No Direction Home-10 years on

A bit of nostalgia. 10 years (ugh) since the ill-fated one and only edition.

I wonder now EOTR seems secure and a guaranteed sell out if they'd ever consider having another go at a second festival.

Anyone have fond memories? Dancing to Moon Duo in a near empty tent springs to mind ( and probably in hindsight explains the decision not to do a second).

I remember starting a thread about the fifth anniversary...

Yeah, there's nothing at all wrong with the idea of doing something with a similar booking policy up the country at the other end of summer and there was enough that I enjoyed, but it didn't sell well I think mostly for being overpriced - over £100 for a festival headlined by the Low Anthem and Andrew Bird - there wasn't enough to do especially if you didn't fancy who was on, the weather was often poor, the two main stages were in the same small area of a partially overgrown field that felt more like some gazebos in farmland, and the smaller stage by the lake was inaccessible and always seemed crowded. Not that it didn't have charms but with organisers with EOTR's cachet they really needed to make an impression from the start. 

Tillman had only just started using the FJM name but it's still a jolt to see how far down this list he is.

ndh.jpg

11 hours ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

A bit of nostalgia. 10 years (ugh) since the ill-fated one and only edition.

I wonder now EOTR seems secure and a guaranteed sell out if they'd ever consider having another go at a second festival.

Anyone have fond memories? Dancing to Moon Duo in a near empty tent springs to mind ( and probably in hindsight explains the decision not to do a second).

I remember trying to take photos of Moon Duo through the intense smoke with a terrible hangover.

They did a terrible job of promoting it really and it was somewhere which required a car to get to. I can't remember if they put buses on or not.

The tactic seemed to be largely to just flyer surrounding cities at a time when flyering was on the way out. Little press and online presence, from memory. 

The weather was so bad we ended up driving there and back every day. I remember the river stage flooding.

It's a shame really but it was probably in the wrong place. 

They put on buses as I was in one. Though noticeably it was not full. I have distant memories of the driver being bemused and possibly a little lost.

Interesting you both mention the weather. I remember it not being great but also not being a disaster.. Perhaps I had low expectations. Or drank a lot.

The Lake stage did feel lethal to get to. Looking back at the comedy tent-in retrospect, quite a lineup

Edit to say the 'visuals' and indeed mainly the smoke during that Moon Duo set were epic. They appeared designed for much bigger venues.

Edited by noisenoiseandmorenoise

• 3 weeks later...

Jeez ten years!

Also have memories of poor weather, but loved the site.

First time I ever saw David Thomas Broughton, he completely transfixed the crowd down at that little lakeside venue. And I still love Joe Gideon & the Shark.

It was nice, but not a patch on EOTR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...