Glastonbury 2022 - overcrowding rumours & thoughts

WheresMyTent

On 7/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, gooner1990 said:

As managing director of Festival Republic, Benn has overseen the growth of Reading, Leeds, Wireless and Downloads festivals.

Ah that explains why things are starting to go wrong.

We really don't need money orientated people involved in the running of the event.

23 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Ah that explains why things are starting to go wrong.

We really don't need money orientated people involved in the running of the event.

Melvin's previous involvement with glastonbury was very positive, and he's earned Michael's respect over the years.

Edited by Neil

Secret garden party is currently getting torn a new one on socials. Poor crowd control, weak line up and massive queues seems to be a common theme. Toilets went to shit. 

bristol harbour festival and Bristol pride had overflowing toilets from mid afternoon and way too many people. 

Is there some kind of industrial toilet shortage? Or have we just forgotten what festivals are like. 

4 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Secret garden party is currently getting torn a new one on socials. Poor crowd control, weak line up and massive queues seems to be a common theme. Toilets went to shit. 

bristol harbour festival and Bristol pride had overflowing toilets from mid afternoon and way too many people. 

Is there some kind of industrial toilet shortage? Or have we just forgotten what festivals are like. 

No - events have cut back on things to help balance the books. 

Noisily the other week had the best toilets I've ever experienced at a festival. 

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Noisily the other week had the best toilets I've ever experienced at a festival. 

I went to Tramlines on Friday - never seen so many toilets at a festival. 

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

Bluedot yesterday also seemed pretty good. Portaloos, but they were being kept clean - even had toilet paper provided!

24 minutes ago, stuie said:

Best loos at a UK festival - Shambala, all compost loos, except accessible loos which are portaloos.

Mind you I could say best about nearly every aspect of a festival (the ones I've been to) re Shambala.

14 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

. Portaloos

cos you used that registered trademark, the guy who has the shit job of policing the word will be along soon enough to complain.

26 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

If this video is representative of the general attentiveness of the stewards up by wicket gate/PGA maybe the story's of thousands of sneak in weren't that exaggerated.

I've done this before at Womad, through the traders gate. Waited until security were distracted and just strolled right in.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

If this video is representative of the general attentiveness of the stewards up by wicket gate/PGA maybe the story's of thousands of sneak in weren't that exaggerated. 

Bloke definitely just got wrist banded on his left hand as he walked in and posted a video claiming otherwise for clout

wrist.thumb.jpg.78896633de6b1f9b99bf7e4b841241a6.jpg

50 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Bloke definitely just got wrist banded on his left hand as he walked in and posted a video claiming otherwise for clout

You see his left wrist when he wakes up after the first night and when he is smoking a cig at the bench (briefly) with that other bloke. 

He could have edited out of course, but since he has multiple conversations with people about him sneaking in, and having a fake wristband, and none of them say anything, I doubt it. 

Edited by Alvoram

33 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

wrist.thumb.jpg.78896633de6b1f9b99bf7e4b841241a6.jpg

You see his left wrist when he wakes up after the first night and when he is smoking a cig at the bench (briefly) with that other bloke. 

He could have edited out of course, but since he has multiple conversations with people about him sneaking in, and having a fake wristband, and none of them say anything, I doubt it. 

Eh I'm somewhat sceptical, can easily take it off and stick it on your ankle like some people do. The camera cut and journey through the ticket gate doesn't sit quite right or flows like it should. Too many of these camera w*nkers at the festival as it is.

4 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Eh I'm somewhat sceptical, can easily take it off and stick it on your ankle like some people do. The camera cut and journey through the ticket gate doesn't sit quite right or flows like it should. Too many of these camera w*nkers at the festival as it is.

It is kind of weird how you don't see him go under a marquee... I assume that entry has a wristbanding marquee? 

He has a different video of the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge, he tells people there he is planning to sneak in, and meets with others planning the same too. 

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

It is kind of weird how you don't see him go under a marquee... I assume that entry has a wristbanding marquee? 

He has a different video of the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge, he tells people there he is planning to sneak in, and meets with others planning the same too. 

Watched a couple of mins of this video posted and that's enough for me. No idea what people get out of videos like this, clearly there's a market for it but I'm certainly not in it. 

8 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Watched a couple of mins of this video posted and that's enough for me. No idea what people get out of videos like this, clearly there's a market for it but I'm certainly not in it. 

You're not a fan of 'vlogs' then? Some of them can be good, some are absolutely rubbish. This guy is somewhere in the middle... Not 'great' but at least he actually commentates, (hate the silent vlogs,) and the video is definitely lifted by being a topic I'm interested in, I enjoyed it. 

I watch way too much youtube, much more than I watch TV. My other main hobby's youtube videos can be broken into 2 categories, informative videos, and vlogs. I know most of what the informative videos have to say, so end up watching vlogs instead. 

Yeah, it doesn't add up to me. There's no marquee at the re-entry gate, but if he did go through that why was he given a wrist band? I'm calling bullshit

correction: I mean lanyard not wristband

Edited by mazola

For example:

I pitched on Wed late in Big Ground in 2013 and cos it was late there was only a tiny patch available under the pilons next to the road down to Pyramid. All was well, but when I woke up Thurs AM there was a tent of lads without bands in front who had managed to slip into the like 1sq m of space remaining and tbh were alright at that point but later threatened me on Fri AM when I came back with the usual "wot the fuck you looking at" shite. By 11am or so security had spotted them and dragged them off whilst I listened in my tent. When I came to pack up Mon AM I found loads of baggies under my tent that they'd stuffed under when security found them. Needless to say took 'em home 😉

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

You're not a fan of 'vlogs' then? Some of them can be good, some are absolutely rubbish. This guy is somewhere in the middle... Not 'great' but at least he actually commentates, (hate the silent vlogs,) and the video is definitely lifted by being a topic I'm interested in, I enjoyed it. 

I watch way too much youtube, much more than I watch TV. My other main hobby's youtube videos can be broken into 2 categories, informative videos, and vlogs. I know most of what the informative videos have to say, so end up watching vlogs instead. 

try this one for si\ze

i was at that match, my cousin's hubby played in one of the teams and is in this film.

BOOKED football documentary about the most indisciplined British match of all time

Edited by Neil

On 7/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Don't buy that there were 20k unaccounted for festival-goers. 

Some of the crowd behaviour I saw this year was utterly bizarre. Loads of times I saw massive queues for certain vendors, and then right next door would be barely any queue for another one. And this was for bog-standard food stalls - nothing to write home about.  Saw similar thing with toilets and longdrops, queues at bars etc. 

I found this a big phenomena at WOMAD last weekend. We literally heard people deciding to eat at a venue because it had a queue and thus they helped to generate a bigger queue which attracted even more people. The same even happened with toilets and water points - a long queue at toilets we overheard meant it was worth joining in with. Talk about consumerist crowd  mentality.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2022 at 10:15 PM, Splonk said:

Tried to drop off a kids buggy at the lock ups nearest the kids camping on the Friday and they had no room.

Apparently this was the first time this had ever happened at the lock ups.

Because kids are free, I wonder if they are accounted for in the official attendance?

This is a good point - I’ve noticed since lockdown. Families at festivals don’t travel light anymore. There’s a lot of big buggies/wagons and kit. There’s also more families taking kids at festivals like Glastonbury than I can ever remember.

Where kids go free the numbers of big buggies certainly are at probably the highest they’ve ever been. I guess post being stuck at home with the kids, more people want to do festivals with their kids than leave them behind and escape from them for a few days. 

There’s also much more wagons for kids, I hardly see mothers carrying babies on hips anymore at festivals. And even if numbers are the same at festivals a lot of buggies in main stage arenas rapidly contract space.  

Edited by 5co77ie

Re: Melvin being really back in there. Its good and bad. But the bad part is this is an opening Live Nation is probably salivating over. If Glasto has any financial hurdles in the future then thats where the money will come.

ANYWAY. At least you dont have to worry about guns being let into the fest

https://www.billboard.com/pro/atlanta-music-midtown-festival-canceled-gun-laws-georgia/