Renaming of ther John Peel Stage - article in the Daily Hate

Yoghurt on a Stick

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's only whataboutery if I'm using it to defend Peel, which, as I've said in every single post I've made and you still don't seem to get: I'm not. And no-one really is. We all agree the should re-name the tent, so yeah, we're saying "what about?" other things as there's no real discussion to be had on the Peel front. And discussion is the entire point of a discussion forum.

What did you want this thread to be? Just everyone posting "yes" ?

That's fair enough - I think I'm happy to let it be on this one as a misrepresentation on my part. I think part of the reason i'm cranky is that people often use the line of argument of choosing beloved acts such as bowie to imply that unless you condemn are willing to god forbid condemn them, then you shouldn't condemn someone else.

• Upvote 1

As a former teacher I’ve seen the lyrics of the Police song don’t stand so close to me, played out many times. Instant dismissal and removal of teaching certificate is the inevitable result. Should be the same for anyone who is in contact with vulnerable teenagers. Certainly the tent needs to be renamed, as I suggested earlier call it the Solstice or Pilton stage. 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

it's the wrong side of the site for that.

How so? Stage is to the west / northwest of the site and the Tor is further west, no?

It's not the closest stage (guessing that would probably be the Park) but it's definitely not on the wrong side of the site. 

40 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But to be clear, there was no legal limit on drink driving until 1967. It was just illegal if you were "impaired".

The age of consent was still 16 throughout the 60s.

I’m not quite that old!

It was about 10 years later that I was doing it. The drink drive laws were thought of as the same as not having a dog license back then. You technically shouldn’t do it but everyone did

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

How so? Stage is to the west / northwest of the site and the Tor is further west, no?

It's not the closest stage (guessing that would probably be the Park) but it's definitely not on the wrong side of the site. 

the park stage is better sited to be named the tor stage.

Just now, Quark said:

Affectionately know as the "How the hell did you get in here again?" stage

he went in a pub in a village near bath on his way back from the fest, but he went in the wrong pub in that village, the other pub is very old, and very lovely.

12 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

If course if they do decide to rename, it will be held as a competition etc. with free tix as a prize or something...

Complete rethink.

Call it the eFests Stage, and instead of bands people can just go there to have cyclical arguments with strangers. Imagine the lineup.

11:30-12:15  Will Covid Ever Go Away?
12:45-13:30  Prince, Daft Punk and Other Rumours
14:00-14:45  What's Wrong With Silver Hayes?
15:15-16:00  Walking Boots Or Trainers?
16:30-17:30  Why Your Favourite Band Should Never Play
18:00-19:00  Is The Festival Too Expensive?
19:30-20:30  Simpsons Memes
21:00-22:00 Next Year's Weather (compered by Nal and Briddj with guest appearances from Dee and Dusty)
22:30-23:45 Are Foals Bigger Than The 1975?

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Complete rethink.

Call it the eFests Stage, and instead of bands people can just go there to have cyclical arguments with strangers. Imagine the lineup.

21:00-22:00 Next Year's Weather (compered by Nal and Briddj with guest appearances from Dee and Dusty)

What no Radiohead.... playing Pablo Honey in full?

As I asked in the other thread in same topic, has anyone made a fuss over Jimmy Page? Not that I know of (happy to concede that I may be totally wrong on this) and it’s fairly common knowledge. 
John Peel was not a Jimmy Saville as I’ve heard people suggesting. 

4 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

As I asked in the other thread in same topic, has anyone made a fuss over Jimmy Page? Not that I know of (happy to concede that I may be totally wrong on this) and it’s fairly common knowledge. 

They have, yes. It's pointed out frequently.

But there isn't a stage named after Jimmy Page

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Complete rethink.

Feels weird without "Will they be showing the football?"