Spider / crane debate ..... Arcadia the future ?

Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Arcadia was great in the SE corner, the issue was that everyone went in that direction as there wasn’t anything elsewhere on site. 

Silver Hayes could be an interesting spot though. Takes the crowds in the opposite direction to the SE corner and has nice wide access routes from the main stages. 

Not going to happen I’m afraid with that area under new organisers … the arcadia team are a completely separate thing …. I’d imagine team love have been given a period of time to improve the silver Hayes area … however desolate silver Hayes might seem it probably takes at least 2/3000 minimum away from SEC and Pangea so acts as a splitter of sorts anyway 

Arcadia would be awesome if it still focused on whats in that 2011 movie but now it tries to do too much because there is nowhere else they can stick the huge name DJs ala calvin, chems etc safely late night. Silver Hayes needs to get a stage big enough to host these acts, thats the only way the issues currently facing Arcadia and the SE corner can be solved. Stick big acts on it still sure, but calvin just didn't work at all. Then the issue loops back in that he probably only wanted to play Arcadia as its a cool stage 😂

2 hours ago, Talcroft said:

I remember that from 2010. I missed 11 and 13 then it had moved when I got back in 2014.

Was that the year of the human pin ball machine or was that 2009? 2010 was the year of projections in Shangri-la - that was top notch.

2013 it was by where the glade usually is, on the other stage side. Really wasn’t a good idea, not surprised it only lasted 1 year. 

36 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not going to happen I’m afraid with that area under new organisers … the arcadia team are a completely separate thing …. I’d imagine team love have been given a period of time to improve the silver Hayes area … however desolate silver Hayes might seem it probably takes at least 2/3000 minimum away from SEC and Pangea so acts as a splitter of sorts anyway 

Ahh that's interesting. Who's running Silver Hayes now then? 

5 hours ago, Talcroft said:

I remember that from 2010. I missed 11 and 13 then it had moved when I got back in 2014.

Was that the year of the human pin ball machine or was that 2009? 2010 was the year of projections in Shangri-la - that was top notch.

Moved to the corner of the Other Stage field next to The Glade in 2013 then to its current location in 2014.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:51 AM, Quark said:

Joking aside, my gut feel on the speaker set up (someone more involved with the fest may be able to comment) is that it's linked to the noise restrictions on the site at night.  Would outward-facing speakers (particularly at the volume needed) put them at risk of breaching the agreed sound levels for post-headliner entertainment?

This was our thinking too.  We were at four tet for the hour before Calvin Harris came on and the sound was great - we were standing by the pizza place outside of the speakers and having to shout to hear each other. Then at 1am when Calvin came on it was like a switch was flicked and the sound was instantly really quiet - even after we moved in more we were struggling to tell which song was playing at times. So we guessed it was either a technical issue that only kicked in at 1am or a noise restriction maybe. 

Honestly, I couldn't care less, really disappointed by Arcadia, it was one of the things I was looking forward to the most, and had been for years and years. But it was rubbish. The sound was horrendous, really bad to the extent that I genuinely couldn't bare to stay long. 

Next year I'll spend more time in the SE corner and up on the hill. 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, gordong said:

I thought the spider was cool, but it felt tiny - especially in the daylight. I rewatched videos of Pangea in 2019 and it was so much bigger in scale. 

The field before pangea was bigger. They made it smaller this year.

And it used to have 2 bars, one was small, this year both sides were massive bars.

12 hours ago, Summertime said:

This was our thinking too.  We were at four tet for the hour before Calvin Harris came on and the sound was great - we were standing by the pizza place outside of the speakers and having to shout to hear each other. Then at 1am when Calvin came on it was like a switch was flicked and the sound was instantly really quiet - even after we moved in more we were struggling to tell which song was playing at times. So we guessed it was either a technical issue that only kicked in at 1am or a noise restriction maybe. 

Yeah that always had the ring, but the field was smaller this year. So the speakers moved in.

Ive been there 19, 17, 16 and that space was definitely reduced this year.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Is it ever at capacity after hours? 

Do you happen to know the capacity of the SE Corner in total?

Don’t know to each sorry. I only know the Arcadia total as we were told at a team briefing before doing the medical cover there whilst they were testing the equipment etc

1 hour ago, westholtschic said:

Don’t know to each sorry. I only know the Arcadia total as we were told at a team briefing before doing the medical cover there whilst they were testing the equipment etc

Just wondered because the surface area for fest-goers at Arcadia looks almost as big as Block 9 and the Common put together, so if they were both maxxed out, that'd be like 80k. Then Shangri La and Unfair Ground look smaller by half, so say, 20k max.

That's only 100k of the people at Glastonbury. Another 20k at the Park in all the bars... 30k moving around/at other bars/having an early night...

I'm just trying to picture how easily one area could get overly busy if say Arcadia and the Park under-performed and all the extra people went to the SECor. It's quite a fine balancing act they have on their hands!

8 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Just wondered because the surface area for fest-goers at Arcadia looks almost as big as Block 9 and the Common put together, so if they were both maxxed out, that'd be like 80k. Then Shangri La and Unfair Ground look smaller by half, so say, 20k max.

That's only 100k of the people at Glastonbury. Another 20k at the Park in all the bars... 30k moving around/at other bars/having an early night...

I'm just trying to picture how easily one area could get overly busy if say Arcadia and the Park under-performed and all the extra people went to the SECor. It's quite a fine balancing act they have on their hands!

about 20 people at silver hayes too 😉 

Seriously though, there would be a decent crowd chilling at campsites, san remo, SH, random fields and bars near WH like latino, WG etc plus the cinema too.

10 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Slightly off topic - been to a few of the other backstage bars before, but I was seriously impressed by the Tow & Hitch. May even be the best bar on site.  

Could quite happily sit in there all weekend haha

On 7/1/2022 at 1:45 PM, Talcroft said:

Ahhh the afterburner. Halcyon days. 

Clearly this year it was a last minute thing after the Pangea decision. I can imagine as a first timer how it would still seem incredible. It was a shame about Pangea. I didn't get to see it live (only at Worthy Pastures) and I'd have liked to see where they took it. 

It's hard to see where Arcadia the brand goes from here without another move (like when it moved out of SE corner). Silver Hayes after hours didn't have the same magic without the Blues... Could you replace Lonely Hearts and one of Sonic/Wow with it? Except obviously you lose the daytime acts that they have. It would help split crowds away from SE Corner though. 

Also - had Cineramageddon moved out this year? I was staff camping for the first time and lost my bearings on that side a bit but we usually camp there as a punters and I thought it seemed further from the action. 

Are you kidding me! Lonely Hearts was awesome and the larger Sonic was brilliant and allowed for some bigger names to play, the lighting in Wow was great. Silver Hayes stepped up massively this year and you want to bin it all off! 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Are you kidding me! Lonely Hearts was awesome and the larger Sonic was brilliant and allowed for some bigger names to play, the lighting in Wow was great. Silver Hayes stepped up massively this year and you want to bin it all off! 

Horses for courses...I found it dull and lacking in imagination, particularly compared to the rest of the site. The sound at LHC was terrible, for me it had absolutely nothing on the Blues.