What makes Glastonbury magic for you?

Bomei

There's something about that place, it isn't just me that feels it - what makes this festival more than pretty much all others? 

For me it's how it reflects the real world. It isn't just an escape, where you go and forget about the world outside. It's a focusing lens, where the things which really matter - progressive politics, green activism, community spirit, defiance, love - are brought to the fore. Being there reminds you of what it means to be alive! It helps you fight your own battles and others' battles! 

I love how it blends it's roots of protest movements and paganism with the newer rock and rave cultures, its a true meeting of the waters so everyone who goes can find something new to learn! Things like the burning of the phoenix and the lotus moved me deeply, and I hope they continue both into next year! 

And finally - I love how it really is a place to let go and really be yourself. I found myself embracing my gender identity more than I've been able to ever before this year, which was a beautiful moment! 

• Like 1

For me, I guess it's kind of like a snowballing effect. The more I attend - the more happy memories are banked (there are no bad ones - thankfully - to counteract this in any way) - the more magic it gets.

On Thursday morning last week I got up early and set off for a wander around the whole site. Before I really got going, I bought a cup of tea and just sat in the Pyramid field looking at the stage. I just imagined what it was going to be like in a few days, "Na na na na na na na-ing" in that same place.. and it brought happy tears to my eyes. Because I knew that more magic moments were about to happen in that field. And all over the site. And I didn't know what they were yet, but I knew they were coming.

And they did. And now they're in the memory bank. And so the self-fulfilling magic prophecy rolls on. So the next time I'm sat in that field, I'll remember the last time, and the time before that, and imagine the time to come, and the time after that..

• Like 1

I think if you live in a seasonal climate, mid-summers (& mid-winters) day will always have a special feeling to them. Gathering at Glastonbury along with a load of other like-minded folks feels like being part of an ages old tradition in that sense. That we can all leave Real Life behind, shed some inhibitions and be ourselves all adds to it.

The same goes for the logistics - obviously it's an incredible feat of planning, but the will to invest that amount of effort and creative energy to build something that will only stand for a week or so, just because it feels right to come together and celebrate, is really powerful for me.

Glastonbury is obviously streets ahead in terms of it's size and history. We'll argue on here til the cows come home about who should and shouldn't be on the line-up, but as long as it stays true to the basics, it's hard to see how it'll lose that special something.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure where to start. From the moment I set foot on that grass, everyone seems happier, friendlier, kinder...and I can feel it in myself too. I have had some amazing moments over the years with people I never caught the name of. It's how I wish real life was! 

There is so much to see and do that it truly takes you away from life on the outside. I don't think about work or worries from over the fence. You can't even get a signal on your phone so I leave the other world behind. Its a rare opportunity to really cut off from things.

I'm not saying it is easy. The sheer exhaustion of being on that high for almost a week has left me physically and emotionally in tatters. I don't come back feeling refreshed. But it is always worth it. 

3 minutes ago, Larraht said:

I'm not sure where to start. From the moment I set foot on that grass, everyone seems happier, friendlier, kinder...and I can feel it in myself too. I have had some amazing moments over the years with people I never caught the name of. It's how I wish real life was! 

There is so much to see and do that it truly takes you away from life on the outside. I don't think about work or worries from over the fence. You can't even get a signal on your phone so I leave the other world behind. Its a rare opportunity to really cut off from things.

I'm not saying it is easy. The sheer exhaustion of being on that high for almost a week has left me physically and emotionally in tatters. I don't come back feeling refreshed. But it is always worth it. 

Yeah, isn't it weird how you feel so relaxed and then so knackered!?

I've wondered about this and why it feels like it does. I think there is an element of people being more chilled and nice to each other because people are chilled and nice in return (generally) rather than wanting to screw you over at every possible opportunity, sort of a virtuous circle. There is also, for me, the break from reality that should in fact be our reality. The only other place I've been to that made me feel remotely the same was a Buddhist retreat in Scotland but that was a bit lacking in entertainment 🙂