Jump to content

Is it usually okay to get tickets if determined


O'Doyle Rules
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, DTichborne said:

It really was. We left the country for the weekend and went to Barcelona. But it broke the link whereby it was essential for me. This upcoming one is going to be the first where I don't buy/apply for tickets since 1994. Trying some other festivals then coming back (if I can) in a few years. Perhaps this being the last year of my 40s is also a factor in that. 

I haven't missed one since I started going in 2004, sometimes I think it would be healthy for me to miss one just to break the run and not feel obliged to go every year! (I worked the fest in 2019 when I failed to get a ticket)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I haven't missed one since I started going in 2004, sometimes I think it would be healthy for me to miss one just to break the run and not feel obliged to go every year! (I worked the fest in 2019 when I failed to get a ticket)

I had to go to a wedding in 2017. It made me even more determined to get to every one!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I had to go to a wedding in 2017. It made me even more determined to get to every one!! 

If anyone schedules a wedding on Glastonbury weekend, it is a no from me, Clive. Ruins my television schedule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, a6l6e6x said:

In the 5 I have attended I am the only one who has got through ever for groups of up to 14, thinking of running a T-day bootcamp for my group

Not even joking but i would sign up for that level of skillz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there anyone here who doesn't try for tickets in both the coach and general sales? I was talking to some friends in another group and was astounded to learn that they've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. It's not even like they go on the Tuesday, they always just to early on the Wednesday. They just don't like the lack of flexibility the coach packages provide 🤷‍♂️

This seems crazy to me as getting tickets of any kind > getting no tickets, even if it means getting a sub- optimal camping location having come on a later arriving coach.  We've always tried in the coach sales and managed to get tickets in them once, and yeah we didn't get prime real estate on site but at least we were at f****** Glastonbury. 

Edited by HyperTechnoHorse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Is there anyone here who doesn't try for tickets in both the coach and general sales? I was talking to some friends in another group and was astounded to learn that they've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. It's not even like they go on the Tuesday, they always just to early on the Wednesday. They just don't like the lack of flexibility the coach packages provide 🤷‍♂️

This seems crazy to me as getting tickets of any kind > getting no tickets, even if it means getting a sub- optimal camping location having come on a later arriving coach.  We've always tried in the coach sales and managed to get tickets in them once, and yeah we didn't get prime real estate on site but at least we were at f****** Glastonbury. 

Does that extend to getting Thursday coach tickets? Such a gamble of missing two entire days. Tempted to try for Wednesday from a select number of locations this year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Is there anyone here who doesn't try for tickets in both the coach and general sales? I was talking to some friends in another group and was astounded to learn that they've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. It's not even like they go on the Tuesday, they always just to early on the Wednesday. They just don't like the lack of flexibility the coach packages provide 🤷‍♂️

This seems crazy to me as getting tickets of any kind > getting no tickets, even if it means getting a sub- optimal camping location having come on a later arriving coach.  We've always tried in the coach sales and managed to get tickets in them once, and yeah we didn't get prime real estate on site but at least we were at f****** Glastonbury. 

Despite nearly always travelling to the festival by public transport, the only sale I ever tried for Coach Tickets was in October 2019 - and that was with very exact parameters (Bristol only, no later than 11am Wednesday - which we got).

I doubt I'll try this time around, as the lack of flexibility and no choice or even indication of times from anywhere other than Bristol or London combine to make it a lesser option.

If I ever had to resort to the resale, my thinking would of course be very different, but for October there's no reason to compromise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Is there anyone here who doesn't try for tickets in both the coach and general sales? I was talking to some friends in another group and was astounded to learn that they've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. It's not even like they go on the Tuesday, they always just to early on the Wednesday. They just don't like the lack of flexibility the coach packages provide 🤷‍♂️

This seems crazy to me as getting tickets of any kind > getting no tickets, even if it means getting a sub- optimal camping location having come on a later arriving coach.  We've always tried in the coach sales and managed to get tickets in them once, and yeah we didn't get prime real estate on site but at least we were at f****** Glastonbury. 

Nope, I'd rather not go, and try out a different fest next year, than go on a coach. It all seems way too much faff. For starters most of the coach passengers don't seem to use the service as partly intended, to reduce their footprint, instead travelling all over the country to pick up their coach. Then they're somewhat limited on when they can arrive, sometimes missing the Wednesday (one of our most fun days exploring this year.) If circumstances change before the festival and you can no longer make that coach, from the other side of the country, it seems to be a huge panic and faff making sure you can still get your tickets. But worst of all, I'm 6'3" and fairly large, I cannot bare the thought of 3 to 5 hours on a coach.

But then, I'm not too worried about ticket day, if I was it might be different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Is there anyone here who doesn't try for tickets in both the coach and general sales? I was talking to some friends in another group and was astounded to learn that they've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. It's not even like they go on the Tuesday, they always just to early on the Wednesday. They just don't like the lack of flexibility the coach packages provide 🤷‍♂️

This seems crazy to me as getting tickets of any kind > getting no tickets, even if it means getting a sub- optimal camping location having come on a later arriving coach.  We've always tried in the coach sales and managed to get tickets in them once, and yeah we didn't get prime real estate on site but at least we were at f****** Glastonbury. 

We've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. Would rather have a car to transport all of us and all we need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Is there anyone here who doesn't try for tickets in both the coach and general sales? I was talking to some friends in another group and was astounded to learn that they've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. It's not even like they go on the Tuesday, they always just to early on the Wednesday. They just don't like the lack of flexibility the coach packages provide 🤷‍♂️

This seems crazy to me as getting tickets of any kind > getting no tickets, even if it means getting a sub- optimal camping location having come on a later arriving coach.  We've always tried in the coach sales and managed to get tickets in them once, and yeah we didn't get prime real estate on site but at least we were at f****** Glastonbury. 

Never tried for coach either.  I love the main idea of it, bus being greener than car, but as already said there's extra faff but actually the green bit doesn't seem to work that brilliantly either.  

If there were way more coach than regular tickets I'd have a rethink - I'd even welcome that switch if they did something to force your bus options to relate to your registration address, or added more flexibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Nope, I'd rather not go, and try out a different fest next year, than go on a coach. It all seems way too much faff. For starters most of the coach passengers don't seem to use the service as partly intended, to reduce their footprint, instead travelling all over the country to pick up their coach. Then they're somewhat limited on when they can arrive, sometimes missing the Wednesday (one of our most fun days exploring this year.) If circumstances change before the festival and you can no longer make that coach, from the other side of the country, it seems to be a huge panic and faff making sure you can still get your tickets. But worst of all, I'm 6'3" and fairly large, I cannot bare the thought of 3 to 5 hours on a coach.

But then, I'm not too worried about ticket day, if I was it might be different. 

I've done the coach twice (2015, and this year) its actually quite easy and also makes you pack a lot less 'crap' than you would do normally.  Just get on the coach and relax rather than having to concentrate on driving.

Coach got us there for 9.45am and we were in and pitched up by 11.45am....you also get dropped off at the gate so no big walks through the car parks with heavy bags.

Our return coach was at 5.30am on Monday morning this year and I would say it was 95% full.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I've done the coach twice (2015, and this year) its actually quite easy and also makes you pack a lot less 'crap' than you would do normally.  Just get on the coach and relax rather than having to concentrate on driving

We did the coach from Bath this year and quite liked it.

Getting on site for 7am on the wednesday and through the gates relatively quickly made up for all the faff of getting to Bath in time for the coach.

Fortunately some friends had a stall in the green crafts field (The Ringpull art people who had the amazing technicolour school bus) so they were able to pack all my booze which saved a hell of a lot of weight and made up for having to pack a lot lighter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BambooShanks said:

We did the coach from Bath this year and quite liked it.

Getting on site for 7am on the wednesday and through the gates relatively quickly made up for all the faff of getting to Bath in time for the coach.

Fortunately some friends had a stall in the green crafts field (The Ringpull art people who had the amazing technicolour school bus) so they were able to pack all my booze which saved a hell of a lot of weight and made up for having to pack a lot lighter.

 

Yes, someone brought in my beer/cider and my camping chair for me which helped a lot (although I did bring the camping chair back with me on the coach)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I've done the coach twice (2015, and this year) its actually quite easy and also makes you pack a lot less 'crap' than you would do normally.  Just get on the coach and relax rather than having to concentrate on driving.

Coach got us there for 9.45am and we were in and pitched up by 11.45am....you also get dropped off at the gate so no big walks through the car parks with heavy bags.

Our return coach was at 5.30am on Monday morning this year and I would say it was 95% full.

I drove down Tuesday evening, stayed in the Premier inn at Glastonbury. Woke up around 9am, had a cooked breakfast, then a shower and headed to Sticklinch for around 11am. No traffic, no queues to get in, and parked my car around 100-200M from the pre erected tent. We were in the Hop & Liquor on the booze by midday. 😛 

Not sure how much coach tickets cost, but this cost us around £420 (£210 each) on top of our tickets, and I think it was worth every penny. 

Only thing I'd like to do differently would be to book the hotel for the Monday night too, so I don't 'have' to take it easy on the Sunday. 😉 

But if we were unable to get SL / WV next year, and were in general camping, that wouldn't be a deal breaker, we'd do the same routine, but arrive later on the wednesday to let the queues go down, there'll only be 4 of us sharing one tent, and don't 'need' to be in the most popular fields, so shouldn't have too much trouble finding a spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading through this thread is making me feel stressed and also incredibly lucky that I’ve got tickets both times I tried (for the 2019 festival and 2022 festival) on my own 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

id have a bit of travel just to get to the coach point, the two nearest are twenty and fifty miles away respectively - it just doesnt really fit. If there was one from my hometown then id be a lot more likely to give it a go because sitting down, listening to tunes and daydreaming out of a window is exactly what i want to do when im driving 😄 but then i quite like road trips, can set off and come back when i want, and i can use the car as a storage for unused wellies etc etc as well. . . no coach sale for me until there's a setoff a fair bit closer to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

I drove down Tuesday evening, stayed in the Premier inn at Glastonbury. Woke up around 9am, had a cooked breakfast, then a shower and headed to Sticklinch for around 11am. No traffic, no queues to get in, and parked my car around 100-200M from the pre erected tent. We were in the Hop & Liquor on the booze by midday. 😛 

Not sure how much coach tickets cost, but this cost us around £420 (£210 each) on top of our tickets, and I think it was worth every penny. 

Only thing I'd like to do differently would be to book the hotel for the Monday night too, so I don't 'have' to take it easy on the Sunday. 😉 

But if we were unable to get SL / WV next year, and were in general camping, that wouldn't be a deal breaker, we'd do the same routine, but arrive later on the wednesday to let the queues go down, there'll only be 4 of us sharing one tent, and don't 'need' to be in the most popular fields, so shouldn't have too much trouble finding a spot. 

I paid £50 return from Oxford for the coach.

Its really down to the individual and what they can afford.....

The original point to what I was replying to, was that I think its a good option to getting a ticket, and you can of course get the coach and still do WV/Sticklinch. 

That all said I do prefer to drive, I fill my car up with other people and it then gives us the flexibility to when we arrive and leave.....but the coach is fine as well, I think once you've done it once and seen how easy it is then some of the assumptions about it go away. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Is there anyone here who doesn't try for tickets in both the coach and general sales? I was talking to some friends in another group and was astounded to learn that they've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. It's not even like they go on the Tuesday, they always just to early on the Wednesday. They just don't like the lack of flexibility the coach packages provide 🤷‍♂️

This seems crazy to me as getting tickets of any kind > getting no tickets, even if it means getting a sub- optimal camping location having come on a later arriving coach.  We've always tried in the coach sales and managed to get tickets in them once, and yeah we didn't get prime real estate on site but at least we were at f****** Glastonbury. 

Hey steady on, I don't want you suggesting to all these losers that there's any wisdom in applying for coach 😉

I spent about 30 years with general but then as you say was faced with coach or not going hence easiest choice in the world.  I have a slightly reduced packing list and there can be some challenges, but they're just different challenges, for example I've never got stuck in a car park for 5 hours (unlike sometimes when I've been driving) and don't need to take it easy and leave at 6am or some mad time. 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Nope, I'd rather not go, and try out a different fest next year, than go on a coach. It all seems way too much faff. For starters most of the coach passengers don't seem to use the service as partly intended, to reduce their footprint, instead travelling all over the country to pick up their coach. Then they're somewhat limited on when they can arrive, sometimes missing the Wednesday (one of our most fun days exploring this year.) If circumstances change before the festival and you can no longer make that coach, from the other side of the country, it seems to be a huge panic and faff making sure you can still get your tickets. But worst of all, I'm 6'3" and fairly large, I cannot bare the thought of 3 to 5 hours on a coach.

But then, I'm not too worried about ticket day, if I was it might be different. 

That's not most of the coach passengers. In the October sale the majority either get their first/second choice or it sells out. I think what you're referring to is more common in the resale which is a small minority of the tickets and are filling spaces on existing coaches.  This year I got a resale coach but only 50 odd miles away, so no great shake, whereas I'd have likely failed otherwise - seeing that not everyone in our resale group got a ticket. 

Compared to your 420 quid, it was 6 quid each for the megabus to get the seetickets coach , then after the festival we simply got their bus back to Bristol, which was twenty quid each. 

I'd do it again without hesitation, indeed I struggle with the decision as to whether to keep my powder dry until the Sunday sale and the much higher number of applicants. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

I'm confused what stuff people are taking with them that they can't take on coaches?  

Feels like near enough everything they own, in some cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

I'm confused what stuff people are taking with them that they can't take on coaches?  

stuff that doesnt fit into one rucksack and a day bag. clothes and toiletries can easily fill a rucksack, then theres sleeping bags and mats strapped to the outside with a pillow, a separate tent and a camping chair - so bringing in a decent amount of food and drink is pretty much not happening. I guess people on buses are wearing wellies and packing boots etc in their rucksacks? ive got size 12 feet, thats 40 of my 80 litre capacity just on big ugly footwear 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

I'm confused what stuff people are taking with them that they can't take on coaches?  

I get someone who's coming by car to take my beer/cider and camping chair for me (although I take the camping chair back) and I wear my walking boots in and switch to trainers when on site (well this year at least)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

I'm confused what stuff people are taking with them that they can't take on coaches?  

A trolley? I know some people manage to get trollies on coaches, but not always apparently. 

10 minutes ago, clarkete said:

That's not most of the coach passengers. In the October sale the majority either get their first/second choice or it sells out. I think what you're referring to is more common in the resale which is a small minority of the tickets and are filling spaces on existing coaches.  This year I got a resale coach but only 50 odd miles away, so no great shake, whereas I'd have likely failed otherwise - seeing that not everyone in our resale group got a ticket. 

Fair enough, felt like everyone when you read the see tickets coach email thread... 

28 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I paid £50 return from Oxford for the coach.

Its really down to the individual and what they can afford.....

The original point to what I was replying to, was that I think its a good option to getting a ticket, and you can of course get the coach and still do WV/Sticklinch. 

That all said I do prefer to drive, I fill my car up with other people and it then gives us the flexibility to when we arrive and leave.....but the coach is fine as well, I think once you've done it once and seen how easy it is then some of the assumptions about it go away. 🙂 

Fair enough, reasonably priced then, especially given fuel costs this year. 

If they did the sales the other way around, there'd be a hell of a lot of people willing to travel by coach, that is for sure... But as it is, it forces you to give up the luxury of the car... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...