Is it usually okay to get tickets if determined

O'Doyle Rules

Hi all,

After each festival I get the fear that it may be my last for a while following a difficult ticket day.

I’ve been nearly every year since I started going - usually trying to get involved in as many groups as possible and trying furiously on the day.

Do other regulars think, with a bit of determination and planning, that getting a ticket is a reasonable probability? I can’t help but feel next year will be the quickest sellout year due to massive media coverage of this year’s festival. However, there are a lot of regulars here so I wonder if there is a common theme why everyone is relatively successful.

Best!

I first went in 2002 - when from memory there was no rush to get tickets - then every year it was on until 2013 with the exception of 2009 and always got a ticket.  Have tried a few years since but no luck, although I don't go in for the resales.

My philosophy has been that the year picks you when you go. If its meant to be things work out. I do just as much f5 and all the other stuff as others, its just do i get in at the right time and does my card process. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Never think its my last per say. Its my last if I choose the respective hear I have a ticket to being that, not if I get denied.

2 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Hi all,

After each festival I get the fear that it may be my last for a while following a difficult ticket day.

I’ve been nearly every year since I started going - usually trying to get involved in as many groups as possible and trying furiously on the day.

Do other regulars think, with a bit of determination and planning, that getting a ticket is a reasonable probability? I can’t help but feel next year will be the quickest sellout year due to massive media coverage of this year’s festival. However, there are a lot of regulars here so I wonder if there is a common theme why everyone is relatively successful.

Best!

Being in multiple groups isn't a good idea as if one of those groups get through and then another group tries with a registration number that's already been successful it will block the whole transaction. Sure you know that but in case anyone doesn't! No harm in getting other people to try for your group when they're done but definitely don't have one number in more than one group. It's happened to us before unknowingly- someone was in two groups and fucked us over.

I've been lucky every year bar three, one of them being this year. I've tried just as hard every time. It's luck of the draw.

That said most people seem to manage the resale and I've been lucky in that before. So I'd say the determination helps you hang on until then if you can.

2 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I think I've been to more than the other responders to your question thus far (every one since 1985) and from my point of view I'd say no, these days it's never a reasonable probability.  With say 2.5  (ish) million people registered, it's clear there will always be far more applicants than tickets - so hundreds of thousands of us have to be disappointed every year.  The last few festivals have had good weather and tbh even after 2016 which got a lot of TV coverage for mud that didn't put applicants off.

I've had a number of times when I failed in the sale (and didn't even get a sniff), several of which were saved in a resale and one in a secret resale (but they no longer happen).

I had no joy at all in 2005, then I really good run up to 2015. I’ve worked the last few and that’s been great, but a very wearing couple of shifts this time has me thinking about trying again for tickets next year. (Work will still be a back up)

In answer to the OP, I have definitely been very determined, organised and informed and still missed out. When that happens there is nothing more annoying than anyone saying ‘If you are really determined you will get one’!

That said, if you really want to go, and miss out on a ticket, you probably can go if you are prepared to work it!

17 minutes ago, amfy said:

I had no joy at all in 2005, then I really good run up to 2015. I’ve worked the last few and that’s been great, but a very wearing couple of shifts this time has me thinking about trying again for tickets next year. (Work will still be a back up)

In answer to the OP, I have definitely been very determined, organised and informed and still missed out. When that happens there is nothing more annoying than anyone saying ‘If you are really determined you will get one’!

That said, if you really want to go, and miss out on a ticket, you probably can go if you are prepared to work it!

Yeah it is really annoying after the sale to have loads of people tell you you just didn't try hard enough/want it enough. Usually those people haven't had the experience of missing out themselves yet...

For normal tickets determination helps, but it's never guaranteed. I went to every festival I tried for between 2002 and 2017, but then failed until I got tickets in the last few moments of the resale for 2022.

Getting volunteer/working places with Oxfam or another charity is fairly easy if you're determined and on the ball though.

There is a degree of luck, but planning and organisation are far more important.

Bill in Cambridge might be lucky, and get in first time on his mobile when trying on the off-chance. That's luck.

People in groups who are ALL trying with multiple devices, in contact, not hungover, and who have reg and payment details ready to copy and paste are far more likely to be successful.