Renaming of ther John Peel Stage - article in the Daily Hate

Yoghurt on a Stick

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The problem with naming it after anyone else now it's that it's hardly an honour is it? Oh they named a tent after you at Glastonbury? The one that was previously named after a sex offender? You must be so proud.

Plus there is no guarantee that whoever they name the stage after doesn’t also have   Skeletons in the closet and we’ll have to rename it again 

10 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

How about simply calling it 'The Jean Tent' or the 'The J&M Tent', in honour of the co-founders of Glastonbury.

The J&M Tent. I like that.

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The problem with naming it after anyone else now it's that it's hardly an honour is it? Oh they named a tent after you at Glastonbury? The one that was previously named after a sex offender? You must be so proud.

I dunno. I think if the actions are positive (and the new person/people hasn't/haven't got any skeletons of their own), it's still an honour. I'd love to have a tent named after me at Glastonbury.

A phoenix always rises out of the ashes.

Without trying to get all Harry Potter about it.

I think the move would be met with admiration that the festival a) owns up to a mistake and b) champions someone who deserves it.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

18 hours ago, Quark said:

Complete rethink.

Call it the eFests Stage, and instead of bands people can just go there to have cyclical arguments with strangers. Imagine the lineup.

11:30-12:15  Will Covid Ever Go Away?
12:45-13:30  Prince, Daft Punk and Other Rumours
14:00-14:45  What's Wrong With Silver Hayes?
15:15-16:00  Walking Boots Or Trainers?
16:30-17:30  Why Your Favourite Band Should Never Play
18:00-19:00  Is The Festival Too Expensive?
19:30-20:30  Simpsons Memes
21:00-22:00 Next Year's Weather (compered by Nal and Briddj with guest appearances from Dee and Dusty)
22:30-23:45 Are Foals Bigger Than The 1975?

Are flags banned at this stage?

6 hours ago, august1 said:

looks like the organiser of this petition has been in touch with every paper/website as loads of them running with it.

Doesnt look like they've actually ever been to Glastonbury either, strange to be so passionate about it out of nowhere

The news outlets love to jump on stuff like this, especially the usual suspects.

Dunno with the organiser, someone earlier on suggested they just want to be known as the person who changed it. Maybe that, who knows?

Either way it's something that should be seriously considered, and it shouldn't be discarded on the grounds that it would be pandering to the Heil or any of the other rags.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Quark said:

The news outlets love to jump on stuff like this, especially the usual suspects.

Dunno with the organiser, someone earlier on suggested they just want to be known as the person who changed it. Maybe that, who knows?

Either way it's something that should be seriously considered, and it shouldn't be discarded on the grounds that it would be pandering to the Heil or any of the other rags.

If I was a cynical man (I tend to be) and an ex-journalist who understands the way certain reporters can work, I'd venture a guess the person who started the petition works on the mail news desk and used a fake name. Only surprise is the name they've gone for is Jack O, rather than Pete O. It's a theory anyway. 

10 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Looks like we officially have a new contender to the name the tent after...  Keeping with tradition is always a good thing ?  right ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62126645

The Westwood Tent

Great 😤 Was anybody not into kids ffs? 😕

Looking back on my teenage years in the late 90's, when I was 14 and 15 it seemed like every girl in our year was with a much older lad / bloke, sometimes into their late 20s with a house, car etc. Never really reflected on how creepy that was at the time, we were too busy moaning about how much of an inconvenience it was. 🙈

Back in late 70s/early 80s, radio 1 djs would tour around and we used to have a local barn dance with one every year. I remember one of the girls "shagged" the dj, she was 16 at best. At the time we thought it was wrong. It has always been wrong, this "oh, it used to be accepted" is bollocks. It is and always has been wrong.

They knew it and the only difference now is that they can't so easily get away with it.

In a position of power sexually assaulting someone way younger than you. Bollocks to that. JP and all the others need to be called out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Back in late 70s/early 80s, radio 1 djs would tour around and we used to have a local barn dance with one every year. I remember one of the girls "shagged" the dj, she was 16 at best. At the time we thought it was wrong. It has always been wrong, this "oh, it used to be accepted" is bollocks. It is and always has been wrong.

They knew it and the only difference now is that they can't so easily get away with it.

In a position of power sexually assaulting someone way younger than you. Bollocks to that. JP and all the others need to be called out.

BTW I wasn’t suggesting it wasn’t wrong back in the 90s, or that it used to be accepted, I was just saying that, as hormonal teenage boys, we were more concerned with how inconvenient it was for us that all of the ‘fit’ girls had much older boyfriends. 

Of course it was wrong, and it’s quite concerning looking back how widespread it was. Blokes didn’t even ‘need’ to be famous to get away with it, just have a regular income and a nice car!!! There were a lot of girls out there who were very easily impressed by that sort of thing, so I can only imagine how star struck they were when it came to celebrities! We’re probably looking at tens if not hundreds of thousands of girls who felt obliged to do things that they wouldn’t have done with their equal peers. 😞