Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

As much as I'd love to see Radiohead (one of my favorite bands) in RW again, I don't see it happening in '23 unfortunately. They were supposed to tour in '21 but I don't know if they still fancy playing together at this point. Maybe it's unrelated, maybe they are just taking a longer break than usual but the formation of The Smile confused me a bit tbh, because from a music style perspective "A light for attracting attention" could have been a Radiohead album. In any case, there is very little time between the end of The Smile tour (22 Dec) and RW '23 for such a big band to prepare for a new tour I think. I really hope I'm wrong!

However, I do expect Thom Yorke to be there with one of his projects. Same with Damon Albarn. And if they are both there in any shape or form, I'll be happy!

21 hours ago, Codhead said:

Dreaming and I know it'll never happen but I want. Foos, Placebo, Snow Patrol and Greenday as headliners

17 hours ago, Codhead said:
19 hours ago, SweetJesus said:

Weak, very very weak

In your opinion, which i disagree with.

Well... If those are the biggest acts each day. Then sorry to burst your bubble but that is pretty weak, nothing to do with opinions. Placebo are sub-headliner at most.  They were only 3rd last on TW Classic. Wouldn't be surprised if they play the Barn (as headliner ofcourse) next time.

Snow Patrol is barely a subheadliner these days.

Think the years that Green Day was a stand-alone headliner are gone. They were once asked to co-headline with Blur (if I'm not mistaken) and they declined. And RW wasn't interested in them as a standalone headliner.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

Think the years that Green Day was a stand-alone headliner are gone. They were once asked to co-headline with Blur (if I'm not mistaken) and they declined. And RW wasn't interested in them as a standalone headliner.

If Green Day are offered anything less than an outright headliner slot somewhere then frankly they should turn it down at this point. If they've simply not got the fans in Belgium then fair enough but they just headlined several fests next door in France and Germany.

5 hours ago, BenG92 said:

If Green Day are offered anything less than an outright headliner slot somewhere then frankly they should turn it down at this point. If they've simply not got the fans in Belgium then fair enough but they just headlined several fests next door in France and Germany.

They're gonna be paid the same either way, if Pearl Jam and Metallica aren't outright headlining then Green Day don't have a leg to stand on.

5 hours ago, Boss89 said:

Well... If those are the biggest acts each day. Then sorry to burst your bubble but that is pretty weak, nothing to do with opinions. Placebo are sub-headliner at most.  They were only 3rd last on TW Classic. Wouldn't be surprised if they play the Barn (as headliner ofcourse) next time.

Snow Patrol is barely a subheadliner these days.

Of course it's opinions, the 4 four bands I would love to see headline are those I stated, but like I also said zero chance of it happening, which is why I said I was dreaming.

9 hours ago, Aech said:

They're gonna be paid the same either way, if Pearl Jam and Metallica aren't outright headlining then Green Day don't have a leg to stand on.

GD will go for the closing headline slot on the strength of Hella Mega tour, which made them a proven stadium act. Same position as ID/RHCP this year. Whether they tour in 23 (unlikely imho) and will be offered the slot is a different question, but from my pov they put on the very quality show, comparable to this year's headliners so I will be very happy personally to see them headlining.

2 hours ago, Ferda said:

GD will go for the closing headline slot on the strength of Hella Mega tour, which made them a proven stadium act. Same position as ID/RHCP this year. Whether they tour in 23 (unlikely imho) and will be offered the slot is a different question, but from my pov they put on the very quality show, comparable to this year's headliners so I will be very happy personally to see them headlining.

Same as RHCP and Imagine Dragons only proves my point since they were als co-headlining with The Killers and Twenty One Pilots. Green Day + London Grammar for example is not a strong day for RW. Green Day + Tool or Green Day + Editors or something like that is something far more likely to happen. 

11 hours ago, Codhead said:

Of course it's opinions, the 4 four bands I would love to see headline are those I stated, but like I also said zero chance of it happening, which is why I said I was dreaming.

That you would love those 4 headliners is indeed an opinion. That these 4 being the 4 biggest bands on the line up is weak (for RW terms), is not an opinion but a fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boss89 said:

Same as RHCP and Imagine Dragons only proves my point since they were als co-headlining with The Killers and Twenty One Pilots. Green Day + London Grammar for example is not a strong day for RW. Green Day + Tool or Green Day + Editors or something like that is something far more likely to happen. 

Green Day can bang out their Hella Mega setlist in 90 minute with a few small cuts, so I'm sure they'd take the opportunity as long as they were on last. QOTSA into Green Day would work well for example. IMO they shouldn't be "opening" for anyone even if the set times are the same - which didn't quite pan out this year with both The Killers and 21P being a little short.

• Upvote 2

Considering who played this year, earlier comments, cancelled appearances, rumours (e.g. Blur reunion), almost impossible ones (Radiohead, AC/DC, etc.), I'd be happy with something like this:

Thu: Blur // Eddie Vedder (w. Glen Hansard) // Foals // The Brian Jonestown Massacre 

Fri: TOOL // QOTSA // NIN // Mastodon 

Sat: Massive Attack // The Strokes // Thom Yorke or The Smile // Interpol

Sun: RATM // SOAD // Dropkick Murphys or Alestorm // Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats // All Them Witches

Edited by Floyd_Ams

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Count Tool out sadly, they will only play on a new album tour - which this time shouldn't take another 13 years! 

Thank God I've never seen a more boring gig, why the fuck does the frontman hide in the back with no lights or cameras? Headliners my ass.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Aech said:

Thank God I've never seen a more boring gig, why the fuck does the frontman hide in the back with no lights or cameras? Headliners my ass.

They're about their music and visual show in a way that a lot of DJs are, they don't need to run around waving at the sides of the crowd and clapping their hands to a beat and doing singalongs - doesn't work for every act. 

In fact it kinda makes sense why I saw so many Tool shirts at RW, the somewhat placid Belgians probably love that about their show, you sit back and enjoy the ride. 

3 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Considering who played this year, earlier comments, cancelled appearances, rumours (e.g. Blur reunion), almost impossible ones (Radiohead, AC/DC, etc.), I'd be happy with something like this:

Thu: Blur // Eddie Vedder (w. Glen Hansard) // Foals // The Brian Jonestown Massacre 

Fri: TOOL // QOTSA // NIN // Mastodon 

Sat: Massive Attack // The Strokes // Thom Yorke or The Smile // Interpol

Sun: RATM // SOAD // Dropkick Murphys or Alestorm // Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats // All Them Witches

Like the look of this but I think you forgot to include the Saturday for the younger crowd acts in there, not that it bothers me 😅

Edited by polnico

38 minutes ago, polnico said:

Like the look of this but I think you forgot to include the Saturday for the younger crowd acts in there, not that it bothers me 😅

Yeah...it was intentional...wishful thinking 😂. Looking back though, there was no other Saturday as bad as this year's in that regard. It was a mixed situation at least. So there is hope!

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

They're about their music and visual show in a way that a lot of DJs are, they don't need to run around waving at the sides of the crowd and clapping their hands to a beat and doing singalongs - doesn't work for every act. 

In fact it kinda makes sense why I saw so many Tool shirts at RW, the somewhat placid Belgians probably love that about their show, you sit back and enjoy the ride. 

Definitely, it was like the crowd were paralysed where they stood in 2019.

1 minute ago, The Black said:

I think it's time for a double main stage (like Graspop and Hellfest). There are many good acts in the Klub C and Barn which you have to make a choice of, otherwise you cannot enter the other.

Not sure I agree here, I think the setup works nicely. A festival is also about making choices, if you want to see every act, you can always buy tickets for indoor shows. Those closed doors are indeed sometimes annoying, but I feel like a double main stage would not work well (hated this so much at Primavera).

9 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Is this certain or an educated guess based on new music coming? They could definitely get a nice spot in the Barn!

They already had scheduled tour for 2021, like playing on Nova Rock, Hellfest etc., but because of the corona and Tool tour it is postponed, so I’m 99% they will be back next year

• Like 1

Yeah another +1 to double stage sucking at Primavera, I know it's been done better elsewhere but the RW setup is absolutely fine. You can't possibly see every act at a festival, you have to make choices and that includes getting into the tents in good time. In fact the only time we missed out was because everyone hid from the rain at Cigarettes After Sex.