Regrets, I’ve had a few… 2022

blutarsky

Going to TLC over Supergrass.  Had a great laugh with our gang at TLC so glad I was there for that, but the set was shite.

Trashing my legs/feet (every year) by Saturday so not managing to catch Showhawk Duo or Brass Against because I couldn't be arsed with the walk.

Going to see Wet Leg. Knew the park would be crazy but risked it anyway. Queued 45 mins for food, and then couldn't see them on stage. Sound was dreadful too.

Also regret going to Diana Ross. I love her music and I was happy to see her as my expectations were low but she was worse than I could have imagined. I'm a fan of Fontaines DC so I wish I had seen them instead.

• Upvote 1

Trying to squeeze too much in, running around and not really taking it all in. We wanted to tick off as much as possible and this was a mistake.

Don't regret many of my music choices particularly watching sets back, Olivia Rodrigo for example was dull and we got a great spot for Sam Fender having decided not to run for Phoebe Bridgers. 

Wouldn't camp where we camped i.e. right next to a bin and the path in Oxylers, having said it was my mate that set up before we arrived so grateful for him doing that at least.

My only regret was my outfit for saturday.  I went for something resembling Kenny Powers from Eastbound and Down - Full America Stars and Stripes head to toe.  As we got to the bar for our first drink prior to Brass Against on West Holts my wife turns to me and said have you seen the news about America and Abortion Law (id not checked my phone since the Tuesday). Started to feel really uncomfortable.  Next headed to Skunk Anansie and it really hit home how bad id got it wrong.  My skin was crawling, left the set went to the first market stall i came across and bought a whole new outfit. 

• Upvote 6

I regret giving Arcadia more than one chance (it was on the way back to the tent to be fair, so I did take the lazy option.) 

I regret being in bed by 2:30 every morning (though I don't regret being up for 7am)

I regret being tight with accomodation options at Sticklinch, shoulda got a shed. 

I regret missing Idles, Skunk Anansie and McFly

13 minutes ago, Mr Cake said:

My only regret was my outfit for saturday.  I went for something resembling Kenny Powers from Eastbound and Down - Full America Stars and Stripes head to toe.  As we got to the bar for our first drink prior to Brass Against on West Holts my wife turns to me and said have you seen the news about America and Abortion Law (id not checked my phone since the Tuesday). Started to feel really uncomfortable.  Next headed to Skunk Anansie and it really hit home how bad id got it wrong.  My skin was crawling, left the set went to the first market stall i came across and bought a whole new outfit. 

I shouldn't laugh.... but I did

The only regrets I can really think of is leaving the temple on saturday night.  It was truly mind blowing but unfortunately one of my friends was a bit overwhelmed so went to Joy Orbison on the ICONN which was a massive downgrade for me.

I didn't regret choosing Roisin Murphy over Macca at the time, though ever so slightly when I started getting messages that Dave Grohl made an appearance.  I have a feeling I may regret this a lot more as the years go on.

I definitely regret not covering the back of my legs in sun cream on the wednesday morning.  I thought I'd put enough on but the burns on the back of my calves said otherwise.

6 hours ago, blutarsky said:

1. I played Thursday and Friday really well, but do wish we’d seen Four Tet headline the Park rather than Foals on the Other. We went to Foals with my sister and Brother-in-law as they really like them, and had an ok time, but would have had a much better time at Four Tet. It’s not a big regret though. 

5. We didn’t go to the merch stand until late in the festival when there was nothing left. Same mistake, every year! I’ve now ordered online and had to pay delivery 🤦‍♂️

Same here on these, i've seen Foals before and decided to go again but should have gone Four Tet really. Can't believe how quick merch ran out, on like the friday they were out of all lineup backprint tees except like pink 2XL...

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Going to TLC over Supergrass.  Had a great laugh with our gang at TLC so glad I was there for that, but the set was shite.

Trashing my legs/feet (every year) by Saturday so not managing to catch Showhawk Duo or Brass Against because I couldn't be arsed with the walk.

Same here, we left supergrass for TLC and almost stayed but then decided to go - TLC was rammed and naff.

-----

First timer here:

wednesday - camped a bit far out, queued an hour for water when apparently elsewhere it was no queue! made a friend in the queue at least

thursday - this was pretty poor from us, forgot the KH set and tried to find our friend at camelphat in the evening and we couldn't find him all got tired and just gave up and walked back.

friday - foals > four tet bad shout. great night in the SE corner though! TLC > supergrass also bad

saturday - flawless day bar not being able to find everyone at four tet / calvin harris at arcadia. great vibes all day and stayed till like 6 in the SE corner. possibly my best festival day ever. (lots of clashes but chose well i reckon!)

sunday - maybe could have gone to PSB over bicep, i'd seen bicep last year and not a whole lot had changed but it was still good

7 hours ago, blutarsky said:

So, what did you get wrong this year…? 

For me, there are a few based on acts we saw, and two based on the same errors I make every time… 

1. I played Thursday and Friday really well, but do wish we’d seen Four Tet headline the Park rather than Foals on the Other. We went to Foals with my sister and Brother-in-law as they really like them, and had an ok time, but would have had a much better time at Four Tet. It’s not a big regret though. 

2. Saturday night is a bit of a black hole for us. We watched Big Thief at the Park which finished at 7ish, then we managed to do nothing much at all until 2300. We headed to the Pyramid to meet family, who had a spot between the AV and sound desks for Macca. It was so tight we were struggling to get there and people were being a bit aggro about us trying to get in. We then hit a spot with families and the kids were clearly a bit distressed about being stuck in there which really put us off going any for their, so we gave up. We hit the SEC early and had a great time at the Common, although we got waylaid there and didn’t make it to the Downlow, which was our initial plan 😂. With the benefit of hindsight I really wish we’d decided to get to the Pyramid for half of Noel, or even just toughed out the crowd to get in for Macca. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and we were a bit on the fence about Macca before, hence pulling out. Definite regret. 

3. Kendrick over Bicep. This is the one I REALLY regret. I’m not bothered by Kendrick at all - just not familiar and not my thing. Mrs B isn’t familiar either, but she caught wind of the Eminem rumour, and seeing him would have been life affirming for her. I tried pointing out even if he did appear he’d likely be doing a track she didn’t know, but that didn't put her off. I tried explaining the @stuartbert two hatsargument that watching a set in the hope there’ll be a guest is a terrible reason to see it, but no dice. So we headed to the back of the Pyramid for Kendrick. It was OK. I enjoyed bits of it. However, because we were at the back I could hear some of the sound bleed from West Holts and it sounded incredible, even at that distance. I spent half of Kendrick’s set gazing longingly in the direction of WH, watching the sky lit up with the amazing visuals. I was so tempted to cut and run. Mrs B agreed we should probably go, but was too invested in the idea of Eminem. We should really have split up, but we were heading home post headliners and didn’t want to be separated for our final set of the festival. I’ve since watched Bicep back and know it was 1,000,000% the wrong decision, which I already knew anyway. 

4. I didn’t eat enough good food. This is a massive understatement - I barely ate at all. I just couldn’t face the queues so I ate shit from stalls with no queue, or not at all. Thursday I ate a chip butty at 9pm, Friday a pizza at 11.30am, Saturday nothing at all and Sunday a toastie at 3pm and a bacon roll at 7pm. That’s literally all I ate in four days. After we’d got home on Monday morning I ate an entire loaf of bread as toast in one go. Need to look after myself better! Didn’t learn from 2019! 

5. We didn’t go to the merch stand until late in the festival when there was nothing left. Same mistake, every year! I’ve now ordered online and had to pay delivery 🤦‍♂️

What are your regrets? 

I managed to arrive for 2 after Noel, indeed I was surprised how many of his fans were leaving, but then most of my visits to Pyramid this time involved arriving from the JP/Mandela side and being further back. 

For 5 it wouldn't have made much difference unless you went Wednesday, from Thursday when I arrived several items were out of stock at the two stalls I went to. At least online you're not carrying it about and it gets home pristine. 

Not putting my ticket and passout securely in my wallet when taking our gear back to the car on Sunday morning. Didn't manage to get back in the site until 3.30pm, after which we'd missed half of the day and felt very fatigued from the waiting around.

Big kudos to Gate D enquiries though for letting me back in after I stupidly lost my ticket, for a while there I thought I was heading home early. 

- Going to see Diana Ross when my heart said 'Fontaines DC' - should have gone where I wanted to and not been a sheep

- Not heading to the Park on Saturday afternoon and again being a sheep, if I had there's a good chance I would have caught Paolo in the rabbit hole

Thats all I think 

Being rough as fuck on Sunday and unable to move til 8pm. Hated myself for that. Got serious sunburn too. If you walked past our tent in Pylon while I was asleep in my boxers outside then I can only apologise.

Edited by elgatonegrofabricwardrobe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Taking far too much stuff. I took my son and ended up bringing a lot of clothes, food, cooking stuff that never got used.

Leaving the fairly decent spot we had for Wet Leg out of concern for my son. Don’t think the crowd got as rowdy as I anticipated. 

Not watching Turnstile and Amyl & The Sniffers. In fact not sure we made any of the big tent venues? 

Missing out on both Jon Hopkins and Four Tet. 

Not being able to tell the yakkers and ‘look, I’m here’ people (mainly for McCartney) that they’re fucking a-holes.    

Not a regret, but because the site has changed so much since last being there (I think Emily said it’s 4 times as big now!) we tried to take a look around most of it but meant that there were plenty of areas that I didn’t get to spend any quality time at. Now I’ve been I can make a list of places I want to spend more time at.

None of this ruined the festival. Had an amazing time. 

8 hours ago, blutarsky said:

4. I didn’t eat enough good food. This is a massive understatement - I barely ate at all. I just couldn’t face the queues so I ate shit from stalls with no queue, or not at all. Thursday I ate a chip butty at 9pm, Friday a pizza at 11.30am, Saturday nothing at all and Sunday a toastie at 3pm and a bacon roll at 7pm. That’s literally all I ate in four days. After we’d got home on Monday morning I ate an entire loaf of bread as toast in one go. Need to look after myself better! Didn’t learn from 2019! 

Why would you regret this? That's what you should be doing at a festival. You only need 1 meal a day in the morning, and just drink and sniff gear the rest of the time. Buying food is a waste of money and most of the time you get served up a plate of shit by some hungover student working for a ticket who doesnt give a damn. As you found out, you can just stuff yourself silly when you get home, for cheaper. Once at a festival, i didnt eat absolutely anything for 4 days, but i was fine. 

17 minutes ago, elgatonegrofabricwardrobe said:

Being rough as fuck on Sunday and unable to move til 8pm. Hated myself for that. Got serious sunburn too. If you walked past our tent in Pylon while I was asleep in my boxers outside then I can only apologise.

I want to hear more about the Saturday night!

Very few regrets this year. I have finally realised my limits and didn't over do it, and I modified my daily schedule for ease of use rather than bring around the site trying toes everyone and everything.

One thing I do regret is for the first time not visiting the Theatre & Circus fields. It's weird how my festival just panned out that way, very bizarre. Other than that it was just best time and may have even knocked my 2009 debut from it's perch atop my all-time favourite Glastonbury.

Tl;dr: Losing my ticket. Mobile coverage. Bad planning.

1: Losing my ticket pretty much as soon as I got in the gate (I'm guessing) on Wednesday morning! What a cock up! Cost me all of the morning plus a chunk of the afternoon and knackered me out more than I should have been for the rest of the festival I reckon.

Queued up at Gate B from about 8pm on the Tuesday with just tent, sleeping bag, day backpack and chair all on trolley. No sleep really (or the night before).

Got in. Got to Row Mead. Set up tent. Went back to Gate B with via Big Ground lock up to deposit day backpack full of crap. Got to Gate B and my ticket was not in my back pocket where I thought I had put it.

Cue panic. Couldn't not go back to car as medication for the week was in rucksack (along with everything else not previously mentioned). If it wasn't for the meds I may not have bothered.

So back to Row Mead to check tent for ticket, via Big Ground lock up again to check backpack for ticket and put trolley in (sod pulling that up to Row Mead again). Lock up queue bigger now.

Get to tent. No sign of ticket, so back to Gate B via Big Ground lock up again to get trolley. Queue bigger again.

Then more panic inducing discussions with the supervisors at the gate. Can't get a pass out without a ticket. Can't get back in without a pass out and ticket. Told to go to portacabin just outside gate. Luckily no queue there. (with hindsight would've/should've/could've done this the first time and not gone back to tent to look for ticket).

Long discussions and phone calls to ticket people (or whoever) there. Had no photo ID except for a citizen card, which I only had/got because one year pre face on tickets they mentioned that you may need photo ID to get in. Nothing with address on though. Was asked what medication I was on. Was baffled as to why. Was told to go to car, get meds and come back to prove story was true.

So, half an hour later (at least, parked in Purple 2, that bloody hill is The Hill Of Death, not Gate C) I'm back at the portacabin with meds and prescription (which luckily had address on it). Big queue now but bloke recognises me, sees my meds and prescription, stamps pink slip and I'm back on my way in.

Slight panic on re-entry as an observant young steward noticed that the slip had been date stamped November 2020. Luckily they were cool about it.

Finally got back to Row Mead at about 14:00. Just in time to get to Mik Artistic iirc. Cost me about four hours and what felt like four miles I reckon.

Proper huge kudos to the guy in the portacabin for his patience and reasonableness.

2. EE coverage being shite.

My texts were getting off site fine but messages to someone on site stopped being delivered early Wednesday evening. They finally got some of them Monday afternoon. Probably cost at least two or three meet ups. As I'm on EE I feel royally pissed off about this.

3. Bad planning.

Should have found time to do a clashfinder before I got there. Had only got 'round to doing Wednesday and Thursday. Ended up just circling things in the programme but as we know they don't show all of the times at all of the stages. Probably missed stuff I'd have liked at some of the smaller tents (e.g. Idles@BBC).

And getting to things way earlier than I needed to. Could probably have seen more and eaten better with better time management. Related I have also decided that my days of wanting to be near the front are possibly behind me. Didn't like not really having any way out of the crowds I ended up/had put myself in during Sugababes and Noel into Macca. Would do a Supergrass again though, where I was about third row with no crush (they were up against TLC), but then that got silly for Idles (an extremely enjoyable silly once I'd got out of the crush), so a tough one to call really.

And carrying way too much crap in the backpack with me all day. Surely partly the 'cause of all of my muscular skeletal problems all weekend.

What can I say? It'd been three years. Out of practice.

Still 9.5/10 though. Will be refreshing F5 like a man possessed come October.