Those people setting off flares are idiots and they should be banned

zahidf

Just now, zahidf said:

Oh could have fooled me given the amount going off this year! Maybe some form of onstage announcements would be useful

Drugs are also ‘banned’, doesn’t seem to stop people taking them though. Might be a few people on here upset with increased searches for flares uncovering other items.

Just now, zahidf said:

Oh could have fooled me given the amount going off this year! Maybe some form of onstage announcements would be useful

im not in disagreement .... to find them though it might either mean more extensive searches though ( which some might not appreciate ) .... or some kind of campaign to stop them ..... I noticed some vigorous removal of them during pet shop boys when pit security dived into the crowd to wrestle them off people on a couple of occasions 

Do flares and smoke bombs come under the same category? Flares are definitely outright dangerous as they are basically a highly volatile candle. 

Smoke bombs although containing a small incendiary element are safer but still have a potential for harm. 

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Do flares and smoke bombs come under the same category? Flares are definitely outright dangerous as they are basically a highly volatile candle. 

Smoke bombs although containing a small incendiary element are safer but still have a potential for harm. 

Came on to ask the exact same question. Its shifted pretty significantly from the actual flames to the smoke bombs since the reopening last year. 

It’s the actual marine distress flares that scare me; burning white hot feet away from everyone. At KL in the pit there was one of these right near a young family. The smoke flares don’t really worry me other than breathing it in. 

57 minutes ago, dougal1 said:

I saw security pulling people out of the crowd after setting them off and was wondering what happens afterwards... Do they get a warning? Kicked out of the festival? 

Don't know about Glasto but it was an instant ejection at a lot of festivals, it's a breach of terms and conditions. Some others they'd search you and make sure you didn't have any more on you.

This comes back to Glasto's non-arena policy - do you really want arena level searches from other festivals on the way through the perimeter fence? Because that's what those asking for flares to be banned will get. 

Edited by willgooneday

It’s does add to the atmosphere, when Kasabian headlined it look great and was quite fitting for the Fire song, but I was close proximity and they do burn the head a bit, stink, and I can imagine can cause panic, I come from Bradford  and support Bradford City, odd times flared to go off, and it can cause distress to some people who were connected to the Bradford Fire, they are rightly banned, for good reason 

Edited by waynewdk

18 minutes ago, SighMo said:

It’s the actual marine distress flares that scare me; burning white hot feet away from everyone. At KL in the pit there was one of these right near a young family. The smoke flares don’t really worry me other than breathing it in. 

Rainbow snot. I much prefer the smoke ones after years of the flaming ones at the low-brow gigs I enjoy 

57 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

They certainly can be dangerous, but I’d say there’s far more risk from campfires around tents, and many years ago almost every tent seemed to have its own fire. Don’t think that many people burnt.

No one has ever found themselves in the middle of a crowd involuntarily under a campfire 

1 hour ago, PassingCloud said:

They certainly can be dangerous, but I’d say there’s far more risk from campfires around tents, and many years ago almost every tent seemed to have its own fire. Don’t think that many people burnt.

4 minutes ago, mph said:

No one has ever found themselves in the middle of a crowd involuntarily under a campfire 

basically what i was about to type. its one thing at your own campsite but when some drunk person is swaying about on someone's shoulders you can see where it becomes dangerous. smoke bombs thumbs up from me, flares generally thumbs up except when holder is an idiot. (they do look cool as fuck)