Jump to content

Renaming of ther John Peel Stage - article in the Daily Hate


Recommended Posts

 

4 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

How about a 15 year old?

Seen the "didn't know their age at the time" deployed for a lot of the statements he made.

Weird how he apparently managed to get fooled on age consistently over many years and many incidents.

Edited by FrancisH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FrancisH said:

 

Seen the "didn't know their age at the time" deployed for a lot of the statements he made.

Weird how he apparently managed to get fooled on age consistently over many years and many incidents.

Yep. But realistically people know that, and they're being willingly naive in choosing to believe that a man with a history of having sex with children doesn't realise a 13 year old girl is 13. Please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nobby's Old Boots said:

So we're now suggesting he didn't know his own wife was 15.

No I pointed out that from what he said (quoted above) it appears he didn't know that girl was 13.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

Sex with a 13year old is i ndisputably wrong, but knowing she's 13 and not knowing are very different things. 

Oh come on.  Surely we all accept it's your responsibility to know how old someone is before sex. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

No I pointed out that from what he said (quoted above) it appears he didn't know that girl was 13.

Yes, then I asked if it's wrong to sleep with a 15 year old, and you said:

"same applies, knowing and not knowing are different things"

So now you know, that he DID know he was with a 15 year old, and you're talking about the 13 year old again.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/whataboutery 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Tell that to the judge 😛 

We all nly have that quote to condemn him by for that particular incident, so a careful reading of it matters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am guessing if your a 25 year old or so bloke and you are in a situation where you are questioning if someone might be 16 or not...  Then you might want to make fucking sure of it before diving in there if you had any sort of moral compass.  Clearly Peel was a disgusting little bastard and it needs just calling out as such, tent renamed and we can all move on 🙂 

Edited by Barry Fish
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I am guess if your a 25 year old bloke and you are in a situation where you are questioning if someone might be 16 or not...  Then you might want to make fucking sure of it before diving in there if you had any sort of moral compass.  Clearly Peel was a disgusting little bastard and it needs just calling out as such, tent renamed and we can all move on 🙂 

Nailed it🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Yes, then I asked if it's wrong to sleep with a 15 year old, and you said:

"same applies, knowing and not knowing are different things"

So now you know, that he DID know he was with a 15 year old, and you're talking about the 13 year old again.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/whataboutery 

I was sticking to what I'd said, rather than the different covo you wanted to have as your own whataboutery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, gfa said:

The issue people have is summarised by this quote from stuie. why is this even being questioned and assessed. he's a nonce, assessment over.

But this is a discussion forum. If you don't want to discuss it - which is totally fair enough - you don't have to read the thread. I disagree with some of what is being said (especially the past page or so) and it's definitely quite icky but it's literally what the discussion topic is about. If you don't think it should be discussed, there are other threads. 

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

Oh come on.  Surely we all accept it's your responsibility to know how old someone is before sex. 

Yeah, but do you think the Stones "checked IDs" of every groupie? It's almost certain that Keith Richards slept with someone underage at some point. I mean:

rolling stones

Yet no-one complained when they played Glastonbury. Which is presumably a combination of Peel just being weirdly honest about the whole "scene" when everyone else wanted to cover it up, and the fact you can slander the living but not the dead.

And again, I'm not seeing anyone saying we should keep the name of the tent. Just more raising the point that if we're going to say there no place at Glastonbury for those involved in this (which we absolutely should) then we should follow that through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But this is a discussion forum. If you don't want to discuss it - which is totally fair enough - you don't have to read the thread. I disagree with some of what is being said (especially the past page or so) and it's definitely quite icky but it's literally what the discussion topic is about. If you don't think it should be discussed, there are other threads. 

Yeah, but do you think the Stones "checked IDs" of every groupie? It's almost certain that Keith Richards slept with someone underage at some point. I mean:

rolling stones

Yet no-one complained when they played Glastonbury. Which is presumably a combination of Peel just being weirdly honest about the whole "scene" when everyone else wanted to cover it up, and the fact you can slander the living but not the dead.

And again, I'm not seeing anyone saying we should keep the name of the tent. Just more raising the point that if we're going to say there no place at Glastonbury for those involved in this (which we absolutely should) then we should follow that through.

Have the rolling stones admitted to having oral sex with a 13 year old while being an adult or other such crimes ?   If so - I am not sure many here would welcome them.  Have they done such a thing or is just a "what if" question ? 

"almost certain" isn't quite the same as a direct quote like we have with Peel or evidence / conviction...

Edited by Barry Fish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

maybe an unpopular opinion - yeh we probably shouldn't venerate rock stars particularly from that era.

but there's also a big stretch between a man writing it and talking about how he did it and "it's almost certain that Keith Richards slept with someone underage at some point". maybe they have admitted it - I honestly don't know enough richards or the rolling stones to know this or not.

 

Edited by vertigocarbon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vertigocarbon said:

maybe an unpopular opinion - yeh we probably shouldn't venerate rock stars particularly from that era.

but there's also a big stretch between a man writing it and talking about how he did it and "it's almost certain that Keith Richards slept with someone underage at some point". maybe they have admitted it - I honestly don't know enough richards or the rolling stones to know this or not.

 

Mandy Smith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

I was sticking to what I'd said, rather than the different covo you wanted to have as your own whataboutery. 

But you're doing it again. You're the one who brought up the fact he claims not to have known the age as a defense.

So my question is - if the defense is that he didn't know they're that age, then what's the defense if he DID know?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

 

rolling stones 

 


That poster - isn't it saying let the kids fuck each other...  rather than let me fuck the kids ? 

lol - this has to be a new low moment for efestivals 😛 

Edited by Barry Fish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nobby's Old Boots said:

But you're doing it again. You're the one who brought up the fact he claims not to have known the age as a defense.

So my question is - if the defense is that he didn't know they're that age, then what's the defense if he DID know?

I simply pointed out what his actual words imply. While others put their own take on those words, a take not supported by the words. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I am guessing if your a 25 year old or so bloke and you are in a situation where you are questioning if someone might be 16 or not...  Then you might want to make fucking sure of it before diving in there if you had any sort of moral compass.  Clearly Peel was a disgusting little bastard and it needs just calling out as such, tent renamed and we can all move on 🙂 

Yes Barry.  It's nice to agree with you. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont think there is a question that the tent will be renamed now. It would be impossible not to. He was pretty close to admitting rape as a child under 13 can never consent. Strange how this has all just blown up now. It is like it was a revelation just this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest, when I was a teenager back in the dark ages (late 70s, early 80s), I don't remember anyone asking me my age before I had sex with them.  I think people (men) have much more awareness of their responsibilities now.  In those days, if a girl was keen enough, she was deemed to be old enough.  Which isn't right of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Have the rolling stones admitted to having oral sex with a 13 year old or other such crimes ?   If so - I am not sure many here would welcome them.  Have they done such a thing or is just a "what if" question ? 

No they haven't - just sort of implied it with that poster and released a song with the lyrics "“I can see that you’re fifteen years old / No I don’t want your ID / You look so restless and you’re so far from home / But it’s no hanging matter / It’s no capital crime." 

They have admitted to shagging 1000s of groupies, and being out of their heads on drugs while doing it. The odds that they didn't, at some point, sleep with someone underage seem miniscule.

Which is the core of what I've been saying all afternoon. We're only able to have this discussion now because Peel outright admitted it all. If he'd kept his mouth shut there'd be enough doubt that no-one would be paying any attention. 

In no way does that absolve him, but I struggle with condemning him more than the ones that will never admit it. That doesn't seem fair. And when I say not fair, I mean we should condemn them all, not that we should let Peel off.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...