Glastonbury "hacks" 2022

Cheesey

Walking on to the stonebridge entrance to the park and dropping in on the left of the ribbon town rather than getting stuck in traffic at the bottom of the area.

Even bette, if going from pyramid to park and anticipating a rush - ie DiRo to Jack White - watch from the left of the pyramid field and go via west holts and the healing fields. You’ll blitz those going via other and main park entrance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

This confuses me. Are women's noses too delicate for long drops? 

No but we do have to spend much more time in toilets in general. 

My top hack for this year was get Covid as then the toilets didn’t smell too bad on the Sunday at all. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

No but we do have to spend much more time in toilets in general. 

My top hack for this year was get Covid as then the toilets didn’t smell too bad on the Sunday at all. 

Dunno, I was in there for a while on Friday morning...

27 minutes ago, alibear said:

I did both of these - I think I discovered them here!

My main tip is to take a pair of Merrell trainers - I got these and they're a god send. https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/alpine-sneaker/044213227168.html?istCompanyId=535f0b58-4f84-4415-ace8-9f61fb1a7e74&istFeedId=44e6cfa1-83d0-49ff-b3ef-c9e12baa191c&istItemId=iqaimqtaq&istBid=t&cid=PPC-MERR-UK--_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bPAu-zS-AIVUaHVCh3eyQGTEAkYBiABEgL-kfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds They're water resistant (only tested when I walked through the long, dewey grass in the morning, but still) and super comfy. I wore them all five days and my feet are absolutely fine, even after treading on those massive stones and shards of wood - it's also the first year I didn't come back with the annoying Glastonbury Toe! 

Also, self-inflating mattresses piss all over air beds. My body has also felt MUCH better afterwards the two previous times I've used mine.

Neither are cheap, but if you can get them sometime ahead of next year you won't regret it.

Hard agree on self inflating mattress. We usually take a double camp bed and whilst I thought that was God tier compared to air beds, it has nothing on our new bergaus self inflating mattress. We brought a sheet, pillows and proper duvet and it was the perfect bed for the night. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

But every time a woman goes to the toilet it’s longer whereas for men it’s only certain visits 😂

I try and have a little tidy up in there if I'm honest! I usually use a few tissues to clean the seat as I don't like to hover...if you head in after me, it'll be worth the wait! 

3 minutes ago, Larraht said:

I try and have a little tidy up in there if I'm honest! I usually use a few tissues to clean the seat as I don't like to hover...if you head in after me, it'll be worth the wait! 

I'll hover for a wee but can't do it for a no.2, a fist full of tissue to wipe the seat beforehand is a necessity if nature calls!

5 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Hard agree on self inflating mattress. We usually take a double camp bed and whilst I thought that was God tier compared to air beds, it has nothing on our new bergaus self inflating mattress. We brought a sheet, pillows and proper duvet and it was the perfect bed for the night. 

Yep. I'm thinking of getting a camp bed as well for next year. I might test it out soon, actually!

Agreed. Definitely don’t hover! This contributes to them being so disgusting. 

• Like 2

Snap. My proudest moment this weekend is someone from loo crew going into a toilet I had just come out of and walking straight back out and giving me a thumbs up. If everyone realised that they weren’t special and just sat down and wiped the seats after they had gone to the loo they wouldn’t be the big deal they are in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

But every time a woman goes to the toilet it’s longer whereas for men it’s only certain visits 😂

Bring back the wateraid female urinals! The new squats in the stone circle had a longer queue than the composts 

Edited by Wherethewildthingsare

2 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

The “women” bit relates to the second  sentence! Third good for everyone. A peg would also work

Ah, that makes a bit more sense! Although probably not helped by the fact that I honestly don't find them that bad!

Actually have to say that I didn't come across a bad one all weekend. Even the urinals weren't as full of cups as usual. Either people are better or the loo crews were absolutely on fire. Or both.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah, that makes a bit more sense! Although probably not helped by the fact that I honestly don't find them that bad!

Actually have to say that I didn't come across a bad one all weekend. Even the urinals weren't as full of cups as usual. Either people are better or the loo crews were absolutely on fire. Or both.

The ammonia makes my eyes water! They did seem better than usual for a dry year. Sheepee all the way

2 hours ago, Cheesey said:

I know there was a thread for this kind of thing back in 2019 that runs to 40+ pages, but did anyone discover any new tricks this year for making life at Glastonbury a little bit easier?

I've been going for 25 years but only this year did I find that beer cans fit perfectly on the hooks that lock long-drop doors. Obviously it would be better not to take your drink into the bogs at all, but when you have no choice this certainly beats putting it on the floor or on the ledge next to the toilet seat 🤢

image.thumb.jpeg.932422da6ddf8e3ec2e4875dd0fe35c0.jpeg

I've somehow managed to work out how to hold a can between my teeth when having a wee. Have been doing that with pint cups for years but somehow seem to have acquired that skill.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

It's not worse, it's terrible, but it's definitely not worse than Carlsberg... Probably why it's the UK's best selling lager, given it's slightly more expensive than Carlsberg too. 

When it comes to lagers there are tiers of shite and carlsberg is at the top...

from worst to best... 

Carlsberg - Tennants - Skol

Carling - Fosters

Coors light - Bud Light - Corona

San Miguel - Heineken - Kronenbourg - Amstel

Birra Moretti - Peroni

* This list is by no means exhaustive.  

P.s feel free to share your own tiers 🙂 Could be fun. 

I'm almost the same as you, with Estrella added to the second top or maybe top tier.

That's the one for Glastonbury next time for me, I took Moretti and really struggled with it warm, but my friend took Estrella and it tasted much better. 

43 minutes ago, alibear said:

I did both of these - I think I discovered them here!

My main tip is to take a pair of Merrell trainers - I got these and they're a god send. https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/alpine-sneaker/044213227168.html?istCompanyId=535f0b58-4f84-4415-ace8-9f61fb1a7e74&istFeedId=44e6cfa1-83d0-49ff-b3ef-c9e12baa191c&istItemId=iqaimqtaq&istBid=t&cid=PPC-MERR-UK--_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bPAu-zS-AIVUaHVCh3eyQGTEAkYBiABEgL-kfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds They're water resistant (only tested when I walked through the long, dewey grass in the morning, but still) and super comfy. I wore them all five days and my feet are absolutely fine, even after treading on those massive stones and shards of wood - it's also the first year I didn't come back with the annoying Glastonbury Toe! 

Also, self-inflating mattresses piss all over air beds. My body has also felt MUCH better afterwards the two previous times I've used mine.

Neither are cheap, but if you can get them sometime ahead of next year you won't regret it.

Same on the self inflating mattress - game changer. Not just for sleep, but general tent tidiness and ease of moving around. Stuff used to slip down airbeds and trying to find stuff while diving over them was hard. 

One of my own is a tiny inflatable pillow. We used to take real ones, which was mad really.

Another on bulk/carrying was: I found that without a trolley, taking the tent pegs and mallets out the tent bag and putting them into the top of my backpack meant the tent felt much lighter. 

Tipping some ice into a plastic bag, a sturdy M&S one in this case, on top of cans and leaving it for one set at your feet leaves you with cold cans immediately, then you just tip the ice out and put the cans wherever you carry them. No need to just leave them in the tent in a cool box, which we couldn't take due to being on the train this time. 

Think we did it all pretty well this time! Definitely our easiest in terms of carrying etc. Probably helped by our friends in a camper van bringing the cans for us! 

23 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Which one did you get?

22 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Me too. Clean the seat of pee. Sit on the seat like a normal person. Leave it tidy for the next in the queue. 

• Upvote 2

The time-honoured carabiner trick for quickly sticking bags onto long-drop locks.

Some chunky glowsticks for putting on top of any piles of bags on the floor once it gets twilighty and people are (fairly enough) likely to trip over them if they can't see them:

image.png.593e6d9d895e3fa1d22dbb35da8bc95a.png

(bring enough and bring string for everyone in your group to wear around their necks later on, fun in the SEC, and it makes it way easier to find people in crowds at night)

Medium sized blue IKEA bags for organising your tent's storage, packing cubes of clothes in one, toiletries in another, party bits in another etc.

These eBay/AliExpress pumps that attach to a standard fizzy drink/mixer bottle for showering (you can adjust the nozzle to be a mist or a jet):

image.thumb.png.469e9edfa199a096d03b585ff94f0076.png

These AliExpress hooks are perfect for clicking onto the fibreglass loops/poles of Quechua pop-up tents to attach things like solar powered lights, bunting etc:

image.thumb.png.1f5eef73003df4137b99e2e78646b24d.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

This isn't new information, but I was plesantly reminded of it this year - the kindest long-drops on site for the senses are those right by the Acoustic tent. I don't know if it was just serendipitous timing, but they always seemed to be spic and span when I found myself in need of them.

See also the ones by Ped Gate C / Astrolabe. Sparkly fresh all weekend - and soap at the sinks!