While it’s still fresh in your heads

waynewdk

While it’s still fresh in everyone’s mind, What was gate A v D this year, for example, I couldn’t get a great reception but it sounded like gate A at 3am wasn’t a big queue compared to gate D, I went to gate D and it was big compared to previous years at that time, I normally camp in Park Home, am i correct in thinking, if I went to Gate A and travelled across inside the festival would i have gained an advantage, or not, e.g more camping choices, I think it took us about 1.5-2 hours to get in once gates opened, we got a good spot in Park home, but if there was more of us maybe not so lucky, I thought i heard a steward also say we are waiting for Eavis to open gate A too

When talking PGA, it’s important to distinguish the driver’s side from the shuttle/coach side. Two different queues which can differ wildly in terms of waiting time. 

PGA is always first to open, and Michael has made a short welcome speech there for the last couple of festivals. This year the other gates opened as soon as A did but last time A was open a good half hour before the others. 

Getting a shuttle/coach and arriving early (pre-5am) is the quickest way onto the site.

1 hour ago, waynewdk said:

While it’s still fresh in everyone’s mind, What was gate A v D this year, for example, I couldn’t get a great reception but it sounded like gate A at 3am wasn’t a big queue compared to gate D, I went to gate D and it was big compared to previous years at that time, I normally camp in Park Home, am i correct in thinking, if I went to Gate A and travelled across inside the festival would i have gained an advantage, or not, e.g more camping choices, I think it took us about 1.5-2 hours to get in once gates opened, we got a good spot in Park home, but if there was more of us maybe not so lucky, I thought i heard a steward also say we are waiting for Eavis to open gate A too

Arrived at 5 am, they had blocked off the field to get into to the gate D queue and was sent to A, arrived into the snake about 4 rows from the back, when everyone stood up i moved down 4 rows. Gates opened at 8 am and we was in for 8:45, we was past gate D by 9:15.

This was arriving by car.

Gate A can fuck itself, alongside the steward who excitedly advised me to leave the queue for D to go to A ("it's much shorter and quicker!"). My mates who were behind me in D got inside and pitched up 2.5 hours sooner than me. Fucking shambles. I won't make the mistake again.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

When talking PGA, it’s important to distinguish the driver’s side from the shuttle/coach side. Two different queues which can differ wildly in terms of waiting time. 

PGA is always first to open, and Michael has made a short welcome speech there for the last couple of festivals. This year the other gates opened as soon as A did but last time A was open a good half hour before the others. 

Getting a shuttle/coach and arriving early (pre-5am) is the quickest way onto the site.

Yeah we arrived on the Gate A shuttle/coach side at about 7 by the time they'd unloaded the shuttle bus. We got into the festival at about 9-9.15 if I remember rightly, once they stopped checking what seemed like everyone in that security tent. We were fully set up in Paines and in the breakfast van queue at 10.30 anyway according to a message to my Dad so my timings are roughly right.

Just to say the train strike probably benefitted us on this - I'd guess it'd all have been busier if there had been trains at the time we did the Castle Cary shuttle

Edited by efcfanwirral

In 19 and 22 we headed to Gate D around 4 am. 19 there was stewards making sure we were packed in and we were inside the zig zags, this year there was stewards but no attempts to condense the crowd so we were down the hill, at 8 am they decided to pack everyone in before the gates opened and we were pretty much in the same spot inside the zig zags as last time.

Its impossible to gauge the density/length of the queue

Thanks everyone, so by what it sound like I would have got in earlier from A and past D before I got in this year, if you look at the image I posted this is the Queue run, and the red X is where I joined the Queue at 3am, the thing that baffled me, was if you follow the queue backwards to the back of the queue, it rubs shoulders within the blue circle that I’ve made, so people arriving after us, rubbed shoulders with people in front of us, at the crossing point between the two fields, late comers then went into that other field, when she eventually moved up the crossing point had 2 lines going into one, so people who arrived a hour or 2 after us actually got in before us, by blending into the line, half way up,

4B3ABCA1-719D-4BA1-A60A-3F2BDC8CFFBE.jpeg

On 7/1/2022 at 8:42 PM, waynewdk said:

Thanks everyone, so by what it sound like I would have got in earlier from A and past D before I got in this year, if you look at the image I posted this is the Queue run, and the red X is where I joined the Queue at 3am, the thing that baffled me, was if you follow the queue backwards to the back of the queue, it rubs shoulders within the blue circle that I’ve made, so people arriving after us, rubbed shoulders with people in front of us, at the crossing point between the two fields, late comers then went into that other field, when she eventually moved up the crossing point had 2 lines going into one, so people who arrived a hour or 2 after us actually got in before us, by blending into the line, half way up,

4B3ABCA1-719D-4BA1-A60A-3F2BDC8CFFBE.jpeg

For various reasons we arrived late and joined the back of that queue at 8am. It was actually all the way back along that hedge line and going down into the next field. By the time we'd joined they'd closed that cross over point with security and it went all the way back down then back up. 

I've added in red where we queued, it's actually off your map.

The stewards told us five hours, which I knew was horseshit (they were telling people you had to rejoin the queue to re-enter) and we actually got in about 10:40. I was posting real time updates in the queue thread 🤣

So 2hr 40 for what I reckon was peak arrival time at Gate D.

sketch-1656877616926.png

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Thanks 1