Glastonbury 2022 - overcrowding rumours & thoughts

WheresMyTent

19 hours ago, Dysonism said:

Was this during Groove Armada? Me and my partner had the exact same experience at about the same time, maybe 10-15 mins prior.

Yeah, exactly that. We probably tried to make a move out at about 12:30am. Tbh happened for a reason cause we made a conscious effort to be smart about avoiding the insane crowds the rest of the weekend and had a great time. 

These videos from an Oasis gig at 2005 show how scarily a densely packed crowd can act like a fluid, and if you're stuck in it you've got no control at all.

It's scary how the force of the crowd was powerful enough to break the barrier - they had to stop the gig and spent 20 mins repairing it before they could continue

Although nobody was hurt, it does look very uncomfortable indeed.

When I was young and first started going to G I'd spend all day down the front barrier for this indie band and that indie band as followed them all in those days and remember being so crushed up against the barrier in maybe 97 or 98 that it ripped my t shirt all long where it was up against it.

6 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Do they have a sec barrier at Other now too? Didnt realise that. Last time I was close enough to have noticed tho I suppose was Liam around 2017 was it? Maybe earlier...

Certainly for the headliners. Only non headline act I can remember seeing there was Billie Eilish in 2019.

8 hours ago, LetsGoToMars said:

These videos from an Oasis gig at 2005 show how scarily a densely packed crowd can act like a fluid, and if you're stuck in it you've got no control at all.

It's scary how the force of the crowd was powerful enough to break the barrier - they had to stop the gig and spent 20 mins repairing it before they could continue

It was a lovely 20 minutes.. if you were they you'll know why haha

It involved a lot of breasts anyway 🤣

Edited by plaskins

I always think it is madness that they don't have a oneway system for the pits. Whilst it is not necessary early on in the day, it would make things a lot easier and safer later on. It can be very uncomfortable when the crowd for one act moves out and those who want to see the next act are pushing in...  At Roskilde Festival they have a traffic light system, but it could be as simple as: Enter the pit on the left and exit on the right.

9 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I always think it is madness that they don't have a oneway system for the pits. Whilst it is not necessary early on in the day, it would make things a lot easier and safer later on. It can be very uncomfortable when the crowd for one act moves out and those who want to see the next act are pushing in...  At Roskilde Festival they have a traffic light system, but it could be as simple as: Enter the pit on the left and exit on the right.

It’s great in theory, but imagine going out for a beer and having to get all the way back round carrying 4 pints!

6 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

100%, and that is why I no longer go in the pit, have been caught a couple of times over the years and it can get pretty unpleasant, there is no logical reason not to have stewards controlling access or an exit gate at the back of the pit so those leaving don't have to fight through those trying to get in for the next act.

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

100%, and that is why I no longer go in the pit, have been caught a couple of times over the years and it can get pretty unpleasant, there is no logical reason not to have stewards controlling access or an exit gate at the back of the pit so those leaving don't have to fight through those trying to get in for the next act.

I’ve never been in the barrier at the Pyramid, is there no security or barrier?

This looks like something I would like to avoid... How many people are in the crowd during the surge? Looks like total madness.

With the crowd break and the diversity of the crowds at the Pyramid, I would hope it would never get this bad.

Videos like this give me the absolute fear these days. I never used to think twice about getting right into the thick of it when I was a teenager, usually getting crushed against the barrier by everyone behind me for the whole set. I've no idea how I found that fun but being at the front was all-important! 

Bit different to the Glastonbury issues though because the crushes people have talked about are not in front of stages but more when people are trying to move around the site? From what I've seen anyway. 

12 minutes ago, gordong said:

I’ve never been in the barrier at the Pyramid, is there no security or barrier?

It's a fairly narrow access at each side, the barrier isn't straight it narrows towards the front, this restricts large surges into the pit but the problem arises at band changeover times, as people leave the act just finishing they have to go against the flow of people trying to get in to secure a good spot for the next act.

Edit, and no security don't control it, they leave punters to sort it out themselves as best they can.

Edited by gizmoman
addition

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Bit different to the Glastonbury issues though because the crushes people have talked about are not in front of stages but more when people are trying to move around the site? From what I've seen anyway. 

Yip. Different things.  The pit barrier has largely consigned scenes like the above to the past. Crowd behaviour is different these days too.

But no matter what procedures or systems are in place, if you're somewhere near the front of 100,000 people having a massive party you do stand a chance of being jostled or having someone infringe your personal space.  If you're not OK with that then it's not the place for you.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

It's a problem because Glastonbury is so much bigger than Roskilde. If you want to get to the Park and you get turned out towards John Peel then you have a hell of a journey to get there, as well as potentially creating pinch points as everyone tries to get into the pit on the left side going into the pit. For popular acts this could cause even more problems than it solves.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yip. Different things.  The pit barrier has largely consigned scenes like the above to the past. Crowd behaviour is different these days too.

But no matter what procedures or systems are in place, if you're somewhere near the front of 100,000 people having a massive party you do stand a chance of being jostled or having someone infringe your personal space.  If you're not OK with that then it's not the place for you.

Yeah I do things a bit differently these days as a result! I like a little dance space around me and it suits me fine.