Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

Thought I might as well start this now as with them releasing a new album sometime later this year and a tour planned for next, they’re an obvious front runner for one of next year’s top spots.

We also now have this Twitter account claiming that they’re doing it. No idea if this account is known for its Glastonbury/festival info or if they’re just latching on to an obvious rumour, but thought it was worth bringing up. Also seem to have some knowledge of the upcoming album, but again, could just be throwing any old obvious shite out there and claiming to be an insider.

Just now, mufcok said:

I'm surprised how late they're leaving things with the new tunes this time.

Their live dates start in just over a month, absolutely nothing thus far. Not even a hint at a single

Yeah I expected the album to be out by now tbh, or at least before they play Reading/Leeds, but seems they’re probably gonna do what they did in ‘13 and (presumably) release a single and play some festivals off the back of that, but possibly even no single first.

Interested to see what kind of setlists they’re planning this time around - feel like they’ve played AM to absolute death, but also can’t imagine them going TBH&C heavy as that would bomb. 

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Bit of trivia, if AM do end up headlining next year it'll be the first time that an act headlined Glastonbury the year after doing R+L and not the other way round since 2005. The last time it happened was The White Stripes.

And in both cases, the bands will’ve released an album between the two performances, with Reading/Leeds getting the arse end of the Elephant tour with the White Stripes, and getting a pre-new album show with AM. 

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Bit of trivia, if AM do end up headlining next year it'll be the first time that an act headlined Glastonbury the year after doing R+L and not the other way round since 2005. The last time it happened was The White Stripes.

That is a nice little factoid. 

Got to imagine the odds are short on them.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

I'm surprised how late they're leaving things with the new tunes this time.

Their live dates start in just over a month, absolutely nothing thus far. Not even a hint at a single

Could just play it live - hardly unheard of. Very Alex Turner i'd say if anything

Some of the insiders on the AM forums think we are way off hearing anything new. I wonder if they might play a new song in the set but not release anything yet.

Them doing a run of dates but keeping the new material under wraps does look good for their 2023 chances imo. Glastonbury is the bigger promotional gig, and it looks like the new material will be pretty fresh still by the time they hit the farm.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Think we’ll get a single before reading and that’s it.

Yeah similar to what they did with Glastonbury in ‘13: one single out, couple of other new tunes played, but ultimately a greatest hits set. What that means to Arctic Monkeys these days is anybody’s guess as they move further away from their original sound, but you’d have to imagine they’ll pull out most of the big guns for festival sets, especially the likes of R/L if they don’t want to totally bomb. 

27 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

From memory The 1975 put out the first song from their most recent album like the day before they headlined Reading, and it still went off. It’ll be fine. 

People, I believe? And wasn't Do I Wanna Know? pretty fresh pre-Glastonbury in 2013 too? Certainly, the first time I heard it was watching the live broadcast.

Edited by NorthernSoul52

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

People, I believe? And wasn't Do I Wanna Know? pretty fresh pre-Glastonbury in 2013 too? Certainly, the first time I heard it was watching the live broadcast.

Yup came out a week before I believe. I remember thinking they’d fucked it with that song commercially and that it wouldn’t go down very well. Clearly I’m absolutely shite at gaging what the general public enjoy. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yup came out a week before I believe. I remember thinking they’d fucked it with that song commercially and that it wouldn’t go down very well. Clearly I’m absolutely shite at gaging what the general public enjoy. 

You and me both, if I'm barking up the wrong tree with The 1975.

Do I Wanna Know? felt like a statement piece that night. It's telling my only other memory of their set on the telly is the brief snippet of Yellow Turner licked off as a spot of nonsense.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s arguably their best single tbf.

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

You and me both, if I'm barking up the wrong tree with The 1975.

Do I Wanna Know? felt like a statement piece that night. It's telling my only other memory of their set on the telly is the brief snippet of Yellow Turner licked off as a spot of nonsense.

I was talking about AM haha just didn’t think all the LADS would vibe with this bluesy, stoner rock number after the poor reception to Humbug, but how wrong I was and clearly time has shown it to be one of their most enduring songs. 

1 minute ago, august1 said:

will they ever move away from just playing 90 mins? Feels like they could easily do 2+ hours

They could, but that extra half hour would be filled with songs that they no longer want to play and damn will they let you know that they begrudge playing them. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Thought I might as well start this now as with them releasing a new album sometime later this year and a tour planned for next, they’re an obvious front runner for one of next year’s top spots.

We also now have this Twitter account claiming that they’re doing it. No idea if this account is known for its Glastonbury/festival info or if they’re just latching on to an obvious rumour, but thought it was worth bringing up. Also seem to have some knowledge of the upcoming album, but again, could just be throwing any old obvious shite out there and claiming to be an insider.

The Has it leaked guy is a notorious bullshitter. Everything he has said about the AM album has been wrong. He just makes stuff up.

I go on the AM forums and people actually in know the know are hinting at An October release and no lead single. First time you’ll hear new songs is in their first live date which i think is turkey.

22 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

That’s the one. Went down a storm with the critics and twitter the night it came out and the reaction at Reading backed that up. (If the rest of the album had been received even half as well, they’d be locked and loaded for the Pyramid by now.)

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I was talking about AM haha just didn’t think all the LADS would vibe with this bluesy, stoner rock number after the poor reception to Humbug, but how wrong I was and clearly time has shown it to be one of their most enduring songs. 

They could, but that extra half hour would be filled with songs that they no longer want to play and damn will they let you know that they begrudge playing them. 

I think a 105-minute-to-two-hour show is always grand - a love for Springsteen and marathon sets has left me spoiled.

But I'm coming around more to the sense that I'd rather see a blisteringly good eighty-five-to-ninety minute headline set at festivals. Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar's combined slots ran shorter than Paul McCartney, but neither necessarily suffered for that.

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

That’s the one. Went down a storm with the critics and twitter the night it came out and the reaction at Reading backed that up. If the rest of the album had been received even half as well, they’d be locked and loaded for the Pyramid by now. 

That televised set at Reading was a very timely reminder of their live power. It is interesting, because Me & You Together Song and If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) have left more lasting footprints.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The Has it leaked guy is a notorious bullshitter. Everything he has said about the AM album has been wrong. He just makes stuff up.

I go on the AM forums and people actually in know the know are hinting at An October release and no lead single. First time you’ll hear new songs is in their first live date which i think is turkey.

Yeah I’ve seen the October date mentioned a few times but wasn’t aware if there was any legitimacy to it. No lead single will be interesting again - can’t wait for all the lads to be raging on album day when it’s another loungey, psychy slowburner.