what3words accuracy

moonhunter

Thumbs up review from our group.  There were a couple of sceptics at the start but all converts by the end.  Definitely helped to hit the location button a couple of times so it could settle.  As soon as you were getting the same result each time was when to send it.   Someone above said it needed internet... it doesn't. It calculates the words offline mathematically.  You do need to be able to send the words via some method be it SMS or WhatsApp though so can't do anything about that.

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I couldn't get a phone signal so anything phone related was a no go for me. I'm on 3. I have always been on EE before. Is it always this bad for other networks or was it just this year?

I'm on VF and they definitely don't share. EE's publicity for the last two festivals was about their fab 5G network and mine showed just 4G and with the most saturated network. 

26 minutes ago, dulcificum said:

It works absolutely perfectly. Use it all the time in the field and at festivals.

Check your phone's GPS debugging if you have issues.

If someone had an issue it's more likely to be with lack of connectivity to the data network, as so many struggled with that

11 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

I've noticed when testing it at home that it circles around a bit before settling on one location. Definitely more use when looking for larger objects like campervans, or one person in an empty landscape!

It needs to lock onto as many GPS/Galileo satellites as it can see (via line of sight to the sky) in order to get full accuracy - so that's why it can take 30 seconds, sometimes longer, to settle down and be trustworthy. Unfortunately the phone can't pre-emptively keep track of the location to that degree of accuracy, as it'd kill your battery.

My signal on 3 was terrible, had a nightmare trying to find my friends car as I just couldn't get any signal & W3W was saying I was about two towns across 😂. Luckily I had the dot on the map, so then cross referenced the map with a stewards map of the car park & managed to find it.

EE have to sort something out though, it's directly affecting many traders, on Sunday about 1/4 of food stalls I walked past had set up "Cash Only" signs. 

Considering getting two a pay as you go from EE if we go again. 

1 minute ago, Acid Loafers said:

My signal on 3 was terrible, had a nightmare trying to find my friends car as I just couldn't get any signal & W3W was saying I was about two towns across 😂. Luckily I had the dot on the map, so then cross referenced the map with a stewards map of the car park & managed to find it.

EE have to sort something out though, it's directly affecting many traders, on Sunday about 1/4 of food stalls I walked past had set up "Cash Only" signs. 

Considering getting two a pay as you go from EE if we go again. 

EE don't have to sort anything out.  Their network is brilliant at the festival site and thats the point.  They want people to get PAYG sims for the weekend or permanently move to their service.

I have dual sim slots in my phone and stick an EE sim in for the weekend.  Its night and day different to any other network on site.

8 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

EE don't have to sort anything out.  Their network is brilliant at the festival site and thats the point.  They want people to get PAYG sims for the weekend or permanently move to their service.

I have dual sim slots in my phone and stick an EE sim in for the weekend.  Its night and day different to any other network on site.

This. I'm normally with 3, but bought a PAYG EE Sim just for the festival. 3 was OK on Wednesday, but by Thursday was marginal. Switched to the EE Sim and had excellent access for the rest of the festival. I'll stick with 3 for now, but if I get a new phone in September I'll seriously consider changing.

As to EE affecting the traders, I was amused to see that a lot of the ice cream vans had Starlink dishes on their roofs. So I presume their card machines were Wifi using that. I imagine next year we will see more. I had a chat about it with someone running the wine bars and he was very interested.

36 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Err loading the w3w app surely needs data? 

Only for loading any map tiles - which are certainly helpful but the app can still be functional if they're slow arriving or missing.

years ago, i signed up with orange (now EE) because of them doing glastonbury, and every year at the festival i'm reminded what a great idea that was because i've never had less than a perfect signal. and great internet connectivity.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

years ago, i signed up with orange (now EE) because of them doing glastonbury, and every year at the festival i'm reminded what a great idea that was because i've never had less than a perfect signal. and great internet connectivity.

Been with O2 for years, but they majorly messed me about getting a replacement for a stolen phone before Glastonbury and I said I was considering leaving, think Glasto experience has made up my mind. Plus EE are the only mobile operator to have a signal at my Mum's too (she's in SW). 

Had no problems with GPS / what 3 words. Key is remembering how GPS works, before taking a reading you need to give it time to lock onto the signal from more satellites. If you open the app and give the first location it offers, then it’s unlikely to be accurate. 

As for mobile data, I got no signal on three at all. But I knew this would be the case thanks to members here. I knew EE install a high capacity temporary network for their customers. So I had a second EE e-sim put onto my phone. EE never faltered at all, insane speeds at all times! 

Here are my network tests results for EE from the Pyramid… 

390979FA-6675-4705-AD9C-6AD725104458.thumb.jpeg.4e5e76b92aa5ca36a71615b8094bc969.jpeg

Incredible!!!

Why oh why were some of the bars using another network on their card machines? Amateurs!!! The bars using EE had no card issues at all (and got most of my money.) 

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Why oh why were some of the bars using another network on their card machines? Amateurs!!! The bars using EE had no card issues at all (and got most of my money.) 

Quite - and the bars/traders that weren't on EE should've twigged by Wednesday afternoon picked up a 10 quid SIM card which would come with enough data to sort them for the weekend. They were literally being sold on site.

1 hour ago, dulcificum said:

As above, absolutely not. It's 100% offline which is the entire point of the system.

I'm not sure you understand how it works if this is confusing.

I figured that the rest of the display information was fairly integral, but I see what you mean that it's still usable with just the grid