Glastonbury "hacks" 2022

Cheesey

2 hours ago, alibear said:

Also, self-inflating mattresses piss all over air beds. My body has also felt MUCH better afterwards the two previous times I've used mine.

It was the opposite way round for me, iv always used a self inflating mattress in the past, but this year i went for an air bed and its the best nights sleep ive ever had at a festival, maybe its because my old self inflating mattress was too thin but for me, the new airbed was a game changer

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Wetting toilet paper a tad before putting it on the seat so it doesn't blow away. Just a blot. 

I had an absolute nightmare at John Peel on sunday when it was windy. wish i knew this, spent about 5 minutes trying to get a ring setup😂

1 hour ago, offmytrolley said:

The time-honoured carabiner trick for quickly sticking bags onto long-drop locks.

Some chunky glowsticks for putting on top of any piles of bags on the floor once it gets twilighty and people are (fairly enough) likely to trip over them if they can't see them:

image.png.593e6d9d895e3fa1d22dbb35da8bc95a.png

(bring enough and bring string for everyone in your group to wear around their necks later on, fun in the SEC, and it makes it way easier to find people in crowds at night)

Medium sized blue IKEA bags for organising your tent's storage, packing cubes of clothes in one, toiletries in another, party bits in another etc.

These eBay/AliExpress pumps that attach to a standard fizzy drink/mixer bottle for showering (you can adjust the nozzle to be a mist or a jet):

image.thumb.png.469e9edfa199a096d03b585ff94f0076.png

These AliExpress hooks are perfect for clicking onto the fibreglass loops/poles of Quechua pop-up tents to attach things like solar powered lights, bunting etc:

image.thumb.png.1f5eef73003df4137b99e2e78646b24d.png

drop the ali express links!

2 hours ago, alibear said:

I did both of these - I think I discovered them here!

My main tip is to take a pair of Merrell trainers - I got these and they're a god send. https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/alpine-sneaker/044213227168.html?istCompanyId=535f0b58-4f84-4415-ace8-9f61fb1a7e74&istFeedId=44e6cfa1-83d0-49ff-b3ef-c9e12baa191c&istItemId=iqaimqtaq&istBid=t&cid=PPC-MERR-UK--_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bPAu-zS-AIVUaHVCh3eyQGTEAkYBiABEgL-kfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds They're water resistant (only tested when I walked through the long, dewey grass in the morning, but still) and super comfy. I wore them all five days and my feet are absolutely fine, even after treading on those massive stones and shards of wood - it's also the first year I didn't come back with the annoying Glastonbury Toe! 

Also, self-inflating mattresses piss all over air beds. My body has also felt MUCH better afterwards the two previous times I've used mine.

Neither are cheap, but if you can get them sometime ahead of next year you won't regret it.

Do you use a roll mat and a self inflating mattress? Probably a stupid question. could you link the one you have, seems some are over £100!

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I've somehow managed to work out how to hold a can between my teeth when having a wee. Have been doing that with pint cups for years but somehow seem to have acquired that skill.

Me too - I hold beer cans in my teeth by the ring pull when using the urinals. Not very comfortable when it's nearly full, but I'm not aware of any viable alternatives.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Wetting toilet paper a tad before putting it on the seat so it doesn't blow away. Just a blot. 

Another top tip: if you put a ring of bog roll on the seat before using the loo, TAKE IT OFF AFTERWARDS! Don't leave it there for the next person to find.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

One of my own is a tiny inflatable pillow. We used to take real ones, which was mad really.

I take a real pillow, but it's a specially bought shit thin pillow that rolls up into a sensible size. Still significantly better than an inflatable pillow IMO though. You can even fold it in half for a luxurious "two pillow" feeling.

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

See also the ones by Ped Gate C / Astrolabe. Sparkly fresh all weekend - and soap at the sinks!

We spent a lot of time in the T&C fields with our kids this year and we discovered those toilets too. They're basically hidden behind the Astrolabe so very easy to miss.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alvoram said:

It's not worse, it's terrible, but it's definitely not worse than Carlsberg... Probably why it's the UK's best selling lager, given it's slightly more expensive than Carlsberg too. 

When it comes to lagers there are tiers of shite and carlsberg is at the top...

from worst to best... 

Carlsberg - Tennants - Skol

Carling - Fosters

Coors light - Bud Light - Corona

San Miguel - Heineken - Kronenbourg - Amstel

Birra Moretti - Peroni

* This list is by no means exhaustive.  

P.s feel free to share your own tiers 🙂 Could be fun. 

Could not agree more with that list.

My mates Dad gave me a room temp can of Skol when I was about 16. It was a fucking disgrace. Nursed it for about 3 hours.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Do you use a roll mat and a self inflating mattress? Probably a stupid question. could you link the one you have, seems some are over £100!

Just a self inflating mattress. I got something like this: https://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/outwell-dreamboat-double-self-inflating-mat-12cm.html

...but it DEFINITELY didn't cost anywhere near that much when I bought it in 2019!

So I discovered that taking nurofen can temporarily stop your feet hurting after walking about all day. Gave me a new lease of life into the early hours I can tell you! 

Also stopped drinking the tap water as it gives me stomach pains. This was a bit of a game changer but meant I spent loads on water cans! 

They say it's the same drinking water you get at home but it seems to have something in it that disagrees with me. 

16 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Also stopped drinking the tap water as it gives me stomach pains. This was a bit of a game changer but meant I spent loads on water cans! 

They say it's the same drinking water you get at home but it seems to have something in it that disagrees with me. 

My mate has been setting up the taps across site, it all comes from the same main water source you get out of any taps in the Somerset/Bristol area, there's no special water source or additives

As I’ve stopped drinking to excess, I don’t have that natural painkiller of a stack of pints in me that stops me feeling my battered legs and feet at midnight after walking/standing all day: so after headliners I’d go to a food stall and smash down something big and sweet, cake or ice cream, to cover my maladies with sugar: it worked a treat 

Took a Coleman Extreme Coolbox, used 500ml frozen water bottles to transfer to daypack and had cold craft beers all weekend. 

Bought a battery operated shower, with a portable bucket, added boiling water to have a hot shower each morning. Helped massively with the hangovers!

30 minutes ago, prestonmike said:

My mate has been setting up the taps across site, it all comes from the same main water source you get out of any taps in the Somerset/Bristol area, there's no special water source or additives

It is very odd, as soon as I drink the water on site I get stomach pains/cramps and when I move to bottled/canned water it sorts itself out. Have been experiencing this for several years. 

This is before I have started hammering the beers and spicy food so convinced it is something to do with the water. 

3 hours ago, Cheesey said:

I take a real pillow, but it's a specially bought shit thin pillow that rolls up into a sensible size. Still significantly better than an inflatable pillow IMO though. You can even fold it in half for a luxurious "two pillow" feeling.

Strong agree. Had a dry-run with an inflatable. Could not get on with it at all. Grabbed one of these last minute - perfect!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-pillow-ultim-comfort/_/R-p-335452?mc=8666746