Second Helping

maelzoid

It's pretty much a given that most of this year's line-up won't be returning next year, but the festival does frequently have acts on consecutive years especially if they are on the rise and move to a larger stage / later placing. Aside the festival regulars (Mik, Beans, Bragg, Fatboy etc) Any suggestions about who might be there in '22 and '23.

The obvious one for me is Wet Leg.

Maybe also Confidence Man.

What say you?

1 minute ago, willgooneday said:

Yungblud bumped up somewhere more suitable for him - he drew almost a full tent against McCartney of all fucking people. He's got a new album out so it'll be mostly different songs. 

Came here to say the same. Great set, amazing energy, would be very surprised if he doesn’t get a big slot next time round. 

Usually happens when they’ve released something new in between festivals though, right? I’m sure there are a lot of exceptions but I don’t see many acts who’ve already done one of the five main stages coming back next year on a bigger stage to do exactly the same set. 

• Like 1

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Usually happens when they’ve released something new in between festivals though, right? I’m sure there are a lot of exceptions but I don’t see many acts who’ve already done one of the five main stages coming back next year on a bigger stage to do exactly the same set. 

This.

Wet Leg were always on the wrong stage, but coming back to do the same set wouldn't make sense.

Same with Confidence Man.

Just now, Furq said:

This.

Wet Leg were always on the wrong stage, but coming back to do the same set wouldn't make sense.

Same with Confidence Man.

Although I should add that it has happened before when an act has taken off stratospherically between festivals, such as Mumfords coming back to do Other in 2011 after their 2010 JP set. They had a bit of new unreleased material to play I suppose, but their popularity had certainly skyrocketed. 

Serious one though... Potentially Glass Animals. They are still playing Dreamland, which was released in 2020. It's not unreasonable to think they could be on their next cycle by then.

Maybe a JP headline slot or an afternoon Pyramid slot

Just now, Superscally said:

Then we need to stop all festivals for the foreseeable 

Get them back in with Rick Astley playing The Songs of The Smiths, I'm telling you, it's Other catnip on a Friday or Saturday morning.

Still not blown away from the television with Self Esteem, as mentioned elsewhere, but got to imagine given the vociferous crowd she pulled and the string of UK shows in February/March next year that she'll be set for a return visit. Will be interested to see how her show looks in the bright lights of an open field rather than the dark of a venue or John Peel Tent - but on the basis of reception, possibly straight in on the middle of the Other?

1 hour ago, K2SO said:

Serious one though... Potentially Glass Animals. They are still playing Dreamland, which was released in 2020. It's not unreasonable to think they could be on their next cycle by then.

Maybe a JP headline slot or an afternoon Pyramid slot

But most people have now seen Heat Waves live which was what they were bothered about. I watched on telly but it was literally just people waiting for Heat Waves. They won't have another hit that big - it's still in the charts ridiculously.

2 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

But most people have now seen Heat Waves live which was what they were bothered about. I watched on telly but it was literally just people waiting for Heat Waves. They won't have another hit that big - it's still in the charts ridiculously.

Yeah Heat Waves is a bit of a freak of a track, but I feel like with a new album, they could headline JP (They're of a similar popularity to Jamie T/Charli XCX, surely?) or get them on the Pyramid at about 3pm when there's potentially not a great deal of competition.

I agree about how dead the crowd was though. I really like their last couple of albums, so I was disappointed when the crowd was quite reserved for the majority of their set... Though I don't think that their setlist or technical issues helped them. They should have absolutely added in Pork Soda.