Regrets, I’ve had a few… 2022

blutarsky

So, what did you get wrong this year…? 

For me, there are a few based on acts we saw, and two based on the same errors I make every time… 

1. I played Thursday and Friday really well, but do wish we’d seen Four Tet headline the Park rather than Foals on the Other. We went to Foals with my sister and Brother-in-law as they really like them, and had an ok time, but would have had a much better time at Four Tet. It’s not a big regret though. 

2. Saturday night is a bit of a black hole for us. We watched Big Thief at the Park which finished at 7ish, then we managed to do nothing much at all until 2300. We headed to the Pyramid to meet family, who had a spot between the AV and sound desks for Macca. It was so tight we were struggling to get there and people were being a bit aggro about us trying to get in. We then hit a spot with families and the kids were clearly a bit distressed about being stuck in there which really put us off going any for their, so we gave up. We hit the SEC early and had a great time at the Common, although we got waylaid there and didn’t make it to the Downlow, which was our initial plan 😂. With the benefit of hindsight I really wish we’d decided to get to the Pyramid for half of Noel, or even just toughed out the crowd to get in for Macca. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and we were a bit on the fence about Macca before, hence pulling out. Definite regret. 

3. Kendrick over Bicep. This is the one I REALLY regret. I’m not bothered by Kendrick at all - just not familiar and not my thing. Mrs B isn’t familiar either, but she caught wind of the Eminem rumour, and seeing him would have been life affirming for her. I tried pointing out even if he did appear he’d likely be doing a track she didn’t know, but that didn't put her off. I tried explaining the @stuartbert two hatsargument that watching a set in the hope there’ll be a guest is a terrible reason to see it, but no dice. So we headed to the back of the Pyramid for Kendrick. It was OK. I enjoyed bits of it. However, because we were at the back I could hear some of the sound bleed from West Holts and it sounded incredible, even at that distance. I spent half of Kendrick’s set gazing longingly in the direction of WH, watching the sky lit up with the amazing visuals. I was so tempted to cut and run. Mrs B agreed we should probably go, but was too invested in the idea of Eminem. We should really have split up, but we were heading home post headliners and didn’t want to be separated for our final set of the festival. I’ve since watched Bicep back and know it was 1,000,000% the wrong decision, which I already knew anyway. 

4. I didn’t eat enough good food. This is a massive understatement - I barely ate at all. I just couldn’t face the queues so I ate shit from stalls with no queue, or not at all. Thursday I ate a chip butty at 9pm, Friday a pizza at 11.30am, Saturday nothing at all and Sunday a toastie at 3pm and a bacon roll at 7pm. That’s literally all I ate in four days. After we’d got home on Monday morning I ate an entire loaf of bread as toast in one go. Need to look after myself better! Didn’t learn from 2019! 

5. We didn’t go to the merch stand until late in the festival when there was nothing left. Same mistake, every year! I’ve now ordered online and had to pay delivery 🤦‍♂️

What are your regrets? 

Edited by blutarsky

Normally, the Thursday is a bit of a slow, lengthy bar crawl day, with plenty of time wandering between drinks soaking it all in. Because I was working for the first time this year, I went on the crew bar crawl on the Tuesday night. I drank way more than usual, in a shorter space of time. It gave me a monster hangover and made me feel pretty tired and ropey for most of Wednesday, which was one of only two full days off.

That said, given the opportunity, I’d probably do the same all over again.

On the Friday, I was working 6:30pm until 2:30am (Sat) so tried to do and see as much as I could before my shift. To then do an 8 hour shift, at my age, after an almost full on day, was absolutely knackering.

After Suzanne Vega on Sunday night, I had a leisurely pint and wind down, knowing I needed to be up early to get tent down in time for my coach. Now that I’m home, I regret not staying at full throttle and pushing on through until the wee small hours. It was only one more night, and I’ve now got another year to wait.

Not seeing PSB.  I'm not even really sure why I didn't.  I didn't have any other plans but I think I was just a bit "done" with big stages and especially the Other and having to try to establish the optimum place to stand.

Didn't go to the cabaret, circus etc.

Didn't find things to do late - being on my own, I couldn't be bothered to walk miles only to risk finding whatever I found was no fun on my own and I was miles away from my tent.  I must remember "so what?" in future. 

Again, only made Strummerville on Thursday.

Mine are really minor.

1. After watching Nova Twins on Thu night I could have headed up to Crow's Nest to meet up with camping and whatsapp group for drinks and shenanigans. Instead of a slow bimble around before meeting up with my brother in law.

2. Probably could and should have bombed it up to the park after Supergrass on the Other to see Arlo Parks instead of Dub Pistols on Glade. Thoroughly enjoyed Dubs as always but seen them quite a few times before and never seen Arlo, and with hindsight I could have done it without affecting what I did afterwards.

3. On Saturday I didn't need to check my day bag into Oxlyers lock up before Skunk Anansie. I'd done it on Thursday for Pigs and Nova Twins so I could get into the pit properly and it worked a treat, and was expecting a similar pit at the front for SA. In the end the crowd wasn't going for it so I could have taken my bag in after all and saved myself some time either side by not checking it in and out.

Apart from that, nothing really. It would have been nice to spend a bit more time mooching, but there was so much on that I wanted to see that pinging about was absolutely worth it.

Overall it's the festival I've come away from with the fewest regrets ever.

Only small regret is not being at Macca to see Dave Grohl. Not sure if it would have made it worth sitting through a 3 hour singalong though. I had an enjoyable Saturday night regardless. 

Other than that I have no regrets. Made the right calls for the Friday and Sunday night headliners. Being as far away from the pyramid for those as possible!

1. Watching Noel over Olivia Rodrigo. Seen Noel loads of times. Had a good time, but never seen Olivia Rodrigo & probably wont now.

2. Watching Kendrick over Bicep. Had a good time, but would have preferred Bicep.

3. Got too fucked on Thursday & didn't do much until Genosys 1am on Fri Morning.

1- Leaving Supergrass for TLC

2- Thinking we could actually hear/see some of Wet Leg from the Park Hill

3- Staying too long at Diana Ross hoping it would get better.

Lesson learned: follow your instinct, not your head.

4-Missing Greentea Peng at Strummerville, but not sure if that came up online before. If so I should have checked secret set rumours better

• Like 1

Missing Greentea at Strummerville also for me. I had been up there an hour or so earlier watching a lovely set from English Teacher (crowd of about 10!). I had spoken to the sound engineer (dude with iPad), at that point either he didn't know that GP was playing the TBA set, or wouldn't tell me, so I left, which was my regret. 

2 minutes ago, 2019 said:

Missing Greentea at Strummerville also for me. I had been up there an hour or so earlier watching a lovely set from English Teacher (crowd of about 10!). I had spoken to the sound engineer (dude with iPad), at that point either he didn't know that GP was playing the TBA set, or wouldn't tell me, so I left, which was my regret. 

Oh that hurts!

• Like 1

Nothing major but I’ve got a couple.

1. Should have stayed at The Park after Big Thief for The Avalanches and Mitski and then watched the end of Macca from the back. One of my groups absolute idol is Macca so we ended up getting really close with her in the crowd movement between Noel and Macca, but I know I’d have had more fun staying at the Park. I ended up leaving Macca anyway as I couldn’t face sobering up at the front for over 2 hours.

2. Should have gone to see Caroline Polachek instead of Diana Ross. I think because it was my first Glasto I felt obliged to go to the legends slot (and Tbf I loved the idea of seeing Diana Ross), but it was obnoxiously busy and I’d have had much more fun at the Park.

Mostly really happy with my choices this year - totally embraced the ethos of “see who you want to see in the moment” and it worked out 😄

So some very minor things…

- Leaving Kae Tempest’s Truth stage set early to try & get in for KH (Four Tet) at BBC Introducing. Tent was rammed - should have stuck with Kae. 

- Drinking my entire night’s supply of vodka before the end of Four Tet at the park 🤦‍♂️ By the time I’d got to IICON for Overmono I was in a mess & have very little memory of anything…

That’s pretty much it though! 

My main regret was not doing much after hours this year. Unfortunately my other half couldn't go in the end, so I spent most of the festival on my own. Had a mate and his other half to spend time with but they called it a night each night at about 1 or so, and whilst I tried it's hard work on your own to get the motivation in the wee hours to go places.  Other than that I think I made good choices this year overall.

Edited by Dave_c

I think I just went too hard/intense (not on the booze or supplement kinda things , though there were still no half measures) when it came to actually seeing stuff and trying to make the most of it 

I had the attitude of  ‘head down, get to places and don’t spend more than 10 minutes sitting down’ and I think in doing so, I just didn’t give myself any time to sit back and take it all in. I don’t regret seeing anyone or anything I managed to see but I missed out on some of the small pleasures as a result 

• Upvote 1

My only major one was going in far to hard on the Saturday night...was in SEC till about 4am then went to Strummerville for a bit on our way home and didn't get to sleep till just gone 6am.... I  then had to pack all my stuff up on Sunday to put in the lock up ahead of my 5.30am Monday morning coach home.

Was in a right pickle when I eventually woke up and struggled to do anything let alone pack everything down, didn't get to the lock ups till 5pm then only saw a couple of things and Bicep on Sunday which I felt was a bit of a waste.

Oh well!

For my first Glasto I have no regrets at all - it was amazing in every way and I think I paced everything just right and made really good choices with regards to the acts I saw.

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

2. Should have gone to see Caroline Polachek instead of Diana Ross. I think because it was my first Glasto I felt obliged to go to the legends slot (and Tbf I loved the idea of seeing Diana Ross), but it was obnoxiously busy and I’d have had much more fun at the Park.

Diana Ross was my choice on my original clashfinder for exactly the same reasons you mention - thankfully I followed my instincts and went to Caroline who was great.  At least you will know for the next time - definitely watch who you want to, not who you "should be at".

11 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Mostly really happy with my choices this year - totally embraced the ethos of “see who you want to see in the moment” and it worked out 😄

100% this.  Jessie Ware instead of Macca and Caroline instead of Diana - no regrets at all - great time at both.

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Diana Ross was my choice on my original clashfinder for exactly the same reasons you mention - thankfully I followed my instincts and went to Caroline who was great.  At least you will know for the next time - definitely watch who you want to, not who you "should be at".

I think my problem was that I’d already decided I was seeing Macca and Diana Ross before the set times were out. I almost didn’t really take note of who else was playing against them because I knew I was going to see them both. Then one day I realised how much fun I could have if I stayed at the Park on Saturday night, and I think while I was at the festival and had a good feel for the place it dawned on me that Caroline Polachek would be more enjoyable, but I stuck to my plan.

Like you say, I’ll know better for next time now!

Big regret is not going to South East Corner, or really any of the interesting places in the festival at all - I think in the last few years, have kind of forgotten all the intricacies of the festival and a lot of the things one can really only do there - whereas a lot of music on big stages I saw was great, but could easily be replicated elsewhere....

Already planning an itinerary for next time based on all the idiosyncrasies of the festival, rather than a vague idea of music i'd quite like to see and then letting the day sort of run down