Renaming of ther John Peel Stage - article in the Daily Hate

Yoghurt on a Stick

Just now, km9 said:

Why on earth would the government get involved in renaming a tent at a festival??

It's not the government petition site, rather the other one that means the best part of fuck all apart from something to talk about.

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Just the teenage dreams lyric from Teenage Kicks on the banners in the tent. Probably isn't something most people, including the organisers, would think about or notice. Just struck me as a bit odd alongside the allegations against the person the stage is named after. 

Was only really a passing thing I noticed for like a second when I got in there. Certainly wouldn't be starting a petition about it! 

Edit- only just scrolled up and seen this answered above elsewhere! 

Pretty much the only thing I knew about John Peel when he was alive was that Teenage Kicks by the Undertones was his favourite song ever. I’m sure that’s why those lyrics were chosen, but also a bit creepy isn’t it. 

52 minutes ago, Quark said:

Let's be honest, if the interview, his own quotes and the accusations levelled at him were one of the dull, MOR 70s/80s DJs from Radio 1 then by and large we'd have no hesitation in agreeing it should be changed. People have been pilloried for less than this. No one would be clinging on to the Dave Lee Travis tent.

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's a lot easier to be judgemental on those you don't like. 

Even if the accusations against him aren't true, his own testimony in those interviews make keeping the stage name a really troublesome point in the modern age. 

If we can support tearing down statues of people who were acting within the law at the time but shouldn't be celebrated with  modern eyes, we can rename a festival stage. However much he did for new music.

Encapsulates my feelings on it pretty well.

He’s left an indelible positive mark on shaping the music tastes of this country which you can’t take away. 
However, even his substantiated actions make him at best creepy, at worst predatory.

One doesn’t cancel out the other, but should we be lionising him in this day and age? I don’t think so.

It should be changed because it’s the right thing to do, not because it’s what the Hate Mail wants. Lord knows they’ll find another stick to beat this festival with even if it is changed.

Fuck The Daily Mail

However, I do agree that it should be changed. There are plenty of other people it could be named after... Michael Eavis?

Or even for a similar reason to why it was named after John Peel, someone who pioneered new music. Maybe somebody like Steve Lamaq?

33 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Fuck The Daily Mail

However, I do agree that it should be changed. There are plenty of other people it could be named after... Michael Eavis?

Or even for a similar reason to why it was named after John Peel, someone who pioneered new music. Maybe somebody like Steve Lamaq?

Yeah none of the other stages are really named after people are they? Maybe some small ones I vaguely recall... 

It's been in the current location since 2016 so if they changed up that area at all might be an opportunity to look at the naming. I'd love it if there was a little bit more around that stage tbh, feels a bit in the middle of nowhere for me.

45 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah none of the other stages are really named after people are they? Maybe some small ones I vaguely recall... 

It's been in the current location since 2016 so if they changed up that area at all might be an opportunity to look at the naming. I'd love it if there was a little bit more around that stage tbh, feels a bit in the middle of nowhere for me.

Yeah I thought the same this year. They should maybe look at making that general area the rock/indie area for nightlife and everything. Give it a bit more life

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, K2SO said:

Yeah I thought the same this year. They should maybe look at making that general area the rock/indie area for nightlife and everything. Give it a bit more life

The Evening Sessions?

• Like 1

I'm currently reading a book about The Beatles and I'll be honest so far they all come across pretty badly as well. Anyone who knows me will know I'm definitely not one to condone this kind of behaviour however I do think there is a tendency to judge people by modern standards and I hope everyone here is as happy to cancel their fathers/grandfathers etc because sadly society was just a shit show for women in the 60's and 70's. I was born in 1977 and the phrase old enough to bleed, bleedin old enough was common place when I was a kid. Given that I was old enough to bleed at 10 years old I think we can get a idea of how problematic a phrase that is. 

For me how you judge these men is how they moved with the times. I don't think anybody would say latter day Macca/Bowie or John Peel were still chasing teenagers when they were in their 40's and 50's. The behaviour whilst wrong was what everyone was doing at the time and what a lot of girls did participate in without any idea of how they were being exploited because that concept of being exploited wasn't really there either. 

The difference between Peel and someone like Savile is the deliberately preying on the vulnerable. Don't get me wrong to my modern the way rock stars and celebrities back then treated young girls is pretty creepy but people are begging for Aerosmith to play whilst asking for the stage to be renamed. 

I'm happy to say that John Peel at the start of his fame was a creep who treated women badly but grew up to be someone solidly married and who by all accounts appears to have treated his female colleagues with great respect. People do change and should any of us be judged forever by the worst things we did?

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Over the last decade it’s become clear that naming stages or streets after anyone is a risky thing to do!

I found it weird at the time tbh. Should never have been named after him in the first place. But people liked him. 

Like Chris Rock said about Michael Jackson "thats how much we loved Michael. We loved Michael so much we let the first kid slide". 

These interviews were easily available at the time. Credible accusations and even admissions from the man himself. All very odd.

Thread here

Obviously twitter is alive with this.

One thing that winds me up is labelling Peel a paedophile, which there is no evidence for.

Paedophilia is attraction to prepubescent children. Peel was likely guilty of statutory rape of a minor, and could be classed as an Ephebophile (attracted to young, but post-pubescent people).

Labelling him a nonce is not only inaccurate, but I think actually think goes a way to normalise genuine paedophilia. ie. equating Peel, Page, Bowie, Tyler et al, with Jimmy Savile actually does Savile a favour.

With regard to renaming the tent, ultimately, I find I just don't care enough either way.

• Upvote 1