Glastonbury "hacks" 2022

Cheesey

Also made a last-minute switch to a summer-weight sleeping bag. That worked really well. On one of the colder nights I had to put the hood bit up, but so worth it to not wake-up sweating. Much lighter/smaller to pack and carry too.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking-sleeping-bag-mt500-15-c-polyester/_/R-p-313095?mc=8576293

2 minutes ago, jimbo_l said:

Strong agree. Had a dry-run with an inflatable. Could not get on with it at all. Grabbed one of these last minute - perfect!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-pillow-ultim-comfort/_/R-p-335452?mc=8666746

If you’re gonna take a real pillow (I do!), take a 100% down one. They roll up really small, but fluff back up nicely! (I also take a camping pillow as I like more than one). Super comfy sleep all week! It’s a hard yes from me on the self-inflating mat too, switched to them many moons ago. Definite game changer for both comfort and warmth. 

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

If you’re gonna take a real pillow (I do!), take a 100% down one. They roll up really small, but fluff back up nicely! (I also take a camping pillow as I like more than one). Super comfy sleep all week! It’s a hard yes from me on the self-inflating mat too, switched to them many moons ago. Definite game changer for both comfort and warmth. 

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out!

Self inflating foam mattress (thick one), proper pillow (in vacuum bag), mack’s silicone ear-plugs, comfortable eye-mask, light sleeping bag + extra blanket if needed. 

Wype. 

Carabiner for clipping extra things to bag or for hanging stuff. 

Have torch/light(s) with a red light setting so it doesn’t wake you up too much or blind people. AND please stop using torches to get around when it’s perfectly easy to let your eyes adjust to the dark (kept getting blinded by this!)

30 minutes ago, jimbo_l said:

Strong agree. Had a dry-run with an inflatable. Could not get on with it at all. Grabbed one of these last minute - perfect!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-pillow-ultim-comfort/_/R-p-335452?mc=8666746

Got a tiny pump/light recommended on here and some vac packs. Vac packed a pillow each and used the pump to redo them for the journey home. Worked a treat. And made THE biggest difference to the quality of sleep 

4 hours ago, Cheesey said:

I take a real pillow, but it's a specially bought shit thin pillow that rolls up into a sensible size. Still significantly better than an inflatable pillow IMO though. You can even fold it in half for a luxurious "two pillow" feeling.

Ah now this sounds interesting - do you have a link? My air pillow was purely a practical purchase for the train, and had a valve where I could let air out to soften it so wasn't as bad as it could've been. But what you have sounds like a good middle ground for Kendal Calling where I'll be carrying less overall!

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, rubenz said:

It is very odd, as soon as I drink the water on site I get stomach pains/cramps and when I move to bottled/canned water it sorts itself out. Have been experiencing this for several years. 

This is before I have started hammering the beers and spicy food so convinced it is something to do with the water. 

Are you from the north/Scotland? You might be completely used to soft water, it’s hard as hell down here and some people have issues with the ‘wrong’ type (not me, I live down south and am used to really hard water and I love the soft stuff when I’m up north, I could drink pints of it quite happily!) 

58 minutes ago, jimbo_l said:

Also made a last-minute switch to a summer-weight sleeping bag. That worked really well. On one of the colder nights I had to put the hood bit up, but so worth it to not wake-up sweating. Much lighter/smaller to pack and carry too.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking-sleeping-bag-mt500-15-c-polyester/_/R-p-313095?mc=8576293

Thanks - saves me a search! I was sweating absolute buckets on the last night in my 3-4 season one and the mornings were not pleasant despite it not being that hot really this time. It was all I could get last minute (as in next day delivery) last year ahead of Latitude when I forgot I'd thrown my old one, and I then forgot I'd got such a hot one til I tried sleeping in it last week! 

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ah now this sounds interesting - do you have a link? My air pillow was purely a practical purchase for the train, and had a valve where I could let air out to soften it so wasn't as bad as it could've been. But what you have sounds like a good middle ground for Kendal Calling where I'll be carrying less overall!

I've had it for years (it's probably mostly dust mites by now 😬) and I honestly can't remember where I got it, sorry.

It's certainly not designed specifically for camping - it's just a shit thin pillow. The sort of thing you'd be quite pissed off to find in a hotel bed. I think it was probably from somewhere like Asda or Sainsburys, or maybe even Bewise.

Top things I did this year were:

Clipping a Carabiner onto my belt to hang my water bottle from (next time gonna get a soft collapsible bottle instead if a rigid one though!)

Use my beanie hat stuffed with my fleece for my pillow (stupidly comfortable for how simple it is!)

Have rehydration salts before and after sleeping - meant no cramp and little hangover! 

Take a camping stove and coffee/tea/porridge for mornings 

Take fireball whiskey - great for sore throats and getting drunk! 

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Are you from the north/Scotland? You might be completely used to soft water, it’s hard as hell down here and some people have issues with the ‘wrong’ type (not me, I live down south and am used to really hard water and I love the soft stuff when I’m up north, I could drink pints of it quite happily!) 

No I live in Bristol so I guess it's the same water. It's a bit of a mystery why the glasto water doesn't agree with me! 

1 hour ago, rubenz said:

No I live in Bristol so I guess it's the same water. It's a bit of a mystery why the glasto water doesn't agree with me! 

I remember a few years back the water used to have loads of chlorine in it, to the point where it was practically undrinkable until it had been left out in the sun for a few hours in a clear bottle. Seems to taste pretty normal to me nowadays though.

29 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

I remember a few years back the water used to have loads of chlorine in it, to the point where it was practically undrinkable until it had been left out in the sun for a few hours in a clear bottle. Seems to taste pretty normal to me nowadays though.

I take one of those super concentrated orange squash squeeze things, makes the water taste much better and weighs next to nothing. 

43 minutes ago, gfa said:

ping us a message eh? 😉 

Ditto haha 

Not so much a hack really, but whoever started the Fresh and Black hype on here forever has my gratitude and love. Those few extra hours each morning really were a gamechanger after finishing up at 6/7am most nights. I've never been one for buying nice tents (as I hate camping) but I can safely say that was one of the best purchases I've made! 

We didn't have a fresh and black, but we did pick up a decathlon seconds 'fresh' tarp which we put over the tent and also had as an awning, for a little outside area. Was amazing and very small/light ton carry. 

Haven't got a posh tent but did invest in a contour eye mask from Superdrug, tried the standard ones before but find the pressure on my eyes / eyelashes too weird.

Absolute game changer for me, had probably the best sleep I've ever had at a festival. Helped by the temperatures not being too bad (think Thursday morning was the only one that felt oppressive) but did an A1 job of keeping me in the dark.

I don't know if this counts as a hack or an anti-hack, but there's something incredibly odd about watching hipsters queue up for 'water refill points' when there are taps everywhere going begging... that literally are supplied by the same water.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Levitz said:

We didn't have a fresh and black, but we did pick up a decathlon seconds 'fresh' tarp which we put over the tent and also had as an awning, for a little outside area. Was amazing and very small/light ton carry. 

Just looked that up, you have my attention.  Did you have it fully set up, or just laid over the tent as an extra layer?

Just now, UEF said:

I don't know if this counts as a hack or an anti-hack, but there's something incredibly odd about watching hipsters queue up for 'water refill points' when there are taps everywhere going begging... that literally are supplied by the same water.

Yeah, the number of times I saw a huge queue for a water tap at the toilets and the sinks remaining completely unused absolutely baffled me. Hardly ever had to queue for water.

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just looked that up, you have my attention.  Did you have it fully set up, or just laid over the tent as an extra layer?

we had it set up with the poles (a bit like pic 6 but our tent was bigger so didn't cove the whole of the back), so partially over the tent and partially standing awning. we had the large one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tarp-tarp-fresh/_/R-p-312174?mc=8572388(was £20 as a second life product - I think) but they do an extra large too

To add - it was really easy to set up as well, I was a bit worried taking it having never used it or a tarp before but it was a doddle

Edited by Levitz