Is it usually okay to get tickets if determined

O'Doyle Rules

31 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

Is this the case? You’re not given any choice of departure location? 

You have a choice of day and departure location. I think it's only Bristol and London that let you pick the departure time and with the others you find out a lot nearer the festival. But in the resale I think a lot of people go for whatever they can get.

31 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

significantly more .... I took in 30 cans ..... so at £6 a pint thats a significant cost .... id love to buy at the bar but its also very  handy to have cans at the tent and not need lots of bar trips . although my cans are ice cold till at least sat eve 

Yeah appreciate I'm privileged to be able to afford it! But also I don't own a car anyway or drive so I'd never be able to bring that much.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

This is true, although for me its mostly alcohol (plus my camping chair on the way down, I always bring it back)

if only there was a click and collect service at the festival for slabs of beer and cider...

Was thinking this - we didn't get coach but did do it all via public transport and the only reason we could take any alcohol was our friends in a campervan. They may not be coming again so not sure what we'd do next time. 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Was thinking this - we didn't get coach but did do it all via public transport and the only reason we could take any alcohol was our friends in a campervan. They may not be coming again so not sure what we'd do next time. 

They used to do this at Electric Picnic. You could pre-order cans to pick up on site, which was handy.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You have a choice of day and departure location. I think it's only Bristol and London that let you pick the departure time and with the others you find out a lot nearer the festival. But in the resale I think a lot of people go for whatever they can get.

I assume people go for whatever they can get in the Oct sale too.  I love that they prioritise public transport, shame it's implemented in such a half arsed way (as to have people in cornwall getting a bus from manchester, back down to somerset, just because it's what's available).

The giveaway is that they don't bother to force/expect people to take the same option to get home.

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Click and collect - more Carslburg do you reckon? 😄 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Let’s be honest though … many people who get the coach have stuff transported down by other people . I wonder what proportion take purely what they can carry …. And I was one of those that took extra in a car … 

Same here, but if we didn't have the extra car we'd have just taken a lot more spirits and less / no cans. Not the end of the world, we didn't really have anything else in the car that was essential

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Issue with the coach sale is winding up with a crummy departure point and having to haul ass to Inverness or something in order to meet the bus.

That's a very small minority

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

This. Always wondered why they don't just sell the tickets first then based on postcodes determine where and how many coaches to distribute around the country.

I guess they would always end up with some extra spaces - however i guess the resale could be used to fill these slots on the coaches. Would mean that some areas end up with a resale advantage though theoretically - although i guess thats already the case anyway for people less prepared to travel as some areas have way more coaches than others (e.g. bristol isn't huge but has loads of coaches vs like manchester)

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

I assume people go for whatever they can get in the Oct sale too.  I love that they prioritise public transport, shame it's implemented in such a half arsed way (as to have people in cornwall getting a bus from manchester, back down to somerset, just because it's what's available).

The giveaway is that they don't bother to force/expect people to take the same option to get home.

They probably do a bit yeah. I'm lucky as there's always London options! Although getting to the coach park couldn't be much more difficult for me and in the same city ha 

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They used to do this at Electric Picnic. You could pre-order cans to pick up on site, which was handy.

Its so useful - Kendal are doing it through Co-op for this year too. Just a shame the one place you can actually make the most of it doesn't!!

Though I remember when Leeds did it with Carling. That felt more like a punishment for not being able to carry something better in...

As pointed out below, probably the same with Carlsberg at Glastonbury if they were to ever do it

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

haha this is true - I didn't think of this. It'd just have to be Brothers and use any carrying capacity for beer!

Would be nice if they went all in and created a proper pre-order service with good choice and decent prices.  Booze is one of the biggies you see people struggling with wheel barrows through the mud with - for those considering the bus without that luxury it'd be a great incentive (especially if you could collect them 4 cans at a time, chilled).  Fantasy stuff, but then Glastonbury often is when they get things right...

Honestly think I'm just about done bringing any significant amount of canned beer into the festival.  Leaves me bloated all day, warm 90% of the time even with ice and a cooler box, and is a massive drag to lump around site/coordinate with lockups.  This year we were predominantly used spirits and enjoyed ourselves much more, felt lighter and more mobile.  

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thank you. Tempted to try the coach sale then. I’m in West Midlands so Bristol I’d be happy with, or London if the only choice. 
I suppose the only thing that would bother me would be if I had to arrive Thursday and not Wednesday, but that’s better than not going at all

3 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Would be nice if they went all in and created a proper pre-order service with good choice and decent prices.  Booze is one of the biggies you see people struggling with wheel barrows through the mud with - for those considering the bus without that luxury it'd be a great incentive (especially if you could collect them 4 cans at a time, chilled).  Fantasy stuff, but then Glastonbury often is when they get things right...

Yeah and even if they limited it to ensure some bar spend, that'd be understandable. obviously if you could order like 5 crates you would. Just enough to have some for those who are on public transport would be fine - it'd be better than it is now anyway.

It does fit in to the public transport or otherwise debate for some - one of the big USPs of the festival (being able to take your drink anywhere/saving money) is actually removed from those on public transport at the moment unless they have friends coming in cars or campers

Edited by efcfanwirral

40 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We take everything on the coach we would normally except loads of alcohol. One plastic bottle of spirits is basically all we take now. So yeah it does work out more expensive than bringing in loads of cans. I kind of hate drinking warm cans anyway though.

Same on both counts.  I took two reusable plastic bottles of poncey gin. Also took a food flask as somebody in a thread if mine recommended it for keeping ice cold (it was phenomenal - 12 to 18 hours I think). 

Plan fell apart quite quickly, as it turns out the range of mixers at the co op is not as great as I'd hoped - first staff member said more expected 1am, we sought out someone who seemed like the boss, they advised that they're not allowed to sell tonic so they don't compete with the bars. I suspect if I'd gone back later they at least would have had some lemonade cans, but we just wandered past some food stalls and sought out some overpriced sprite (not too sweet so a surprisingly nice and refreshing drink). 

2 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

Thank you. Tempted to try the coach sale then. I’m in West Midlands so Bristol I’d be happy with, or London if the only choice. 
I suppose the only thing that would bother me would be if I had to arrive Thursday and not Wednesday, but that’s better than not going at all

From memory the first thing you get to select is day and then location. So there is a Wednesday button and a Thursday button.

If you get through to Wednesday and see your location sold out you can try to get back and select Thursday.

I'd say worth a shot as it gives you a whole other chance of getting tickets but all the extra variables do make it very stressful under pressure!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We take everything on the coach we would normally except loads of alcohol. One plastic bottle of spirits is basically all we take now. So yeah it does work out more expensive than bringing in loads of cans. I kind of hate drinking warm cans anyway though.

Co-Op ice tipped in a cool bag (a leaky one!) and kept just under the groundsheet in the porch area was revolutionary for us this year. No more running between newsagent type stalls or ice cream vans hoping they've had an ice delivery. 

I wish I'd known Co-Op was there in 2019 - incredibly I only found out about it when I got back!

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Same on both counts.  I took two reusable plastic bottles of poncey gin. Also took a food flask as somebody in a thread if mine recommended it for keeping ice cold (it was phenomenal - 12 to 18 hours I think). 

Plan fell apart quite quickly, as it turns out the range of mixers at the co op is not as great as I'd hoped - first staff member said more expected 1am, we sought out someone who seemed like the boss, they advised that they're not allowed to sell tonic so they don't compete with the bars. I suspect if I'd gone back later they at least would have had some lemonade cans, but we just wandered past some food stalls and sought out some overpriced sprite (not too sweet so a surprisingly nice and refreshing drink). 

I've actually never been to the co-op on site! Was 2019 its first year? We always just buy overpriced coke and ginger beer (we take rum) from food stalls but would be handy to use co-op. Sounds not very reliable though.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've actually never been to the co-op on site! Was 2019 its first year? We always just buy overpriced coke and ginger beer (we take rum) from food stalls but would be handy to use co-op. Sounds not very reliable though.

First year was 2019 yeah. I didn't even think about the co-op this year and paid through the nose for cans of coke at the festival shops (2.50 a can). Anyone know what the co-op were charging?