Those people setting off flares are idiots and they should be banned

zahidf

came back to say that the flare gun in Bicep was awesome, someone did it in time with these lasers and at the same angle. impressive they knew exactly when to do it! i'd never seen one before was in awe for like a minute!

2 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

No one gets injured from them, they're pretty safe and look great imo.

They really added to the vibe at a lot of the sets.

first banning flags then smoke bombs, some real puritans on here!!

Seen some pretty bad burns from them over the years tbf, and alot of ruined clothes😆

They do add to the atmosphere though, just a time and a place for them, someone with half a brain can generally know when and when not to set one off without causing any harm.

See alot less of the parachute flares now, but think they are classed as a firearm now, so not too suprising

People can’t differentiate between smoke bombs and flares…. As often the former is tarred with the Flare name, so when people purchase them, they ask for “flares”, and they’re not really safe in my opinion.

Smoke Bombs, whilst inconvenient, at least don’t burn through clothing etc. 

Just don’t see the point in carrying them for 3 days to set off, just enjoy the festival without being an attention seeker.

16 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

No one gets injured from them, they're pretty safe and look great imo.

They really added to the vibe at a lot of the sets.

first banning flags then smoke bombs, some real puritans on here!!

Some lad on his mate's shoulder with one burnt me and another guy with his this year! Pretty sure I'll have a nice scar on my wrist, although weirdly I do kind of like them!

7 minutes ago, Bobs said:

People can’t differentiate between smoke bombs and flares…. As often the former is tarred with the Flare name, so when people purchase them, they ask for “flares”, and they’re not really safe in my opinion.

this is a great point

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Might be getting old but...

No flares, very few flags, no mobile phones and a shit load of atmosphere...

I think in an ideal world flags, phones, flares and chairs would be banned from all gigs. But I guess it's easier to ban phones at a 500 person gig in Frome than a 210,000 person festival. 

I'd love to see a festival ban phones, but they seem to prefer forcing you to take one to get in nowadays.

3 hours ago, waynewdk said:

It’s does add to the atmosphere, when Kasabian headlined it look great and was quite fitting for the Fire song, but I was close proximity and they do burn the head a bit, stink, and I can imagine can cause panic, I come from Bradford  and support Bradford City, odd times flared to go off, and it can cause distress to some people who were connected to the Bradford Fire, they are rightly banned, for good reason 

Having seen the TV coverage of that fire several times during fire marshall training, that would be blooming awful for anyone who saw that fire first hand. 

Flares have certainly had very serious consequences and this is from a few years ago and relates to football, where presumably a proportion of them at least landed on open space? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35402735

37 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

I think in an ideal world flags, phones, flares and chairs would be banned from all gigs. But I guess it's easier to ban phones at a 500 person gig in Frome than a 210,000 person festival. 

I'd love to see a festival ban phones, but they seem to prefer forcing you to take one to get in nowadays.

I'm 21 and cannot imagine not having a phone to find people. Lose your mates? head back to camp and wait till someone decides to come and pick you up - lost your mates? carry on or go back to camp and hope they decided the same. It would be great if someone could figure out a camera jammer though!

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I'm 21 and cannot imagine not having a phone to find people. Lose your mates? head back to camp and wait till someone decides to come and pick you up - lost your mates? carry on or go back to camp and hope they decided the same. It would be great if someone could figure out a camera jammer though!

You just talk to one of the other 100,000 people around and make new friends. Your mates don't give a fuck cos they know you're probably having the time of your life and then you catch up in the morning. They find other people to talk to and you'll have a chat about over your cornflakes?

Is this really so hard for anyone under 25 or so to understand.

Just now, willgooneday said:

You just talk to one of the other 100,000 people around and make new friends. Your mates don't give a fuck cos they know you're probably having the time of your life and then you catch up in the morning. They find other people to talk to and you'll have a chat about over your cornflakes?

Is this really so hard for anyone under 25 or so to understand.

I'm more than happy to do that, i'm the main person who does that kind of thing but its also nice if you want to see a specific act with someone to be able to find them, e.g. two of us have the same favourite act and wanted to see them together.

Its not that hard to understand, just i've grown up used to it. Would be like taking away our fresh n blacks!

57 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

There was/is a festival in the states that had made you be phone free and such. I have to look it up but it was more electronic/hippie leaning so there was likely more acceptance about it.

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

20 years ago it was tough just to even have mobile reception at large events so it was pointless to have a phone. Now with 5g you can be neck deep in a crowd at a large stage and facetime somebody. Dont know why nobody ever thinks of having a plan on meeting at the end of the night? Pick a spot everyone agrees with and a time to meet. If all else fails then meet back at camp later. On thursday I split from my gf to go see Four Tet and Sasha and had agreed on a time and place to meet up after that in the park.But if we couldnt find each other just go to the tent later on and that was that. We hadnt turned our phones on yet to save on the international fee for service. But suffice it to say, didnt find each other but it was fine at the tent a couple hours later. 🤷🏻‍♂️

go watch the woodstock 99 movie. How would you handle a concert apocalypse with almost no cell phones cause they werent widely spread yet or affordable.

Edited by Suprefan

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Should of grown up in the 80s...  Nothing better than walking a mile to your mates house to find out they where already out 🙂 

I'd love to do the festival no phones ... reckon its probably one of the biggest things thats killed off atmosphere for some since the early 00s. setup the signal jammers i say!

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Dont know why nobody ever thinks of having a plan on meeting at the end of the night? Pick a spot everyone agrees with and a time to meet. If all else fails then meet back at camp later. On thursday I split from my gf to go see Four Tet and Sasha and had agreed on a time and place to meet up after that in the park.But if we couldnt find each other just go to the tent later on and that was that. We hadnt turned our phones on yet to save on the international fee for service. But suffice it to say, didnt find each other but it was fine at the tent a couple hours later. 🤷🏻‍♂️

With so much on its nice to be fluid and find people as you go rather than picking a spot and potentially having to wait there for ages potentially. Good data enables that

19 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well its easily solved - turn the fucking thing off 😛 

Thanks to kids i've not been to Glasto in person since 2009 and back then phone wouldn't last more than a day and no chance of recharging really so no phone.  Most of Friday and some of Sunday I was on my own after losing my wife and everyone else.

Shared some weed with some guy up at Stone Circle and then basically got shit faced and met so many new people.  Best times 🙂 

I've seen a different side of you after catching up on the BBC thread from last weekend but I still need to ask... do you think you lost them or did they lose you?

4 hours ago, willgooneday said:

Don't know about Glasto but it was an instant ejection at a lot of festivals, it's a breach of terms and conditions. Some others they'd search you and make sure you didn't have any more on you.

This comes back to Glasto's non-arena policy - do you really want arena level searches from other festivals on the way through the perimeter fence? Because that's what those asking for flares to be banned will get. 

We managed to stop people letting off those Chinese lantern things by just asking.

8 hours ago, gfa said:

With so much on its nice to be fluid and find people as you go rather than picking a spot and potentially having to wait there for ages potentially. Good data enables that

Nah, us americans are pretty punctual. We had spreadsheets for what we were doing each day. Who needs impulsiveness!?!

FEBB4418-E2D1-4834-8AB9-6FE33F0D3A89.jpeg