What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2023?

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

22 minutes ago, rgill3 said:

Given this a thought - but just a thought! Any chance you can point me towards where to look regarding volunteering?

I’ve volunteered with oxfam the last two years, and it’s been a good experience - getting on-site early, access to staff bars, showers and food tokens, shifts that are about as reasonable as you can expect, etc etc - you can register on the oxfam festivals website now and if you do two events a year, you get priority for next year - so my Glastonbury place is already guaranteed. Which is great! Water aid and Shelter also have volunteer places, and are worth looking at.

but I do quite fancy the recycling one year, camping at Tom’s field is very central and good, and their T-shirts are the bomb 🤣 

and the internal stewarding for specific areas also looks really good, but quite hard to break into - it’s primarily local groups who recruit internally so if you’re not in, you’re not likely to get in. This would be for SE corner, green crafts, JP tent, campsite stewarding etc etc. there’s a fair few areas that I’d quite fancy, I need to identify exactly what it is I want, I think . . . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’ve volunteered with oxfam the last two years, and it’s been a good experience - getting on-site early, access to staff bars, showers and food tokens, shifts that are about as reasonable as you can expect, etc etc - you can register on the oxfam festivals website now and if you do two events a year, you get priority for next year - so my Glastonbury place is already guaranteed. Which is great! Water aid and Shelter also have volunteer places, and are worth looking at.

but I do quite fancy the recycling one year, camping at Tom’s field is very central and good, and their T-shirts are the bomb 🤣 

and the internal stewarding for specific areas also looks really good, but quite hard to break into - it’s primarily local groups who recruit internally so if you’re not in, you’re not likely to get in. This would be for SE corner, green crafts, JP tent, campsite stewarding etc etc. there’s a fair few areas that I’d quite fancy, I need to identify exactly what it is I want, I think . . . 

They usually put an ad out in January time for night shift volunteers to 'mind' their sculptures. The shifts are Thurs - Sun 8pm-2am (ish) but if you're not one for headliners it's probably a good 'in' to getting on their side I reckon. Though I've never done it.

What I did today was go back to the gym after two weeks off. My legs did alright this year but I'd like to be in less pain next time.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, CauliflowerEar said:

Nothing, you really ought to think about other things, especially when it ended recently and isn't on for another year. Basing your whole existence around an annual music festival where people go to get spangled, is quite odd behaviour. 

Lol.

Humans are capable of multiple trains of thought on multiple subjects during the day/week/year. You should try it sometime.

15 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I've flirted with the idea of a campervan, but I agree, they just don't see worth it. If it's about the hassle of taking tents etc, have you considered a podpad or one of the preerected scout tents? 2 person tent for £325 isn't so bad.

Obviously, €167 could also be well-spent on just getting pissed.

Hey, well, I personally have no issues with using a tent. In fact I bought one fairly recently, my mate is a bit particular though and I get it. He's more of a casual music fan, said he "struggles with any music released since 2000" (although I dragged him along to see Jon Hopkins in Leeds a while back which he loved). He needs "his own toilet, running water, my own bed" etc. Hence the idea for a campervan. 

On 7/5/2022 at 8:57 AM, sfroml said:

Hey, well, I personally have no issues with using a tent. In fact I bought one fairly recently, my mate is a bit particular though and I get it. He's more of a casual music fan, said he "struggles with any music released since 2000" (although I dragged him along to see Jon Hopkins in Leeds a while back which he loved). He needs "his own toilet, running water, my own bed" etc. Hence the idea for a campervan. 

That's a hell of a lotta moolah for your own toilet and running water. Surely, if he has his own tent and an airbed, that's still his own bed? Lol.

But fair enough, I know people who love G, but hate the camping side of it, which puts them off coming back. Not that I'm bothered. We're down to a core of about 6-8 people now and that works out better than groups of 10+. 

8 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Monzo magic moved £1.50 to my Glastonbury savings pot due to it being over 21 degrees at the farm

Is that something you can setup automatically in Monzo? That's crazy if so - and if not Monzo need to get on that. Exactly the type of weird feature they'd have!!

Just now, gfa said:

Is that something you can setup automatically in Monzo? That's crazy if so - and if not Monzo need to get on that. Exactly the type of weird feature they'd have!!

It’s done via an applet in an app called ifttt. You link your account and you can set different things up. 

I have that one for Glastonbury and one for Christmas where every day it ups the amount you save by a penny. Starts at 1p on January 1st and end of the year it’s £3.65. It come to around £700

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

It’s done via an applet in an app called ifttt. You link your account and you can set different things up. 

I have that one for Glastonbury and one for Christmas where every day it ups the amount you save by a penny. Starts at 1p on January 1st and end of the year it’s £3.65. It come to around £700

I was thinking that. I can't believe that it has access to Monzo though wow

10 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That's a hell of a lotta moolah for your own toilet and running water. Surely, if he has his own tent and an airbed, that's still his own bed? Lol.

But fair enough, I know people who love G, but hate the camping side of it, which puts them off coming back. Not that I'm bothered. We're down to a core of about 6-8 people now and that works out better than groups of 10+. 

Totally agree. A bed is a bed and you can make it as comfy as you want 😄 

Still trying to piece together a group.... it's hard work tbh. Hopeful that I can get around 5 or so to  go. 

23 minutes ago, sfroml said:

Totally agree. A bed is a bed and you can make it as comfy as you want 😄 

Still trying to piece together a group.... it's hard work tbh. Hopeful that I can get around 5 or so to  go. 

5 is a good number. Enough to have a party, easy enough to split up. I'd say this year from the ones I've contacted, there will only be about four of us trying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Thats really cool! Its going to be an expensive fortnight or so!

That’s why it’s £1.50 at a time, I have a regular amount that gets saved so this is for little treats. 

if we don’t get tickets the funds will go towards a holiday over the festival weekend 

• Upvote 1