Do they take on board feedback?

sfroml

Hey. 

I was wondering, do any the organisers of Glastonbury ever take on board any of the constructive criticism regarding the event? I've seen so many comments about what did/didn't work well over the recent weekend  and it sounds like a lot of suggestions would potentially make it safer, more enjoyable etc. 

I'm not sure if Emily et al have a person they link in with through efestivals or if they lurk in the background post event etc?

I'm assuming (rightly or wrongly) that the best of source of advice would be form those who've experienced the event first hand.

I have to say I don't know of any organisation that tries so hard to improve year on year as Glastonbury. Every year they will get something wrong but it's rare that they keep getting the same thing wrong. 

There are some things though that they can't do anything about and we as punters have to accept some accountability ourselves and that is they cannot make every stage have a huge capacity. If an act with a big following is on a smaller stage then you either have to get there early to get a good spot or accept that you should just swerve it and avoid the crowds. The same with Thursday night. Frankly if they receive too many complaints about it the easiest thing to do is just stop having anything on Thursday at all. 

The same with after hours stuff everyone flocks to SEC even though there is stuff all over the site. I'm not sure what they can do about it other than deliberately make SEC shit so people stop going. 

I found with Glastonbury that they listen but changes tend to take place over a few festivals. Arcadia has caused them headaches for years. So that will be tweaked again next year. 

queuing at the gates took them 6-7 years to get the top bit right. 

58 minutes ago, sfroml said:

I'm not sure if Emily et al have a person they link in with through efestivals or if they lurk in the background post event etc?

robert richards who sadly passed away recently used to keep an eye on stuff here for anything useful. now that hes gone i'm not sure if anyone else it taking much notice, i do know that emily does sometimes read her, perhaps not at the moment tho, as i'd guess she's busy.
there's other glasto bods that read here too.

if you want to you could try writing a letter to them, as i know they're always keen to make improvements.

58 minutes ago, sfroml said:

I'm assuming (rightly or wrongly) that the best of source of advice would be form those who've experienced the event first hand.

There will have been local council and others there inspecting and reviewing the event for compliance and H&S issues. I am sure people will email Glastonbury Festival if they have particular concerns or suggestions for improvements. Hopefully with a whole year now to work on 2023 they will be able to do more preparations. Don’t forget they only confirmed 2022 at end January so they probably had less time to pull it all off than usual?? 

17 minutes ago, sedra said:

There will have been local council and others there inspecting and reviewing the event for compliance and H&S issues. I am sure people will email Glastonbury Festival if they have particular concerns or suggestions for improvements. Hopefully with a whole year now to work on 2023 they will be able to do more preparations. Don’t forget they only confirmed 2022 at end January so they probably had less time to pull it all off than usual?? 

Yes, totally get the very short timescale they had to get everything up and running. And I didn't go this year so am only going by what I have read on the forums etc. Just picked up on a few things people had commented on etc, got the impression that the fine weather (as expected) would have been a factor into how busy certain parts of the site would have been etc. Guessing that each year there will always be issues of some sort that need addressing.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dear Emily

It was very busy at Wet Leg and so when I arrived 5 minutes before showtime I had to stand at the back. 

What steps are being taken to address this for next year?

Yours, etc etc

Dear concerned attendee,

Get there sooner.

Regards,

Management 

Do I think glasto takes feedback seriously? Sure. Will they make a change at the drop of a hat? Hell no. It took them til Sunday afternoon to try and crowd control the Park crowding up for example. Thats respectable but that shouldve changed Thursday after how it was Weds. And would the festival actually execute a smart idea that would save lots of  headaches? Absolutely not. They have to sort the box office situation in years to come thats for sure. Lots of confusion and miscommunication for ticket holders, WV, Sticklinch, parking and the like. You had 3 years, no excuses cause you got less than 1 now.

17 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Emily already admitted to making a mistake with Wet Leg- she said it on the BBC coverage (and she said it like 101 people and their dog had mentioned it to her)

Yep I think some people forget how far in advance some of the line up decisions have to be made and it's not like they can go to an Other Stage act and say to be honest you're a bit shit and won't draw as much of a crowd would you mind swapping. 

27 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Emily already admitted to making a mistake with Wet Leg- she said it on the BBC coverage (and she said it like 101 people and their dog had mentioned it to her)

Do you have a link (and timestamp) for those of us just emerging from our post-festival slumbers?

• Upvote 1

I personally dislike it when big acts play small stages - whether that's a 'secret' slot or a McFly on the Avalon or Calvin Harris on Arcadia type situation. But I'm not sure I'd bother writing to complain as I'm sure the festival see it as a way of encouraging people to travel round the site rather than camping out at the Pyramid stage all day. 

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Park has - with crowd management like closing the bottom gates to direct people up the hill - accommodated the likes of Foals, Pulp, Radiohead, etc - did Leg and the lads really draw more people?

This was my view for Wet Leg. I am a short woman and had infinitely more space here than I did for Phoebe Bridgers later in the day. I did choose to watch Orlando Weeks to get that spot but these are the choices you make if you want a good spot for a popular act. If I was pushier I probably could have gotten further forward as well but I had a bit of space to dance which was more important to me. 

0AE88425-057C-4B72-A9DC-E075BD4C533D.jpeg

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sure it was busy - but I dont see how it was busy enough to mandate a letter to the Mendips Council as someone mentioned in one of the other threads.

Yep completely agree. I listened to the Thom Yorke/ Johnny Greenwood secret set from right behind the sound desk and couldn't see a thing in 2010 and that was my fault I didn't turn up early enough to get a better spot.