Regrets, I’ve had a few… 2022

blutarsky

40 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Not packing Gaviscon

Not seeing Brass Against at any point

Top tip, just take Nexium (or any esomeprozole) each day whilst at Glastonbury, that's what I do and works a treat no matter how much cider I drink (it's the cider that gives me major heartburn).

Edited by Dave_c
  • Upvote 1

1. Leaving Kae Tempest to go to Wet Leg. Couldn’t hear a thing. God I hate the Park Stage.

2. Seeing the Avalanches over Olivia Rodrigo. Couldn’t hear a thing. God I hate the Park Stage. 

3. Calling it a day after Macca and not going Shangri-La.

4. Waiting for Nightmares on Wax, especially when Mrs S went to Sports Team so could’ve probably got a space for George Ezra.

2 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

. I drank way more than usual, in a shorter space of time. It gave me a monster hangover and made me feel pretty tired and ropey for most of Wednesday

no-food will do that too.

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

So, what did you get wrong this year…? 

For me, there are a few based on acts we saw, and two based on the same errors I make every time… 

1. I played Thursday and Friday really well, but do wish we’d seen Four Tet headline the Park rather than Foals on the Other. We went to Foals with my sister and Brother-in-law as they really like them, and had an ok time, but would have had a much better time at Four Tet. It’s not a big regret though. 

2. Saturday night is a bit of a black hole for us. We watched Big Thief at the Park which finished at 7ish, then we managed to do nothing much at all until 2300. We headed to the Pyramid to meet family, who had a spot between the AV and sound desks for Macca. It was so tight we were struggling to get there and people were being a bit aggro about us trying to get in. We then hit a spot with families and the kids were clearly a bit distressed about being stuck in there which really put us off going any for their, so we gave up. We hit the SEC early and had a great time at the Common, although we got waylaid there and didn’t make it to the Downlow, which was our initial plan 😂. With the benefit of hindsight I really wish we’d decided to get to the Pyramid for half of Noel, or even just toughed out the crowd to get in for Macca. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and we were a bit on the fence about Macca before, hence pulling out. Definite regret. 

3. Kendrick over Bicep. This is the one I REALLY regret. I’m not bothered by Kendrick at all - just not familiar and not my thing. Mrs B isn’t familiar either, but she caught wind of the Eminem rumour, and seeing him would have been life affirming for her. I tried pointing out even if he did appear he’d likely be doing a track she didn’t know, but that didn't put her off. I tried explaining the @stuartbert two hatsargument that watching a set in the hope there’ll be a guest is a terrible reason to see it, but no dice. So we headed to the back of the Pyramid for Kendrick. It was OK. I enjoyed bits of it. However, because we were at the back I could hear some of the sound bleed from West Holts and it sounded incredible, even at that distance. I spent half of Kendrick’s set gazing longingly in the direction of WH, watching the sky lit up with the amazing visuals. I was so tempted to cut and run. Mrs B agreed we should probably go, but was too invested in the idea of Eminem. We should really have split up, but we were heading home post headliners and didn’t want to be separated for our final set of the festival. I’ve since watched Bicep back and know it was 1,000,000% the wrong decision, which I already knew anyway. 

4. I didn’t eat enough good food. This is a massive understatement - I barely ate at all. I just couldn’t face the queues so I ate shit from stalls with no queue, or not at all. Thursday I ate a chip butty at 9pm, Friday a pizza at 11.30am, Saturday nothing at all and Sunday a toastie at 3pm and a bacon roll at 7pm. That’s literally all I ate in four days. After we’d got home on Monday morning I ate an entire loaf of bread as toast in one go. Need to look after myself better! Didn’t learn from 2019! 

5. We didn’t go to the merch stand until late in the festival when there was nothing left. Same mistake, every year! I’ve now ordered online and had to pay delivery 🤦‍♂️

What are your regrets? 

Yeah we all have a few each year mate. 

I'm pretty raging at missing Herbie because we couldn't get the girls in the group ready to go on time. Should've just went on ahead. 

Regret missing Fontaines for Diana Ross but can always we them on tour later in the year. 

And regret not going to Digweed on Friday night because my feet were absolutely fucked. That was pathetic. 

Should've spent more time at IICON too. That place is pretty mental. 

I loved Foals by the way 😅

Band wise, no regrets all. Probably my best Glasto for seeing who I intended to.

Telling my first timer mate that fatboy slim was playing the gas tower whilst we was at san remo, we trudged for an hour to get there and it was a complete waste of time

1 minute ago, Space Shanty said:

Yeah we all have a few each year mate. 

I'm pretty raging at missing Herbie because we couldn't get the girls in the group ready to go on time. Should've just went on ahead. 

i saw him on the day, but i watched Herbie on iPlayer yesterday was great, a good watch.

Copping for some sort of viral bug on Saturday. Just felt so cold and shite. Managed to see the bands but was pretty done in post bands on Saturday and Sunday so did not get to really take advantage of late night /early morning action.

Only starting to feel better now and have been wiped out for a week. Didn't even have the decency to be Rona. Just some other shared viral shite.

Looking back at photos, I clearly had a brilliant festival but it just took the edge of it as I was determined to push through Sunday night but was in bed for 1.

No biggies for me, I guess I should have really committed for Wetleg or not bothered at all. Wasted my time trying as it was. 

We left Deptford Northern  Soul Club as my wife wanted to catch some Calvin Harris. Wish we’d stayed in Williams Green. Much nicer.

I do wish I’d checked the alternator connection on my camper before I set off. 🙂

Not necessarily a massive regret but I ended up spending way too much time in SEC again - same as every year! This was my 5th glasto and every year I have the best intentions to go down the rabbit hole, explore crows nest etc. and have a night that doesn't end up in the naughty corner and this year was no exception. Got swept along with mates who were all hell bent on heading over to IICON or shangri la. Still had loads of fun but I wish I'd ticked some more things off my glasto bucket list. 

I also definitely couldn't go as hard this year as in previous years, or at least I needed more rest than usual. I beat myself up over not being able to do everything and got in a bit of a funk - I wish I'd been a bit kinder to myself. It's hard though when we've been away form the farm for 3 years and every time you go could be your last!

• Like 1

Did anyone make it into the Funkingham Palace for Greg Wilson, Four Tet and Nick Warren on Thursday night?

I regret missing that but the queue was a bit of a joke so can't complain that others in the group decided against it. Between that and the crowd at Sasha being too big and a bit dodgy (plus the sound being crap) it was an annoying couple of hours. 

With so many decisions to make all the time, I think it's best to accept that you'll make some mistakes. That's just inevitable, so accept and roll with it. 🙂

Having said that, my main mistake was walking all the way up to Diana Ross after she'd started, only to end up trekking through the back of a crazy overcrowded field and thus deciding just to leave again to get a good spot for McFly ... which I ultimatly didn't enjoy cos I thought I'd recognise a load of songs, and I only knew 2 ... while everyone else around me was loving it.

But the rest of my festival went well 🙂

Thursday and Friday went pretty perfectly, a good mix of wandering and catching acts that we were really into. 

Saturday night was the big regret for me. We left Macca pretty much just before he bought Dave Grohl on. Lots of the group we were with were moaning that it was a bit shit (no hits / beatles stuff etc) and there were loads of chatters around us, so whilst up to that point, it had been at best "ok" i knew it was gonna get better 😉, regardless, I agreed with the Mrs that we would head up to Arcadia as we hadn't been up there before and we both wanted to see Calvin Harris. Caught the end of Kurrupt FM up there and then Four Tet who were both decent and seeing the Spider for the first time was awesome, but Calvin Harris was awful so we binned it off after about 20 minutes anyway. The worst bit was that to get from Macca to Calvin we walked straight past Silver Hayes where Overmono were playing a live set and I reckon we would have loved that.  

Sunday was a bit of a right off - both of us were feeling pretty tired and ill (tested positive when we got home) so just packed up and then went to watch DiRo from way back on the hill before heading home to watch Kendrick on the TV. As a non Kendrick fan, i actually think that was the best way to see him, as you could appreciate a bit more of the theatrics than if you were stood there in the field. 

Can't complain though - very rarely gonna make the right choice everytime. 

Fairly minor regrets/cock-ups this year but I always have some.

Getting the start time of System 7 wrong and only seeing the last 15 minutes.

Not getting the memo about Richard Thompson cancelling.

Leaving a good spot at Macca '10mins early' to beat the rush to the loos/bar and then the bugger played on for ages. I wasn't too fussed about la-la-ing along to Hey Jude, but Helter Skelter... (not that I completely missed it - I watched to the end from the cider bus)

After Macca and possibly too many post-gig ciders, going back to our tent for 'a short rest' before our usual pilgrimage to see The Egg at the Rabbit Hole and falling asleep.

Not spending more time at West Holts.

Horrible clashes - Macca v Roisin v Waterboys really hurt

Not pushing it enough cos y'know I'm getting on a bit now, and feeling far too fit and fresh on monday!

Very few regrets as went pretty much alone and probably had my most selfish festival yet. Valued that.

Wish I'd had less fun Friday night. Got carried away in SEC. Meant I suffered all day Sat then had to work 7pm-3am Sat which meant bed straight after on Sat night. Should've paced myself better and enjoyed less on Fri, more on Sat.

Sun was my first full day off since Thurs. Got carried away and was too wasted really for Bicep. Haven't forgotten it totally, but would've liked to remember it a little better.

With all that said...never regret anything. At one point it was exactly what you wanted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not many for me. Wish I'd have left Camelphat earlier on Thursday night and gone exploring by myself.

Other than that I wish I took it easier during the day and took more time to chill as I had no energy left by 2am each night. I spent most of the days not wanting to waste them and so did massive walks to catch the last halves of some sets just so I didn't feel as though I was wasting time. Made my SE corner experiences more of a chore as I always knew I had the long walk back to do.

4 hours ago, blutarsky said:

4. I didn’t eat enough good food. This is a massive understatement - I barely ate at all. I just couldn’t face the queues so I ate shit from stalls with no queue, or not at all. Thursday I ate a chip butty at 9pm, Friday a pizza at 11.30am, Saturday nothing at all and Sunday a toastie at 3pm and a bacon roll at 7pm. That’s literally all I ate in four days. After we’d got home on Monday morning I ate an entire loaf of bread as toast in one go. Need to look after myself better! Didn’t learn from 2019! 

I would actually pass out if I didn't eat that much EACH day while doing all that walking around and drinking. Especially after all the carrying in

Edited by efcfanwirral

Only really have one regret this year – it’s a bit embarrassing and pathetic, but maybe getting it off my chest will act like some kind of therapy…

Basically – my new boss is something of a passive-aggressive micromanager, and even though at first we got on well, we had a falling out over the booking of holidays (yup, you know which holiday…)

this happened a couple of months ago, and I have been unable to let it go (unfortunately i tend to hold onto grudges, pretty much forever) – to the extent that at the beginning of festival week I could feel my mood getting worse and worse, and it all ended with me spending Wednesday and Thursday at the festival basically hating everyone and everything. Its lucky actually that the trains were messed up because at one point I think I would have gone home.

Thankfully, for whatever reason, I got up on Friday and felt so much better – from that point on I had a great festival.

Bit of added info – I have OCD which over the years has morphed into depression and various anxieties (not looking for any pity, just for context).

I just couldn’t let it go – it was just there gnawing away inside my head and I could not escape it, and for two days I was horrible to everyone and did my very best to sabotage my own festival. At one point I vowed I’d never go back, threatened to shave my head (I have dreads down to my waist)

I knew very well I was talking shite, but I also knew very well there was nothing I could do about it. the side that can still see reason has no power over the side bent on self destruction, no matter how full of shit that side may be.

I know that when the black cloud descends, I just have to hang on and ride it out, and sooner or later I will come out the other side (easier said than done).

I don’t know why I woke up on Friday ready to enjoy it – maybe it was Jah guidance, I don’t know – but I do know that:

a) I deeply regret my behavior for those days

And

b) I am deeply thankfully that it turned around (I have, in the past, not been so lucky)

Anyways, that’s it really – apologies for the pity party.

Aside from that, this year was a great one!

• Upvote 3

Watching Diana Ross when I could've took advantage of the other areas of the festival being quieter..... Luckily left after 40 mins and caught amyl and the sniffers (not for me but better than Ross 🤣)

Never made it to sec or Avalon bar