Who are you hoping for in 2023?

LinvoyPrimus

1 minute ago, willgooneday said:

I mean statistically a large number of them are. 

Statistically a large number of the people at Glasto 2023 were 8 in 1993… If the avg age of 38 is to be believed. 

On the ground though, I’d say that statistically a large number of attendees this year weren’t born in 93!!! 

It’s not 1993, 2000 or even 2010 anymore… Things have moved on, the festival knows this, and they move with the times… 

1 minute ago, lebenski said:

Lighthouse Family

Slipknot

Where on earth would you put Slipknot at Glasto? There used to headlining outright and are highly unlikely to want the 'legends' spot as a band that is still very much in their prime. Other stage headliner as a alternative to one of the poppier headliners? 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

Statistically a large number of the people at Glasto 2023 were 8 in 1993… If the avg age of 38 is to be believed. 

On the ground though, I’d say that statistically a large number of attendees this year weren’t born in 93!!! 

It’s not 1993, 2000 or even 2010 anymore… Things have moved on, the festival knows this, and they move with the times… 

Is it really that low, it looked about 80 from the TV coverage. Things have obviously moved in, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a place for guitar bands. I think if Download booked no guitar orientated rock music at the very top it would be a sad year. 

Edited by willgooneday

Just now, willgooneday said:

Where on earth would you put Slipknot at Glasto? There used to headlining outright and are highly unlikely to want the 'legends' spot as a band that is still very much in their prime. Other stage headliner as a alternative to one of the poppier headliners? 

Haha my comment was tongue-in-cheek.  That said the Other Stage would be the only plausible spot for Slipknot.  Lighthouse on West Holts.  Jobs a goodun.

7 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

You really think the people who went to see The Black Crowes in 1993, Primal Scream in 1998, David Bowie in 2000 or Gorillaz in 2010 are going to be lapping up a Taylor Swift / Harry Styles / Arctic Monkeys billing. 

I really don’t know what this argument is trying to say.  
Black Crowes probably touring next year though, so both camps could be happy…

Just now, willgooneday said:

Is it really that low, it looked about 80 from the TV coverage. 

There were way more youngsters there at the weekend than I expected when I read that avg age before… WAY more. The vast majority of people are under 35 I reckon, by some margin. But, there is still a good amount of older folk too, enough for anyone not to feel out of place. 

Were you by any chance only watching guitar bands? 

Just now, lebenski said:

Haha my comment was tongue-in-cheek.  That said the Other Stage would be the only plausible spot for Slipknot.  Lighthouse on West Holts.  Jobs a goodun.

I'd love to see them booked as a headliner, but we're probably years beyond that being realistic now. They're rumoured to headline Download next year again anyway (which they love playing) so... (the two festivals have never shared a headliner)

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I really don’t know what this argument is trying to say.  
Black Crowes probably touring next year though, so both camps could be happy…

The festival has been touted for generations as the greatest rock festival in the country, in the past few years it's decided to become an out and out pop festival. That's fine, but don't pretend it's not going to stop a lot of people going - a lot of older folk used to post here about how great it was that Glastonbury line-ups catered to old and young - if you stop booking guitar bands from the 90s/00s in premium slots and have the likes of a Harry Styles / Taylor Swift / Dave trio as headline the festival is setting it's stall out for years to come. If it goes with something like Arctic Monkeys / Fleetwood Mac / Taylor Swift it's going to be somewhat closer to it's roots. 

I get it'll never be Coldplay / Radiohead / Blur type bands in one year again (as much as I'd love it) but the festival does need to be careful in finding a balance. 

3 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

The festival has been touted for generations as the greatest rock festival in the country, in the past few years it's decided to become an out and out pop festival. That's fine, but don't pretend it's not going to stop a lot of people going - a lot of older folk used to post here about how great it was that Glastonbury line-ups catered to old and young - if you stop booking guitar bands from the 90s/00s in premium slots and have the likes of a Harry Styles / Taylor Swift / Dave trio as headline the festival is setting it's stall out for years to come. If it goes with something like Arctic Monkeys / Fleetwood Mac / Taylor Swift it's going to be somewhat closer to it's roots. 

I get it'll never be Coldplay / Radiohead / Blur type bands in one year again (as much as I'd love it) but the festival does need to be careful in finding a balance. 

I don’t think they’re too worried about ticket sales… Since transitioning to a more diverse lineup ticket demand has sky rocketed to be around 20 people per ticket… I don’t think anybody can argue with that… 

16 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Slipknot doing legends would be so funny. All the old folks at the back watching in horror during people = shit

Get em headlining other though, be awesome

• Upvote 1

The Boss, Anna Calvi, Van the Man just singing a slightly extended version Summertime In England for about an hour, Andrew Bird, Julia Jacklin, Chelsea Wolfe, Distillers

Just some randoms I haven’t seen for a while. I’ve no idea on the odds for each. 

11 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

The festival has been touted for generations as the greatest rock festival in the country, in the past few years it's decided to become an out and out pop festival

always was a pop festival, first one was called pilton pop.