Is it usually okay to get tickets if determined

O'Doyle Rules

2 hours ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Is there anyone here who doesn't try for tickets in both the coach and general sales? I was talking to some friends in another group and was astounded to learn that they've never tried to get coach tickets and never plan to. It's not even like they go on the Tuesday, they always just to early on the Wednesday. They just don't like the lack of flexibility the coach packages provide 🤷‍♂️

This seems crazy to me as getting tickets of any kind > getting no tickets, even if it means getting a sub- optimal camping location having come on a later arriving coach.  We've always tried in the coach sales and managed to get tickets in them once, and yeah we didn't get prime real estate on site but at least we were at f****** Glastonbury. 

If the coach sale was after the main sale a lot more people would go for it i think! Luckily its not though, it rewards those who are more flexible really (and to an extent you could say more dedicated - or just don't have a car!)

14 minutes ago, gfa said:

If the coach sale was after the main sale a lot more people would go for it i think! Luckily its not though, it rewards those who are more flexible really (and to an extent you could say more dedicated - or just don't have a car!)

Let’s be honest though … many people who get the coach have stuff transported down by other people . I wonder what proportion take purely what they can carry …. And I was one of those that took extra in a car … 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Issue with the coach sale is winding up with a crummy departure point and having to haul ass to Inverness or something in order to meet the bus.

This. Always wondered why they don't just sell the tickets first then based on postcodes determine where and how many coaches to distribute around the country.

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Let’s be honest though … many people who get the coach have stuff transported down by other people . I wonder what proportion take purely what they can carry …. And I was one of those that took extra in a car … 

This is true, although for me its mostly alcohol (plus my camping chair on the way down, I always bring it back)

if only there was a click and collect service at the festival for slabs of beer and cider...

Did the coach this time and only took what I could carry, some people take so much to the fest when you only really need a tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and change of clothes

Didn't manage to get the coach back though and had to train it which was absolute chaos

Will be trying for coach again this year 100%

One man one ticket buyer here. Never tried for coach (for myself, tried for others but never got a sniff).

Since 2010 I've been on a repeating pattern of get one, don't get one. Luckily I've managed to volunteer for the don't get one years.

So 50/50 then?

On 6/30/2022 at 11:45 AM, Quark said:

Yep, pretty nailed on it'll be Thu 6th / Sun 9th Oct. Get planning people!

https://theglastonburythingy.weebly.com/when-does.html

Damn you're right. I've booked the wrong weekend off of work. It's not the first Sunday in October is it. It's the first bloody Thursday. That'll be the first thing I rectify when I get back on Wednesday afternoon.

Glad I opened this thread now.

43 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ha ha, we're not all taking a range of bloody hats and half dozen batteries 😊

I've got a coach maybe 5 or 6 times, never once had anyone bring stuff - but that's not too say I don't post here asking this time. 

I've also done it when I had a rented caravan and got a Tesco order including milk and 40 plus cans of g and t sent to the firm - they even put it all in the fridge bless them. 

44 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

This. Always wondered why they don't just sell the tickets first then based on postcodes determine where and how many coaches to distribute around the country.

Because it would be an absolute nightmare of planning and logistics - aside from the fact you actually don't solve that problem. When a proportion of tickets are returned and resold they will of course be seats on the buses you've so carefully arranged to suit the original applicants. 

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Ha ha, we're not all taking a range of bloody hats and half dozen batteries 😊

I've got a coach maybe 5 or 6 times, never once had anyone bring stuff - but that's not too say I don't post here asking this time. 

I've also done it when I had a rented caravan and got a Tesco order including milk and 40 plus cans of g and t sent to the firm - they even put it all in the fridge bless them. 

Because it would be an absolute nightmare of planning and logistics - aside from the fact you actually don't solve that problem. When a proportion of tickets are returned and resold they will of course be seats on the buses you've so carefully arranged to suit the original applicants. 

fair comment 🙂 actually I think id probably have managed it ..... my overflow in the car was basically a food bag and cider in a coolbox ..... a friend did take the tent in but id probably have managed that worst case scenario ..... might try the bus this time in the hope of getting an earlier one as I do like my wed exploration . from discussion the earlier bus sale gets the early buses ... 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

fair comment 🙂 actually I think id probably have managed it ..... my overflow in the car was basically a food bag and cider in a coolbox ..... a friend did take the tent in but id probably have managed that worst case scenario ..... might try the bus this time in the hope of getting an earlier one as I do like my wed exploration . from discussion the earlier bus sale gets the early buses ... 

I could have carried my alcohol in...it just meant by someone else bringing it in their car I didn't nearly collapse. 🙂 ... but I wouldn't have been able to take my camping chair in on top.

I didn't bother to go for coaches in the first coach sale and massively regretted it as that was the first year we missed out! Ended up getting a coach ticket in the resale...

I live in London and have to come by public transport so it's a no-brainer for me. If I don't succeed in the coach sale I have to book a coach anyway (National Express is way more convenient for me actually as it's at Victoria). But yeah I'd always try for it. If I get the option of Thursday I think I'll go for it as well because between that and months of being ticketless I'd just rather know I was going! 

I may play it safe and go for coach/full public transport. Driving from abroad is really getting expensive/ exhausting. Probably getting something nice at WV/SL helps out for weight, and we probably would have to get our tix at box office again if going for general so...
Ideally they's do coaches from St Pancras or Ashford though.

16 minutes ago, clarkete said:

There's still ways to ensure X number of people arrive by coach.

Instead of selling 22,000 tickets tied to a particular journey, sell 50,000+ generic "coach only" tickets, and distinguish them so that they're only valid at Gate A, and only if stamped by the driver*.

And then the important part - enforce it (as other festivals do). It'd be very effective if after the first year there was a couple dozen people kicking up a stink on social media because they turned up at Gate C in a car and got locked out of the festival.

You could then have people book the journey separately and use the ticket for the journey of their choice - and could open it up so that you don't just have to use the See coaches, but also Nat Ex are available as well, and any other operator that wanted to provide the service and could meet whatever criteria laid down by the festival.

* the stamp part is an example, there's dozens of potential ways of "validating" the ticket, from very low tech to very high tech solutions.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

When is the coach sale in relation to the main sale? (Sorry if you’ve already answered it and I haven’t seen)

m

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We take everything on the coach we would normally except loads of alcohol. One plastic bottle of spirits is basically all we take now. So yeah it does work out more expensive than bringing in loads of cans. I kind of hate drinking warm cans anyway though.

I think that's the main problem with the coach for me is not having enough space for alcohol....if all coach people were offered the option to perhaps buy some cans when they arrive that would save a lot of pre-festival hassle finding someone else to bring it for you then waste however much time collecting it from their car.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We take everything on the coach we would normally except loads of alcohol. One plastic bottle of spirits is basically all we take now. So yeah it does work out more expensive than bringing in loads of cans. I kind of hate drinking warm cans anyway though.

significantly more .... I took in 30 cans ..... so at £6 a pint thats a significant cost .... id love to buy at the bar but its also very  handy to have cans at the tent and not need lots of bar trips . although my cans are ice cold till at least sat eve 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

significantly more .... I took in 30 cans ..... so at £6 a pint thats a significant cost .... id love to buy at the bar but its also very  handy to have cans at the tent and not need lots of bar trips . although my cans are ice cold till at least sat eve 

agreed.