Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

There are a few of us who no doubt found Glastonbury a little harder this year because our fitness had slipped a little during the pandemic so thought I'd do a thread to help us all better able to last the course next year. Being totally honest until I have recovered from COVID and had my birthday I'll be doing nothing but giving myself about 11 months to be fitter, happier and more productive at Glastonbury 2023. 

Share your stories etc etc as always. 

• Like 2

I'm in! 🙂 Fitness wise, I actually found it a bit easier this year since 2019. I jumped on the Peloton craze during lockdown and dropped close to 5 stone up to Christmas. Then work got manic and my mum died in May so the bike started to become an expensive clothes horse and my new wardrobe started getting a bit tight 😳 The decent amount of fitness I gained didn't totally disappear though which I'm glad of. My level of fitness in 2019 was so rubbish that, coupled with the heat, it totally knackered me 

I braved the scales yesterday and have around 25lbs to get off, and I jumped back on the bike for the first time in a couple of months last night. My mum actually bought it for me and was dead chuffed and proud of my achievements. Seems a bit wrong to let it just be something else to dust and I actually do love using it 

Edited by Digi
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I am back on this for sure. I dropped two stone in 2020, to 10.6 (an arbritary number thats a 'good' bmi for my height, 5ft7ish) but have put pretty much all of it all back on since and am now noticably chubby.

The issue is that in the first lockdown, while I was still working, I was working from home so had ample time to cycle 30km a day, now i'm back commuting, but the time I get home and eat, I just want to sleep, so I need to work out some better time management.

so today weigh in: 12st.3

goal for next festival 10st.6ish

Not so much about weight loss but lifting ability. The bag I brought in this year was an absolute monster. Would never have managed it without training in advance. 

I did start running low on cider though so would ideally would like to get an additional crate in the bag next year. 

I didn’t manage to weigh my fully loaded bag this year but it was heavy. 

51 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not so much about weight loss but lifting ability. The bag I brought in this year was an absolute monster. Would never have managed it without training in advance. 

I did start running low on cider though so would ideally would like to get an additional crate in the bag next year. 

I think adding some weights is going to be my next thing. Cardiovascular wise I'm OK I guess. I am defintely NOT strong though. I have access to loads of strength classes via Peloton but just can't really motivate myself when it comes to weight training. Any tips? 🙂

Felt great this year, back and forth to the car wasn't an issue and made sure I carried just enough to make the 2km trip from car to the tent.

Note to self, plenty of farmers walks in the gym next year again.

57 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Need to ask @Superscallywhat he does apart from the obvious running bleeding everywhere as his bag was a beast!!

Yep for me this thread is always about fitness rather than weight loss. Weight loss can be an inevitable and in some people's case a welcome part of it but my focus is on being able to walk more, dance longer etc. 

6 minutes ago, Digi said:

I think adding some weights is going to be my next thing. Cardiovascular wise I'm OK I guess. I am defintely NOT strong though. I have access to loads of strength classes via Peloton but just can't really motivate myself when it comes to weight training. Any tips? 🙂

Is the motivation because you don't like it or don't know what you're doing with them?

I ask as that's generally a theme. If people don't know how to build a weights workout, what they should be doing with them or how the body / muscles should feel when you do an exercise then a visit to the gym is generally pretty aimless and unsatisfying.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Need to ask @Superscallywhat he does apart from the obvious running bleeding everywhere as his bag was a beast!!

Yep for me this thread is always about fitness rather than weight loss. Weight loss can be an inevitable and in some people's case a welcome part of it but my focus is on being able to walk more, dance longer etc. 

Carrying the weight is generally a combo of core strength to support it, leg strength and stamina, a decent bag to carry the weight well, and the cardio fitness to keep it all working.

Like most things I think it also boils down to just, well, doing it.  You can do incremental training to add percentage points onto performance, but fundamentally to get better at a thing you just do a thing more.

Fitness for Glastonbury advice is really pretty simple in that respect I think. If you want to be better at being on your feet, walking around site and dancing then get used to being on your feet and walking around. Incorporate walking into your day as much as possible. Use stairs. Walk instead of driving if you can, or cycle. Or take the bus if it means walking to and from the bus stop. Get out walking at weekends. Just be on your feet more.

Stuff beyond that is always good. Running, weights, cycling, team sport, all that good stuff. But just getting used to being on your feet more is the foundation.

9 minutes ago, Digi said:

My training was very festival specific. I’m lucky that I live within a 45 minute walk of my work. I took a medium sized rucksack and a couple of times a week I’d walk to work and back. Each time adding more weight to the bag. I was using bottles of water as my weights. 

This way I was exercising the specific muscles needed for walking with a weighty bag. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Is the motivation because you don't like it or don't know what you're doing with them?

I ask as that's generally a theme. If people don't know how to build a weights workout, what they should be doing with them or how the body / muscles should feel when you do an exercise then a visit to the gym is generally pretty aimless and unsatisfying.

I think a bit of both really if I'm honest. I've been down the PT route in past etc and I just don't think I enjoy it quite as much as cardio type exercise (particularly spinning) but I recognise the benefits. I should perhaps book a couple of sessions and go again. I'm not really all that far off where I want to be weight wise and it's less important to me than what being healthy and strong is 

This is just what I need... I didn't struggle at Glasto, as I'm surprisingly active normally, but I am VERY over weight, and have promised myself I will lose weight, both for Florida in September, and for Glasto next year!!!

I'll weigh in later. 🙂 

Just now, Quark said:

Carrying the weight is generally a combo of core strength to support it, leg strength and stamina, a decent bag to carry the weight well, and the cardio fitness to keep it all working.

Like most things I think it also boils down to just, well, doing it.  You can do incremental training to add percentage points onto performance, but fundamentally to get better at a thing you just do a thing more.

Fitness for Glastonbury advice is really pretty simple in that respect I think. If you want to be better at being on your feet, walking around site and dancing then get used to being on your feet and walking around. Incorporate walking into your day as much as possible. Use stairs. Walk instead of driving if you can, or cycle. Or take the bus if it means walking to and from the bus stop. Get out walking at weekends. Just be on your feet more.

Stuff beyond that is always good. Running, weights, cycling, team sport, all that good stuff. But just getting used to being on your feet more is the foundation.

Yep I was in the habit pre-pandemic but pandemic and Nuala's ability to walk screwed it up completely so just a case of building it up again. Not as easy now as Nuala will only do one walk a day and is still hit and miss with walking occasionally so harder to just bundle the dogs in the car and go for a long walk like we used to but definitely need to at least improve this. 

I'm a stone lighter and a lot fitter this year compared with 2019 and it was noticeable.  So, incentive now to get shut of more (plus a talking to by the doctor last week), another 2 stone would be good but I'm not going to get hung on a number and instead focus on feeling fitter and clothes fitting better.  

Just now, Digi said:

I think a bit of both really if I'm honest. I've been down the PT route in past etc and I just don't think I enjoy it quite as much as cardio type exercise (particularly spinning) but I recognise the benefits. I should perhaps book a couple of sessions and go again. I'm not really all that far off where I want to be weight wise and it's less important to me than what being healthy and strong is 

My suggestion (heavy caveat of not being remotely trained 😄) would be to look at a total body workout, use compound lifts so that if you do a strength session then you've basically worked everything in one hit. Something (broadly) along the lines of:

A leg exercise (squat or leg press)
Deadlift (done properly it's probably the best compound lift there is)
An upper / middle back exercise (a row or a pulldown, ideally both but you can alternate between them each time you go)
A chest exercise (machine, barbell or dumbbell press)
A shoulder exercise (machine, barbell or dumbbell press)

With those you'll pretty much cover everything you need to, without having to remember loads of exercises or over-complicate it with needing to fit in multiple sessions in a week to cover everything off. 5 or 6 exercises, can get through that lot in an hour tops.

Again, just a suggestion!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I was in the habit pre-pandemic but pandemic and Nuala's ability to walk screwed it up completely so just a case of building it up again. Not as easy now as Nuala will only do one walk a day and is still hit and miss with walking occasionally so harder to just bundle the dogs in the car and go for a long walk like we used to but definitely need to at least improve this. 

Might be pushing it (pun intended) but is one of those stroller-type things an option for Nuala?

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

My training was very festival specific. I’m lucky that I live within a 45 minute walk of my work. I took a medium sized rucksack and a couple of times a week I’d walk to work and back. Each time adding more weight to the bag. I was using bottles of water as my weights. 

This way I was exercising the specific muscles needed for walking with a weighty bag. 

It actually sounds like a really good plan. We were in a camper this year for the first time so I never had that whole 'I feel like I'm going to die lugging all my shit in' feeling. I'm off to Kendal in a few weeks though and camping so we shall see how pushing the trolley with a rucksack on my back feels as a baseline

I too live about a 45 minute walk to and from work. I'm not going to commit to walking it every day (I do 4 x 9.5hr shifts) but even a couple of times on the days I don't plan to jump on the Peloton should be doable 🙂

My dad is 80 in a few weeks and is climbing Snowdon for his 80th the raise money for the ICU who looked after my mum. He puts me to shame with his fitness 

4 minutes ago, Digi said:

I too live about a 45 minute walk to and from work. I'm not going to commit to walking it every day (I do 4 x 9.5hr shifts) but even a couple of times on the days I don't plan to jump on the Peloton should be doable 🙂

I think this is often a major hurdle for people, especially starting or changing an exercise regime. We get stuck in the notion of fitting a training plan into a 7 day week and then repeating it the next, when that's pretty arbitrary when you think about it. Or that stuff needs to be done a certain number of times in a week in order to have an impact. A plan can be spread over a week, or a fortnight, or a month. Or you can work completely outside that, doing 2 days on and a day off and following that cycle, regardless of where it lands in a week.

Ultimately doing anything more than you already do is an improvement!

Key is always finding that sweet spot of fitting in with your life, being enjoyable, and being sufficiently challenging to improve your fitness. If you can find that, you're laughing.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Might be pushing it (pun intended) but is one of those stroller-type things an option for Nuala?

You haven't met Nuala 😄 The phrase stubborn bitch was invented for her. We just need to keep up her rehab as well. She refused to walk all week with the dog sitter and then took us on a 10k step walk so she can do it when she wants to but we are very much reliant on her wanting to! 

But the 3 hour hikes we were doing with her pre-pandemic we can't really do any more. Not good for managing her arthritis. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Love a big bag, me. So much cannage.

It's nice to know there are other people out there that feel they could lose a few lbs and get a bit fitter. Me included!

Since the pandemic, I've been at home for so much of my time, food became my only outlet because I like to cook.

I despise running, and swimming takes up so much time with changing and travelling to the local pool etc, so I decided to buy a rowing machine! My wife thinks I'm crazy and that it's just a fad, but I really think it's the best solution.

Also, it's low impact and as I'm getting older, my knees and ankles seem to have deteriorated a lot in the last few years.

Good luck everyone!