Glastonbury "hacks" 2022

Cheesey

4 minutes ago, Levitz said:

we had it set up with the poles (a bit like pic 6 but our tent was bigger so didn't cove the whole of the back), so partially over the tent and partially standing awning. we had the large one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tarp-tarp-fresh/_/R-p-312174?mc=8572388(was £20 as a second life product - I think) but they do an extra large too

To add - it was really easy to set up as well, I was a bit worried taking it having never used it or a tarp before but it was a doddle

Cool, will take a proper look. Did you manage to get enough space for the straps to actually hold it taut as well? That looks the biggest issue to me.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Cool, will take a proper look. Did you manage to get enough space for the straps to actually hold it taut as well? That looks the biggest issue to me.

Yep, it didn't need much room at all (though we were in Baileys IDK what Pennards etc would be like). It has little tightening 'clips' like on a rucksack so you just pull down on those, worked a treat. got loosened a bit with the wind but just rechecked it/retightened it as necessary. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Yep, it didn't need much room at all (though we were in Baileys IDK what Pennards etc would be like). It has little tightening 'clips' like on a rucksack so you just pull down on those, worked a treat. got loosened a bit with the wind but just rechecked it/retightened it as necessary. 

Sweet, cheers. Got Beautiful Days in August, might end up getting myself one for that.

• Like 1

1. If you are a family with three phones and need them to meet up, take 2 x 20'000 Anker power banks. Just one got us until Saturday and I'd rather pay another £20 before the festival than lose all that time queueing in the EE recharge place. Or worse still, buy one of those ghastly 5'000 EE ones that you are supposed to be able to swap, only to find they have none left.

2. Make sure your phone (or your festival phone) is with EE. Signal and data was amazing. Phone on O2 would hardly ever work (signal or data)

16 hours ago, Rambo88 said:

Took a Coleman Extreme Coolbox, used 500ml frozen water bottles to transfer to daypack and had cold craft beers all weekend. 

Absolutely essential, especially given the total lack of any independent or craft beer options anywhere on site, which was a total disappointment.

I've already emailed them about it but if you have time please do so too - it doesn't feel very 'Glasto' that literally all beer on site is from a huge multinational, and nobody even sells independent craft cans.

21 hours ago, Levitz said:

Me too. Clean the seat of pee. Sit on the seat like a normal person. Leave it tidy for the next in the queue. 

Exactly this. Feels like a treat when you go into one that doesn't need a wipe down before you use it 🤣

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Absolutely essential, especially given the total lack of any independent or craft beer options anywhere on site, which was a total disappointment.

I've already emailed them about it but if you have time please do so too - it doesn't feel very 'Glasto' that literally all beer on site is from a huge multinational, and nobody even sells independent craft cans.

I get what you mean, but to be able to supply enough beer / cider at a (relatively) reasonable price you're always going to end up having to turn to these bigger options. 

The Brew Bar I went to was selling Brooklyn cans, and yo u also had bars (I think the Bimble and AvaIon?) selling ales and ciders from places like Otter brewery. I think it'll be more about expanding those options alongside the mainstream options tan replacing them.

1 hour ago, JoBalls said:

Ibuprofen at 8pm to massively help with achey feet during the headliners, especially if you’ve been standing up all day and then they’re on for three hours…😂

This female obsession with Ibuprofen! Mrs Nal was caning the Nurofen+ this year because her back was a bit sore. Nothing a good 5 min stretch in the morning cant solve imo. 

trunk-rotation-stretch-and-exercise-gif.

HL-01.01.SphinxPose.gif

Half-Kneeling-Hip-Flexor-Stretch.gif

Etc

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UEF said:

I don't know if this counts as a hack or an anti-hack, but there's something incredibly odd about watching hipsters queue up for 'water refill points' when there are taps everywhere going begging... that literally are supplied by the same water.

The one on the left side of Other is far far far nearer than any water point. A 5 minute queue at this would be quicker than going to the nearest toilet tap (and thats if there is no queue!)

51 minutes ago, Quark said:

I get what you mean, but to be able to supply enough beer / cider at a (relatively) reasonable price you're always going to end up having to turn to these bigger options. 

The Brew Bar I went to was selling Brooklyn cans, and yo u also had bars (I think the Bimble and AvaIon?) selling ales and ciders from places like Otter brewery. I think it'll be more about expanding those options alongside the mainstream options tan replacing them.

Pretty sure Carlsberg owns the right to Brooklyn in Europe, so I'd hardly call that craft or independent either!

I appreciate that it'd need to be more expensive, but that's fine. 

Just around Glastonbury you have Verdant, Wild Beer Co, Black Flag, Moor, Left Handed Giant, Arbor, Fierce and Noble, Lost and Grounded, and Wiper and True. 

I appreciate that none of these alone is big enough to service a festival like Glastonbury, but why on earth weren't cans from all of them available at any of the craft beer bars?

It was a total joke that even the 'brew bar' didn't offer anything independent at all.

Edited by Isaact
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UEF said:

I don't know if this counts as a hack or an anti-hack, but there's something incredibly odd about watching hipsters queue up for 'water refill points' when there are taps everywhere going begging... that literally are supplied by the same water.

One thing in favour of the Water Aid kiosks is that the staff always ensure there's no contact between the tap and the water bottles. Got drenched a few times by the over-enthusiastic push-button dispenser near gate C!

12 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Pretty sure Carlsberg owns the right to Brooklyn in Europe, so I'd hardly call that craft or independent either!

Just around Glastonbury you have Verdant, Wild Beer Co, Black Flag, Moor, Left Handed Giant, Arbor, Fierce and Noble, Lost and Grounded, and Wiper and True. 

I appreciate that none of these alone is big enough to service a festival like Glastonbury, but why on earth weren't cans from all of them available at any of the craft beer bars?

It was a total joke that even the 'brew bar' didn't offer anything independent at all.

my previous bastion of craft independence was pints cans of Arbor at the Unfairground bar, but this year they were only at the Broke Britain staff bar round the side, and they ran out by sat morning . . . 

23 hours ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Second time using a decathlon air bed, absolute game changer. 10 cm SIM on top.

I was looking at this before Glasto but wasn't sure it was worth the £70.  After my hip started playing up at Glasto and seeing your comment I've made up my mind and purchased it for Noisily. 

42 minutes ago, gfa said:

The one on the left side of Other is far far far nearer than any water point. A 5 minute queue at this would be quicker than going to the nearest toilet tap (and thats if there is no queue!)

I was thinking more the left side of Park, where there's both a water aid (massive queues) and the aforementioned taps going begging

Edited by UEF

1 hour ago, Isaact said:

one problem i believe is that the independent's cant supply in the quantities needed for glasto.

20 minutes ago, Neil said:

one problem i believe is that the independent's cant supply in the quantities needed for glasto.

Makes sense. I guess one way for it to be viable would be one or two bars along the line of Brew Bars with a range of craft cans, and when they're gone they're gone maybe?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, just get crates of cans and stock them at the Brew Bars, and when they are gone they are gone.

I didn't mean have the independents as the only beer available or anything.

They'd presumably be more expensive so wouldn't sell as fast as the mass market beers anyway.

Edited by Isaact

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Makes sense. I guess one way for it to be viable would be one or two bars along the line of Brew Bars with a range of craft cans, and when they're gone they're gone maybe?

people want to get draft from a bar, not cans.

Just now, Neil said:

Generally true (and I'm one of them) but more thinking that it could work as a single (or maybe two) dedicated bars for craft beer that sell cans?  Not suggesting it would work in the main bars, that would be nuts.

21 minutes ago, Neil said:

Rubbish, loads of people bought the Brooklyn cans.

Cans are great, firstly because they are actually fresher than draft, secondly because if you're going in the pit / setting up camp for a few bands you can buy a handful and not have to keep going back to the bar.

I bought that 4 for £20 brothers cans deal several times whilst I was there.

If you stocked a few of the bars with craft beer cans they would definitely sell - as was proven by the fact the Arbor cans sold out at the Unfairground crew bar by Saturday!

Edited by Isaact

6 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Rubbish, loads of people bought the Brooklyn cans.

Cans are great, firstly because they are actually fresher than draft, secondly because if you're going in the pit / setting up camp for a few bands you can buy a handful and not have to keep going back to the bar.

I bought that 4 for £20 brothers cans deal several times whilst I was there.

If you stocked a few of the bars with craft beer cans they would definitely sell - as was proven by the fact the Arbor cans sold out at the Unfairground crew bar by Saturday!

I kinda resent paying through the nose for a can though. I would always rather draft, cans feel like you're being stiffed. 

Edited by Levitz