Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Kinda glad tbh, hampden is shite and a pain to get to from where I am. Give me glasgow green any day of the week. Even bellahouston is alright and tbh might be a shout cause they have a lot of big names playing stand alone shows there in recent years eg rhcp, greenday, foos etc 

Bella would be my guess but it's only a guess for now. Hampden is a gutless hell hole. Those gigs there recently have looked atrocious 

Thick moment, but can anyone figure the last time a Glastonbury headliner did a stadium run alongside a Pyramid top slot? The only thing that might not quite sell me on it is the notion that you seldom get someone doing a run of that magnitude and dropping Glastonbury in the mix. It'd be more common to do Glastonbury and possibly another festival, maybe.

Radiohead did Old Trafford, but that was a change of venue after the Manchester Arena bombing.

Wait, I have found it - Coldplay played in 2016 on the back of a stadium run. So it isn't unprecedented, but it is a rarity.

2 hours ago, mufcok said:

Stadium shows is interesting. Wonder if that's alongside a normal Spring UK tour, if it'll just be the stadium shows? North America (apart from the two September festival dates) still mysteriously missing as well. Be amazed if there isn't more to come there

defo more for the USA, those festivals will have paid heaps to get AM over for just 2 US dates. People will be travelling from all over to them no doubt! North America autumn next year i reckon

36 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Thick moment, but can anyone figure the last time a Glastonbury headliner did a stadium run alongside a Pyramid top slot? The only thing that might not quite sell me on it is the notion that you seldom get someone doing a run of that magnitude and dropping Glastonbury in the mix. It'd be more common to do Glastonbury and possibly another festival, maybe.

Radiohead did Old Trafford, but that was a change of venue after the Manchester Arena bombing.

Wait, I have found it - Coldplay played in 2016 on the back of a stadium run. So it isn't unprecedented, but it is a rarity.

Interesting point this

8 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I think some general rules can be let slip for a year or two due to COVID fucking everything up and artists trying to fit in two/three years of touring in to a single year, so where they might not have played Glastonbury + stadium dates previously, it might just be something that has to happen next year in order for them to squeeze everything in, similar to Billie doing Glastonbury slap bang in the middle of her arena run this year. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Fair enough. Covid-19 may well have thrown logic to the wind. 

Know folk in their forums are convinced but just can't quite picture Arctic Monkeys this time around. If they don't, they're probably a 2024 lock, to finish the two-year touring cycle. 

Doubt they’ll be touring in 2024. This one kicks off in august 2022 and will run through to 2023 I would guess, the tbhc tour wasn’t very long.

6 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Doubt they’ll be touring in 2024. This one kicks off in august 2022 and will run through to 2023 I would guess, the tbhc tour wasn’t very long.

I'd assumed that was more down to getting out behind it and realising that it was sinking like a lead balloon with some parts of their fanbase demographic. But you're probably right.

35 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'd assumed that was more down to getting out behind it and realising that it was sinking like a lead balloon with some parts of their fanbase demographic. But you're probably right.

I think they knew from day one that tbhc wouldn’t go down well with most of the AM-era fans. I genuinely think they don’t care. They’re huge and rich and can do whatever they want really 

36 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I think it was just short to be honest, not sure they are really bothered that people didn't like it and its grown on a lot of people now anyway. @fraybentos1 beat me to it.

I wonder if 2020 had stuff planned as they may have just binned it off earlier than most regarding covid - they do like to announce everything at once themselves so perhaps they just kept it very quiet and waited then canned

26 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think it was just short to be honest, not sure they are really bothered that people didn't like it and its grown on a lot of people now anyway. @fraybentos1 beat me to it.

I wonder if 2020 had stuff planned as they may have just binned it off earlier than most regarding covid - they do like to announce everything at once themselves so perhaps they just kept it very quiet and waited then canned

I tend to keep up with their forums a bit cause I’m a big fan. Rough timeline from what I remember is:

- late 2019 some recording started in Paris and London

-2020 not much happened due to them living all over the place plus covid 

- summer 2021 the thing about them recording at that venue in England came out, butley prior or something I think it was called 

-covid defo pushed everything back but r&l was signed and sealed in spring 2021

-album 7 is meant to be q4 and probs October 

- pretty sure it’ll be big outdoor U.K. gigs next summer and I am pretty convinced glasto too

Edited by fraybentos1

Am I right in thinking some/most of their European dates this summer are outdoor open air type venues?

Wonder if they'd keep that theme going in the UK rather than typical stadium gigs. Would be quite an Artic Monkeys move to do something a bit different too. They are probably one of the very few artists in this country who could confidently sell out nights at the likes of Knebworth, Roundhay Park, Slane Castle etc.

Roundhay Park isn't a bad shout, but straight after Leeds Festival may well be a stretch.

51 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They’re huge and rich and can do whatever they want really 

Fair enough. Yorkshiremen done good.

50 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think it was just short to be honest

Glastonbury could well be a capstone next year for it then.

Eh, I feel pretty... ambivalent about them being booked. Returning headliners are no bad thing, but I'd rather see someone else have a crack, particularly if we're already booking a heritage artist atop the bill. (I know Elton John may not have played before, but either way.)

That said, imagine they'll go down very well both on the farm and on the telly.

22 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yeah, I've been hearing this chat for years. A bit like Elton John at Glastonbury, I'll believe it when I see it!

Better believe it. 🙂

Hillsborough Park will host maximum of 3 days during the months of May-September in either 2023 or 2024. Provisional dates are 2nd and 3rd June 2023.

SJM have the go ahead from Sheffield council. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, JBarbour said:

Better believe it. 🙂

Hillsborough Park will host maximum of 3 days during the months of May-September in either 2023 or 2024. Provisional dates are 2nd and 3rd June 2023.

SJM have the go ahead from Sheffield council. 

Wouldn't necessarily trust them to get it over the line this time either!

But tallies well with the talk everywhere else, it must be said.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Nice, nice. I do owe the last one another listen, it has been a while.

I couldn't get on with TBHAC, although I may try again.

Next bombshell: haven't listened to Humbug or Suck It & See either. 

No particular axe to grind or owt, just never got round to them!

13 hours ago, Quark said:

I couldn't get on with TBHAC, although I may try again.

Next bombshell: haven't listened to Humbug or Suck It & See either. 

No particular axe to grind or owt, just never got round to them!

Those are my two favourite albums. SIAS is absolutely wonderful, a glorious 40 minutes to appreciate start to finish.