your body hate you.

I just really despise running - it fucks my knees, hips, and ankles up. Swimming is an option, but it's the time invested that's a problem. With the rowing machine, I can do a whole body workout, whilst still being at home, and having one eye on my son who runs about like a mad hatter.

Thought about the Modern Family episode where Phil runs to Canada, but I could row to Glastonbury. I checked today, it's about 950 km from Hamburg, which means I would need to build up to 5 km per session... It's not realistic, but it's pretty fun.

6 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

This Glasto I managed 15/20k a day whilst recovering from a fractured patella (knee) thanks to the last couple of years lifestyle changes and heavy strapping on leg!

Over the years had an on/off gym membership, never really enjoyed it much.  During spring 2020 cancelled gym & did couch to 5k and fell in love with running (well I love it when I've finished the run!)  I'm not fast and I don't go far, 10k is my furthest but I do it consistently.  I even got a 5k PB 4days after Glasto 😁 the stats are not reason I continue, it's the mental health benefits I gain from it, being outside with my tunes blasting.  I'm not a natural runner, I'm not built to run, but I do it anyway!

Yoga; my advice to anyone, give it a try, I always thought nah, it's not for me but I'm converted and I bang on about it to anyone that will listen.  I do 10/15mins every morning before work, so I have to get up at 4.30am to fit it in!  And a longer 45min session once a week.  Literally in my lounge, on the floor with a YouTube video, Yoga With Adriene has hundreds of vids for all levels, and I'm a little bit in love with her.  My core strength has never been so good, years of gym workouts that always felt a chore didn't gain the results I'm seeing from Yoga.  And my mental wellbeing is improving.  I did some outside my campervan yoga 3 mornings at Glasto, one of them in drizzling rain and man it set me up beautifully for the day.  The breathing aspect is so calming, it really helps quell the inner rage.

I don't care how much I weigh, don't own scales, think that might come with age though like you reach mid 40s and you're like fuck this shit.

Anyway bit of a ramble, sorry.  

That's awesome. I'm a big fan of yoga and did it for a while before life got in the way. There's definitely a peace of mind factor with exercise in general - I feel better, clearer, like everything is getting flushed around better. 

No need to apologise, ramble on!

I hope that this thread encourages each of us to better ourselves and if we don't even get a ticket at next year's event, the gains we've made from doing something and sharing it will be a small consolation. 

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

@Superscally please tell us what mad thing you have on the horizon 😀

So...maybe this weekend I run across Ireland in 24h? Maybe not 🤣

Looking at starting at 2200 Sat night. You may track me here - if you zoom out on the map, you get to see my route! 

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/edge22/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

So...maybe this weekend I run across Ireland in 24h? Maybe not 🤣

Looking at starting at 2200 Sat night. You may track me here - if you zoom out on the map, you get to see my route! 

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/edge22/

Are you doing it for fun ? Or any cause ? 

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Are you doing it for fun ? Or any cause ? 

I'll be asking people to check out and consider joining/signing up for an event/supporting WWF and Peace Direct as usual, but not raising money per se. This is more about pushing myself in a run I don't think I can do and reminding people it's OK to try and fail sometimes...

• Like 2

Currently 16 stone and fat 🤣 I lost nearly 2 stone during the OG lockdown through hiking and cycling but when second lockdown hit I lost all motivation and put the weight back on. I struggled this year and was fucked by midnight with all the extra walking because we were staying in bath showground (never again), hoping to be 14 stone for Glastonbury 2023 🤞

• Upvote 1