Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I’ve seen the October date mentioned a few times but wasn’t aware if there was any legitimacy to it. No lead single will be interesting again - can’t wait for all the lads to be raging on album day when it’s another loungey, psychy slowburner. 

Yeah it’s legit but not been said explicitly that it’s October but that’s the hint. There’s a couple people on those forums who know things defo. 

Would like a single before then but doubt it tbh. They don’t do releases that well, kills the hype 

18 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

That televised set at Reading was a very timely reminder of their live power. It is interesting, because Me & You Together Song and If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) have left more lasting footprints.

Probably because those two bangers were much more in line with the rest of their output - People was never backed up by anything remotely similar they put out later. A part of me even thinks they  put out People just to be able to say they released something before R&L, and would’ve binned it otherwise. 

Anyway it seems unlikely AM will have anything like such a messy rollout whenever their album does come. 

49 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Probably because those two bangers were much more in line with the rest of their output - People was never backed up by anything remotely similar they put out later. A part of me even thinks they  put out People just to be able to say they released something before R&L, and would’ve binned it otherwise. 

Anyway it seems unlikely AM will have anything like such a messy rollout whenever their album does come. 

People felt like it was designed almost as a screw-you to people who say they are not a rock band. 

They are bangers though, well said.

As for Arctic Monkeys in stadiums - that's not too much of a surprise. Even if they were to drop another record that split opinion down the middle, they're surely like The Killers now - a band who could reliably head into stadiums, sell very well and put on a hits-heavy performance.

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

As for Arctic Monkeys in stadiums - that's not too much of a surprise. Even if they were to drop another record that split opinion down the middle, they're surely like The Killers now - a band who could reliably head into stadiums, sell very well and put on a hits-heavy performance.

Yep. They’d have almost certainly done stadiums on their last album if it hadn’t been so w*nky. 

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yep. They’d have almost certainly done stadiums on their last album if it hadn’t been so w*nky. 

Was surprised they did not.

The question now is whether it is the typical four-date stadium run - Wembley/Emirates/Tottenham, Manchester, Coventry and Glasgow - or if it is a far more expansive affair.

One would assume the presence of Riverside Stadium - which would likely negate St James' Park or the Stadium of Light, for example - means we could be looking at seven or eight dates, akin to the run The Killers just undertook.

Would also be very interested to know if they would consider a stadium show in Sheffield, or potentially just do a huge open-air capstone there at the end of the wider run. Their presence at Leeds this summer might dictate an element of where they go around Yorkshire.

Feels like one for Fontaines D.C. to be supporting on though.

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

The question now is whether it is the typical four-date stadium run - Wembley/Emirates/Tottenham, Manchester, Coventry and Glasgow - or if it is a far more expansive affair.

One would assume the presence of Riverside Stadium - which would likely negate St James' Park or the Stadium of Light, for example - means we could be looking at seven or eight dates, akin to the run The Killers just undertook.

Would also be very interested to know if they would consider a stadium show in Sheffield, or potentially just do a huge open-air capstone there at the end of the wider run. Their presence at Leeds this summer might dictate an element of where they go around Yorkshire.

Villa Park and Anfield have started booking gigs again lately. Either of those would be far better than bloody Cov 🤞

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Villa Park and Anfield have started booking gigs again lately. Either of those would be far better than bloody Cov 🤞

Was at Coventry for Springsteen. A terrific show, but, er, Coventry, innit.

I'll be out of the country by next summer so it is entirely moot - but given you're split between the two cities, hope one of them pulls it off for you!

Edited by NorthernSoul52

I remember hearing somewhere that they actively hated the idea of doing stadium shows and were trying to put it off as long as possible, but that regional stadium circuit has improved immeasurably in infrastructure/logistics/quality since they were around last, so maybe they've warmed to the idea.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I remember hearing somewhere that they actively hated the idea of doing stadium shows and were trying to put it off as long as possible, but that regional stadium circuit has improved immeasurably in infrastructure/logistics/quality since they were around last, so maybe they've warmed to the idea.

Not sure many artists relish stadium gigs over smaller affairs, but hey ho, the bucks talk.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah similar to what they did with Glastonbury in ‘13: one single out, couple of other new tunes played, but ultimately a greatest hits set. What that means to Arctic Monkeys these days is anybody’s guess as they move further away from their original sound, but you’d have to imagine they’ll pull out most of the big guns for festival sets, especially the likes of R/L if they don’t want to totally bomb. 

They did this at TRNSMT i guess it was on the main TBHC. Seemed to go down well enough but heaps of the hits were left out.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arctic-monkeys/2018/glasgow-green-glasgow-scotland-bea0582.html

I'm seeing them in portugal this year, hoping that because its pre-album it should be a fairly different setlist to the o2 in 2018, with more older hits fingers crossed. When i saw them before over half the set was AM or TBHC. Missed ritz to the rubble on my night too sadly!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arctic-monkeys/2018/the-o2-arena-london-england-23e9b4cb.html

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

People felt like it was designed almost as a screw-you to people who say they are not a rock band. 

They are bangers though, well said.

3 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

They did 4 sold out nights at the O2 among other big arena spells. Could have easily done it regardless of the album, just choose not to.

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

They've been trying to do that park where tramlines is (hillsborough park is it?) since 2020. General consensus is they are doing it next year

33 minutes ago, gfa said:

They've been trying to do that park where tramlines is (hillsborough park is it?) since 2020. General consensus is they are doing it next year

Yeah, I've been hearing this chat for years. A bit like Elton John at Glastonbury, I'll believe it when I see it!

Stadium shows is interesting. Wonder if that's alongside a normal Spring UK tour, if it'll just be the stadium shows? North America (apart from the two September festival dates) still mysteriously missing as well. Be amazed if there isn't more to come there

I'd be surprised if they did arena dates in the spring to be followed by stadiums in the summer.

There's a chance there could be a limited arena run - three or four dates - in the early winter before Christmas, but would be shocked if it was a big run, particularly given the aim would be to sell out the stadiums sharpish for 2023.

7 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

A few other people have said they’re doing stadiums too. Probs legit.

Not that it really detracts from the possibility of doing other stadiums, but I know they're definitely not doing a stadium in Scotland 

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Not that it really detracts from the possibility of doing other stadiums, but I know they're definitely not doing a stadium in Scotland 

You probs can’t say but sounds to me that you know they’re doing something else instead, got to be glasgow green or bellahouston park surely but probs the former cause it’s bigger? Trnsmt could have them again I guess, will have been 5 yrs

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

You probs can’t say but sounds to me that you know they’re doing something else instead, got to be glasgow green or bellahouston park surely but probs the former cause it’s bigger? Trnsmt could have them again I guess, will have been 5 yrs

I'll probably find that out at the weekend. For now I only asked if they were doing a stadium and got a, not a stadium no, type of answer 

8 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'll probably find that out at the weekend. For now I only asked if they were doing a stadium and got a, not a stadium no, type of answer 

Kinda glad tbh, hampden is shite and a pain to get to from where I am. Give me glasgow green any day of the week. Even bellahouston is alright and tbh might be a shout cause they have a lot of big names playing stand alone shows there in recent years eg rhcp, greenday, foos etc