Glastonbury "hacks" 2022

Cheesey

On 6/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, Chip Batch said:

Same. I had a mix of Carling with Tiny Rebel multipacks, but they’re the small cans. Ideally 440ml cans of session IPA would be my preference but they’re at least £2-3 even from supermarkets so it gets expensive. A lot cheaper than buying pints on site, but sometimes you do just want a cold one and get some anyway. Glastonbury is surprisingly still well behind on the craft options. 

My wife follows Brew York on social media and apparently this was available on site.

image.png.6c752a685ff1a29bb3e5b85a4e9548de.png

Did anyone manage to find it, we tried but with no avail.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Quark said:

I get what you mean, but to be able to supply enough beer / cider at a (relatively) reasonable price you're always going to end up having to turn to these bigger options. 

The Brew Bar I went to was selling Brooklyn cans, and yo u also had bars (I think the Bimble and AvaIon?) selling ales and ciders from places like Otter brewery. I think it'll be more about expanding those options alongside the mainstream options tan replacing them.

Yup - Park bar, Cockmill and Taphouse definitely had ales on. Though admittedly not in cans.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

This female obsession with Ibuprofen! Mrs Nal was caning the Nurofen+ this year because her back was a bit sore. Nothing a good 5 min stretch in the morning cant solve imo. 

trunk-rotation-stretch-and-exercise-gif.

HL-01.01.SphinxPose.gif

Half-Kneeling-Hip-Flexor-Stretch.gif

Etc

Or- 

Power ballad yoga at the greenpeace stage 10am every morning. I went one morning as I happened to get an early rise. 

1 hour ago, Talcroft said:

Yup - Park bar, Cockmill and Taphouse definitely had ales on. Though admittedly not in cans.

I think every bar I went in had real ale - the only one I can think of that didn't was Spike which only sold cocktails and the John Peel bar which ran out on Friday night!  Maybe I just naturally went to ones that were likely to have beer though (I don't have my username for nothing!)

2 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

My wife follows Brew York on social media and apparently this was available on site.

If I had found that I would have bought 24 and drunk them the whole weekend, we had a cool box. 

25 minutes ago, Isaact said:

If I had found that I would have bought 24 and drunk them the whole weekend, we had a cool box. 

That was our plan, ran out of decent cans on Sunday afternoon and the Brew York I took for friends was well received. I was hoping to treat them to more.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, Chip Batch said:

Same. I had a mix of Carling with Tiny Rebel multipacks, but they’re the small cans. Ideally 440ml cans of session IPA would be my preference but they’re at least £2-3 even from supermarkets so it gets expensive. A lot cheaper than buying pints on site, but sometimes you do just want a cold one and get some anyway. Glastonbury is surprisingly still well behind on the craft options. 

Rapidly becoming a convert to Tiny Rebel. Sainsburys doing a 4 beer 8 can selection box atm, lovely for summer.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, essjay2009 said:

Not sure I’d classify these as hacks, but a few toilet related hints from someone whose bladder really doesn’t like alcohol but whose owner does...

On The Other Stage, the toilets at the back get rammed, often 10+ people deep. Walk past them, parallel to the railway track for 30 seconds and there’s a second batch of toilets there that rarely have queues. I walked straight in to them when the other batch had massive queues. It’s particularly confusing given you can see the second batch of toilets from the first batch, but I’m not complaining. They also tend to be cleaner and even had toilet roll in them when I visited Saturday afternoon.

Similar at John Peel. The toilets near the Woods are always rammed but the toilets in the woods are almost always empty (other than when there’s loads of people moving from Pyramid to JP). They’re less than a minute apart.

And a slightly less efficient one, the Block9 toilets are always deserted in the day. You can now get to them very easily from Avalon, which means they’re not that far away from West Holts. When TLC were on I found it much much quicker to walk through the Latino area, through Avalon, and in to Block9 to use the facilities than to literally fight my way through the massive queues at either the rear West Holts toilets or the ones near Glasto Latino. I had it as a three minute walk from West Holts to Block 9 (and then another 10 minutes fighting through the crowd to get back to your spot, but you’d have to do that either way).

And one which I’m sure has been shared before (hey, I’m new), is that Peebols are a life saver. They’re little bags you pee in to that turns your pee in to a jelly, so you can just throw them away. Each bag can be used multiple times and hold a litre of urine. Indispensable in the tent at night.

Next time from west holts, keep on that main road, don't go to Avalon  past medical centre and to hedge, turn right IICON and toilets there, bit quicker

Apart from the obvious (putting cans under the groundsheet of your tent during the day so they don't become boiling hot, etc) - the legend slot is your time to go to that food stall you always fancied but had huge queues, have a sit down with a proper meal somewhere quiet, do/take whatever you need to get you through the final lap, maybe go on the longdrop trip you've been postponing for days...

The legend is a touring act that you'd have been to see already if you were that fussed before and/or is playing everywhere else next week if you want to see them. Have a decent meal instead. 

On 6/29/2022 at 1:24 PM, Larraht said:

Stick the latch through your backpack straps too to hold up your bag! 

Or just put a carabiner on the haul loop. Can then clip it on fences and at front stage barriers. Useful when ground is muddy.

On 6/29/2022 at 4:00 PM, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Agreed. Definitely don’t hover! This contributes to them being so disgusting. 

Men pissing in long drops when there are urinals is utterly bemusing but this year the only time I saw piss covered seats was going in after women. They presumably think that "hovering" or standing on the side and squatting is a good idea. How fucking hard is it to work this out? Just sit down like normal and it's impossible to get piss or shit on the seat. If some twat has pissed on the seat choose a different one or clean it up and sit down like a civilised human.

If we can convince people that hovering is never acceptable we instantly cut out 99% of shit-covered seats. 

On 6/29/2022 at 3:11 PM, The Nal said:

Wetting toilet paper a tad before putting it on the seat so it doesn't blow away. Just a blot. 

What on earth is the deranged logic behind doing that? If the seat is dirty then clean it and you can sit on it. Why would you want to sit on a precarious construction of toilet roll that you then need to pick up and bin afterwards?

On 6/29/2022 at 3:23 PM, alibear said:

Also, self-inflating mattresses piss all over air beds. My body has also felt MUCH better afterwards the two previous times I've used mine.

Trust me, both are trash. Just get a standard UL air mat by Exped/TAR/Nemo/Klymit. The design concept of "self-inflating" is absolute snake oil.

On 6/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, Cheesey said:

I take a real pillow, but it's a specially bought shit thin pillow that rolls up into a sensible size. Still significantly better than an inflatable pillow IMO though. You can even fold it in half for a luxurious "two pillow" feeling.

Just use a roll-vacuum bag. Real duck feather pillow compresses incredibly small.

9 hours ago, Isaact said:

Absolutely essential, especially given the total lack of any independent or craft beer options anywhere on site, which was a total disappointment.

I've already emailed them about it but if you have time please do so too - it doesn't feel very 'Glasto' that literally all beer on site is from a huge multinational, and nobody even sells independent craft cans.

Strong agree.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

Is this real??

Absolutely love brew York and now I'm fuming I didn't get a can if those were available instead of the piss in the bars

6 hours ago, dulcificum said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Have used "self-inflating" air mats for decades previously. Would never go back.

Yeah, just my experience is the opposite. If you mean the really thin ones I’d agree, but the one I have is about 5” thick and it’s a dream to sleep on.