If unsuccessful - where do you go?

AngryLama

2 hours ago, mjfiddy said:

Into a pit of depression.

thats precisely what i did in 2018, when i struck out for 2019 tickets: sunk into a pit of morbid misery for a few days.

Then i decided it wasnt happening without me, and got busy with the volunteering - and now ive been via oxfam the last two fests, and as long as i do one other event, im guaranteed to be there. Sweet! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Exactly this. Sziget is my go to for years I miss Glasto depending on the line up. I’m also considering the summer solstice festival in Iceland as well. A few days of partying where the sun doesn’t go down. 

I actually think this would send me insane.

40 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'd probably put the money towards another holiday at another time of year and watch it at home. 

This I think. Never tried EOTR or Beautiful Days though so would be tempted. I’m still undecided on 2023 anyway so considering other options.

I did Boomtown instead in 2019, it was brilliant, like Glastonbury but more compact and with less shite indie bands. More of a SE corner feel to it. I had a lot more fun there than any recent Glastonbury, until this years. 
Boomtown 2022 sounds very different though, I hope I don’t have a different opinion after. 

15 hours ago, AngryLama said:

Ok so, we all know the trials and tribulations of ticket day.. we can’t all get lucky. So where do you go or plan to go if it doesn’t fall your way on the day?

our group are discussing Beat Herder, Nozstock and Shambala. 

bunk it 🤣

Mad Cool all day long. Lineup is usually ridiculously stacked and the whole organisation/logistics are very smooth and easy. Very different experience to Glastonbury and you have to be at peace with that, but it’s a fantastic event to see a shit load of really top bands. Plus, a four day ticket is about half the price of Glastonbury, so once you’ve factored in travel and accommodation it really doesn’t feel like THAT much more money, and being able to head in to Madrid is obviously a massive bonus.

18 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

An interesting shout, because I'm not that well-versed on their festival scene - but has anyone ever been to one down under?

Kind of - i went to the Big Day Out in Melbourne in 2004 (where i saw the Flaming Lips for the first time, seen em 11 times since then) but thats a Lollapalooza style touring one day festival - no camping etc. It was 35 degrees and people were dropping like flies, not just the europeans among us! My primary memories were of separate alcohol areas, and of it being really really fuckin hot . . . very eclectic lineup, from Black eyed peas to Fear factory - not just on the same bill, but next to each other on the lineup 😆

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Kind of - i went to the Big Day Out in Melbourne in 2004 (where i saw the Flaming Lips for the first time, seen em 11 times since then) but thats a Lollapalooza style touring one day festival - no camping etc. It was 35 degrees and people were dropping like flies, not just the europeans among us! My primary memories were of separate alcohol areas, and of it being really really fuckin hot . . . very eclectic lineup, from Black eyed peas to Fear factory - not just on the same bill, but next to each other on the lineup 😆

Ooof! 

10 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Ibiza with the missus and avoid all knowledge of the festival. 

i'd avoid that one, you'd struggle to find an aspect of any festival as horrid as an ibiza bar.

32 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

An interesting shout, because I'm not that well-versed on their festival scene - but has anyone ever been to one down under?

The smaller Aussie festivals of around 15k capacity are awesome, you can bring your booze in (no arenas as per glasto), drive into the campsites and set up right next to your car (no lugging stuff around, leading to insane levels of fully furnished camps featuring sofas, cocktail bars etc, you can stumble into great parties) Happy to give recommendations/answer questions if anyone is interested! 

The larger ones that attract international acts aren't worth it IMHO, very expensive/corporate and don't match up to European standards.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Mad Cool all day long. Lineup is usually ridiculously stacked and the whole organisation/logistics are very smooth and easy. Very different experience to Glastonbury and you have to be at peace with that, but it’s a fantastic event to see a shit load of really top bands. Plus, a four day ticket is about half the price of Glastonbury, so once you’ve factored in travel and accommodation it really doesn’t feel like THAT much more money, and being able to head in to Madrid is obviously a massive bonus.

Never even heard of this but had a look and the line up is immense. Is it always this high quality?

14 minutes ago, dougal1 said:

The smaller Aussie festivals of around 15k capacity are awesome, you can bring your booze in (no arenas as per glasto), drive into the campsites and set up right next to your car (no lugging stuff around, leading to insane levels of fully furnished camps featuring sofas, cocktail bars etc, you can stumble into great parties) Happy to give recommendations/answer questions if anyone is interested! 

The larger ones that attract international acts aren't worth it IMHO, very expensive/corporate and don't match up to European standards.

Thank you! Will be moving over there in the spring/AU autumn. Set to miss Splendour as I will be briefly back in Britain then, but otherwise hoping to get my music fix out there.