Is it usually okay to get tickets if determined

O'Doyle Rules

Just now, The Nal said:

I have an 8.58am "hang on a sec just waiting to hear back if xxx wants a ticket" text before.

the-office-michael-scott.gif

Groups etc arranged weeks before.

I'd have conveniently missed that text I think. Network problems.

This thread is insane to me. Just home from my eighth Glastonbury... Never once managed to get my own tickets. Even 2008, when they didn't sell out, someone else in our group got in before me. I missed 2011 due to studying, but 2013 and 2019 just couldn't get tickets. Worked it this year as 2019 was too painful. 

Have lived in different cities and different addresses during this time, other half is a software engineer so we have decent tech, I'm clearly just wildly unlucky. Though that said, I would definitely work there again. 

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

This was back when you put in someone elses reg who'd already got a ticket you got fucked off the page.

Have had a couple of Glasto TDays like that.

I had that on the last big ticket day back in 2019. We of course camped with the bugger who bagged his ticket back then and kicked us out of the booking. Absolute bastard 🤣

3 hours ago, Mark Greensmith said:

I guess my question was more about refreshing in the first place auto or not. Does that really increase chances, or is it just you get through to the booking page that little bit quicker?

No. 

Sadly any of these things are the difference between whether you get through to the booking page or don't. 

At worst you only see it after half an hour when all sold out. 

There are so many theories about the right way to succeed as well unfortunately 

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Well every time you refresh is an attempt to connect to the page so if you do it 60 times a minute vs 3 times you’ll have 20 times more chances to be successful. 

Depending on the auto refresh you use some are sophisticated enough to stop when the page changes! 

Are you sure about this? 

I'm not an expert, but for example say i'm computer A connecting to a server, and server lets A through why would the refresh make a difference? Isn't that decision totally random? I'm going to get through whether I refresh myself or seetickets refreshes for me, one will take just that little bit longer?

If what you said is true, if you refreshed on the booking page you'd go straight back into the queue, but that doesn't happen does it?

This is just me theorising, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Mark Greensmith

15 minutes ago, Mark Greensmith said:

Are you sure about this? 

I'm not an expert, but for example say i'm computer A connecting to a server, and server lets A through why would the refresh make a difference? I'm going to get through whether I refresh myself or seetickets refreshes for me, one will take just that little bit longer.

If what you said is true, if you refreshed on the booking page you'd go straight back into the queue, but that doesn't happen does it?

Yep I am sure because we are not all queued to get in as See Tickets don’t operate a queuing system. My husband is a head of web development and he favours the auto refresh extension approach because it will statistically give the best chance of success. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I am sure because we are not all queued to get in as See Tickets don’t operate a queuing system. My husband is a head of web development and he favours the auto refresh extension approach because it will statistically give the best chance of success. 

How many seconds would you set it to, out of interest?

I’d had 100% success rate for every festival that I tried for tickets - 14 - up until this year.

I got a friend a ticket in the resale - so if I had wanted one myself I would have kept that run going. Instead I listened to the voice in my head (my wife’s) saying there’s too much other stuff going on in our lives at the moment so I passed it by. It didn’t stop me entering every competition going to try and get in on the sly and have an excuse for going! No luck however 🙂

First Glastonbury was 2011. We missed out in 2016 (got married and couldn’t afford it anyway) and not missed any others. I’ve got 5 out of the 7 I think with two different friends getting the other 2. 

we’ve usually got two laptops and two phones on the go (one phone on WiFi and one on 4/5G)

Out of all the times I've wanted to go, I've luckily succeeded either in the main sale or resale. 

It's always tense and sometimes when you fail the first time in Oct it's easy to sack the whole thing off.

Out of curiosity, has anyone overcooked the F5 key? I mean, refreshed it until you get the ticket sales page and then keep going by accident and then lost it?

It's my biggest ticket sales day fear, that I hammer it too much and then lose it.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:01 AM, Steel city camper said:

Pretty sure it's 6

On 6/30/2022 at 11:05 AM, briddj said:

image.png.624222bb3d76e9f13d25dbe1935dd837.png

Wow, it was def 6 a few years back because my friends and I had to split into groups of 6, which caused some problems. 

Certainly doesn't help spread the tickets out and allows far bigger groups to get together.

51 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Wow, it was def 6 a few years back because my friends and I had to split into groups of 6, which caused some problems. 

Certainly doesn't help spread the tickets out and allows far bigger groups to get together.

Nah it's 6. I'd found a page from 2012!

21 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Must have been tough to miss out in 2017 after such a prolonged attendance!

It really was. We left the country for the weekend and went to Barcelona. But it broke the link whereby it was essential for me. This upcoming one is going to be the first where I don't buy/apply for tickets since 1994. Trying some other festivals then coming back (if I can) in a few years. Perhaps this being the last year of my 40s is also a factor in that. 

14 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Many thanks for this info, will make note!

Edit one more q: What about using VPNs? This wouldn't make a difference if what you said is true would it?

Edited by Mark Greensmith

21 minutes ago, Mark Greensmith said:

Many thanks for this info, will make note!

Edit one more q: What about using VPNs? This wouldn't make a difference if what you said is true would it?

Using VPN’s makes a difference if you are using multiple devices as then you can set the auto refresh to the maximum on each device. It’s also useful if more than one person is trying in the house so you don’t go over the limit between you. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Using VPN’s makes a difference if you are using multiple devices as then you can set the auto refresh to the maximum on each device. It’s also useful if more than one person is trying in the house so you don’t go over the limit between you. 

I'd be incredibly surprised if they were rate limiting based on IP address during the sale. There are too many ISPs using CGNAT these days so a single IP can be shared by hundreds of customers. When I've worked on HA sites that have spikes in traffic in the past we've had to use other heuristics to detect DOS attacks when the traffic spikes come. Rate limiting based on IP doesn't really do much these days anyway because DDOS is too easy and accessible.

Personally I'd stay away from using a VPN for several reasons. One is that they're nearly always slower, the other is that any VPN provider (especially true if it's through your work) will be monitoring and manipulating the traffic in ways that aren't obvious to you as an end user that may cause issues. It's also entirely possible that the VPN provider falsely thinks that a user repeatedly refreshing a page is a malevolent act and blocks it.

6 hours ago, essjay2009 said:

I'd be incredibly surprised if they were rate limiting based on IP address during the sale. There are too many ISPs using CGNAT these days so a single IP can be shared by hundreds of customers. When I've worked on HA sites that have spikes in traffic in the past we've had to use other heuristics to detect DOS attacks when the traffic spikes come. Rate limiting based on IP doesn't really do much these days anyway because DDOS is too easy and accessible.

Yes, It's more complex than simply limiting per single IP address, as there's an element of browser fingerprinting involved, but the 60 hits in 60 seconds limit (which it's very possible to exceed even without any automation) is definitely there and IP address is one of the major factors.

As best we've been able to identify, the limits don't change around/during the sale periods - so feel free to do your own experiments with the site and report back. I did try to figure out the specifics of the browser fingerprinting a few years back but got bored quite quickly and figured it's easier just to work around it so that the limit doesn't get hit.

Our group has been successful 11 years in a row now. As we have been so lucky you tend to start thinking it's easy and can't understand why people struggle to get tickets. 

Of course we know it's not that easy and actually I've only been successful 4 times myself so if I had been going solo I would have missed out 7 times! 

Only tips I can really give are to try and get a few people trying at the same time and don't give up until its all over. Several times have struck lucky with 5 mins to spare having worked the f5 key solidly for 25 minutes. 

I swear some people have a bit of a go and then give up and make a cup of tea or something. You need to keep going until all hope is lost! (and then go again in the resale!) 

We first went in 2009 and have been every year that it’s been on since, except 2011 when we didn’t try for tickets because we couldn't afford it due to moving house. 

We are super organised - there’s 9 of us, and we are all sat there with multiple devices trying to get through - between us we have probably 25 pages attempting to get through. Every October we have got through at least once in the main sale, and when we’ve needed to we’ve managed to get the remainder in the resale too. 

All that being said, I think that being able to get tickets multiple years in a row is very much 50/50 on luck and organisation, and I’m sure that at some point we won’t be as lucky as we have been. 

My husband and I have always said if we don’t get our tickets in the main sale then we won’t spend the next 6 months stressing about having to try in the resale and instead would book a holiday Glasto week because we couldn’t bear to watch it on the telly and not be there 😂

Edited by JoBalls
Typo