If unsuccessful - where do you go?

AngryLama

21 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Successful, but catching up for lost time, we’re regulars at Bearded Theory and this year for the first time WOMAD.

I was wondering if after Glastonbury I’d have had enough, but it’s got me more excited for WOMAD in just a few weeks,

Womad is a lovely gentle festival, very unlike the Glastonbury beast, approach with an open musical mind and you'll have a great time. 

9 hours ago, Space Shanty said:

These would be my 2 alternatives without going as far as Europe. 

Sziget could be a good option. Budapest is a great city and the lineup can be decent. We went in 2013.

You also have the likes of Mad Cool, which tends to get decent lineups, Primavera and Pukkelpop.

I was in Budapest in 2019 when the festival was on. It’s a good job that one isn’t camping 🔥

34 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I was in Budapest in 2019 when the festival was on. It’s a good job that one isn’t camping 🔥

It is if you want to, much better experience staying on the island.

Best advice is get in early and find a camping spot near the beach on the north of the island. Fresh and Black tent is essential though. 

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Slightly OT - looking at maybe giving Beautiful Days a go next month as it's not sold out.  Recommended?

I'm going again, this is number 3. I really like it, it's a lot smaller than Glastonbury and more chilled. You can walk from one side to the other in about 15 mins I reckon.

Think a mixture of Avalon and Park / Holts and you're about there.

There's not much in the way of late night stuff so don't go expecting SE Corner shenanigans. Theres a few others going I think, head over to the BDs board.

And you'll have to watch Levellers on Sunday night! 

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Slightly OT - looking at maybe giving Beautiful Days a go next month as it's not sold out.  Recommended?

Ok if you're a Levellers groupie and not into late night stuff. We found it a bit meh. It had all the requisite bits of a festival but no soul. 

I missed out in 2019 for this year so grabbed Green Man and EOTR tickets at the end of last year. It’s been hellish these last few weeks leading up to, and during Glastonbury, but it’s quite nice to know my festival fix is still to come later in the summer.

The only problem with GM and EOTR is that they are both within 2 weeks of each other and at the end of the summer. I did Bearded Theory a few years back and thoroughly recommend to anyone looking to find the Glasto spirit, a really nice vibe and early in the summer. Always wish I had done Boomtown and hope to make it there someday. 

37 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Ok if you're a Levellers groupie and not into late night stuff. We found it a bit meh. It had all the requisite bits of a festival but no soul. 

I remember you saying you found it too clean and tidy. Wouldn't say it had no soul, but it's certainly very...nice.

But then I quite like that at the tail end of summer.

I do think it's time they changed the Sunday night approach, and that's coming from a Levs fan. Let them have the main stage if they want, but give us an alternative.

6 hours ago, Neil said:

i'd avoid that one, you'd struggle to find an aspect of any festival as horrid as an ibiza bar.

A resort away from the madness and go to the nicer parts of the island (It's beautiful) and take in a Cafe Del Mar sunset and maybe one night at a club. But yeah I will be swerving the boozed up Brits abroad !! 

2019 we had two groups of 6 miss out on T-Day…getting together is a big part of Glasto for us, so we took the decision to put the 6 tickets we had back in the pot (too many to sort in the resales). We all went to All Together Now instead. Despite awful traffic management and a wasp nest being disturbed during the build (hence the feckers were everywhere), we’re all heading back this year (match fit now after last week and ready for a second tour of duty!)…Has a load of bands I was hoping for at Glasto (Nick Cave, King Gizzard, Jungle, Groove Armada live, Underworld, CMAT, floating points and loads more). Also run by the original creators of Electric Picnic, so has that mini Glasto vibe (and in a gorgeous setting). Highly recommended (well, if they don’t sort out the traffic management, I’ll stop recommending it!)…

5 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

For my taste - Bearded Theory is damn near the same festival, but in a few key ways better.

The main differences being that Bearded has a more to do on the Thursday, has a much flatter / easier to navigate site, has better & cheaper alcohol options, and doesn't shut the rest of the festival down when the Sunday Headliner is on (which of course is much less likely to be The Levellers).

I guess it depends on distance and your view of the lineup - if both work for you, then it's a perfectly decent festival on a beautiful site (the attractiveness of the site is one aspect it does have over Bearded) - just be aware that Thursday is dead and it's very hilly including most of the public campsites. Personally it's a bit of a trek for me and I can't imagine making it again unless they put together an all time great lineup.

15 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Never even heard of this but had a look and the line up is immense. Is it always this high quality?

Usually! They tend to hoover up most of the top acts that are touring that summer. One of the benefits you get is acts like Sam Fender are less popular over there and are placed much lower than you’d expect, so the lineup feels much more stacked from our POV. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:17 PM, LoraMaze said:

Well my husband and I are really hoping to go to Vegas for the F1 GP, AND get re-married by Elvis while we’re out there etc. We’re likely to only go their once in our life time, so may as well be next year…can’t do that and Glastonbury realistically, so we won’t be trying for tickets. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jun/02/las-vegas-chapels-stop-using-elvis-weddings

10 hours ago, faymondo said:

A resort away from the madness and go to the nicer parts of the island (It's beautiful) and take in a Cafe Del Mar sunset and maybe one night at a club. But yeah I will be swerving the boozed up Brits abroad !! 

If you want to get a sense of the original Cafe Del Mar vibe check out Kumharas on the opposite side of the bay. Feels like how Cafe Del Mar used to be before it went super commercial. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If you want to get a sense of the original Cafe Del Mar vibe check out Kumharas on the opposite side of the bay. Feels like how Cafe Del Mar used to be before it went super commercial. 

Mrs Q wants to do Ibiza next year but the more laid back old town version. Will be looking for tips so this sounds like a decent start!

16 hours ago, Quark said:

Womad is one on my list to give a go one year. 

If I get the annual leave sorted I'll be doing Womad this year. 

Re the original question, one of the joys of having Oxfam priority (and why I'll never give it up) is that this isn't a problem for me. 

I’d say

if you like the main stages at Glastonbury go for Latitude. It is also a large site with plenty to explore. I didn’t really take to it but that’s me.

if you like Park/Acoustic/Avalon - Go for Beautiful Days or Bearded Theory. Both great for older Glastonbury goers especially. Lovely crowd.

South East Corner - Boomtown. Young, bonkers, incredible production.

Whole thing - Sziget - does the offbeat little political/ cultural things, lots of different types of stages. Plenty to explore. The main line up is very pop/edm oriented, but there are other stages with bands you have never heard of and what could be more Glastonbury than to end up in a crowd singing along with a Spanish Pogues, or a Russian Goldie Looking Chain, or some Gypsy punk, with a crowd that is from all over the world? 
As a bonus - the weather is almost always brilliant, it even has a little beach, Budapest is beautiful, and it’s cheap due to the exchange rate - about £2/pint & about £200 for an apartment in the city (you can also camp - but it is hot!).