Glastonbury 2023 dilemma

prestonmanc

Would you attempt to do Glastonbury and a wedding in the same weekend?!  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Should I go to the festival if it means missing Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon to go to a wedding?

• Yes, that sounds reasonable
    • No, it's too much to squeeze in

Howdy all

After missing out on the festival this year, I've set my sights on next year.  However, I've just been invited to a friend's wedding on the Saturday... in Switzerland!

The groom was my best man, so I'm definitely going to the wedding.  After some despair, I have a potentially ridiculous plan to accommodate both:

Arrive at Glastonbury on Weds
Leave the site late Friday night / very early Saturday
Drive to Bristol airport, fly to Zurich, drive to wedding
Fly back early Sunday, back on site Sunday afternoon.

Simple question - is this too much of a stretch?  Am I being ambitious or delusional?!

Even if your logistics work and the flight schedule remains the same - which is far from guaranteed - you'd be absolutely fucked by the time you got to Zurich and probably end up spending the wedding in your hotel room asleep.

Assuming it goes ahead as scheduled, you need to either bin off the wedding or accept that you're going to miss Glastonbury for a year.

You will kick your self if u get a ticket, it would be so gutting and tiring having to leave, just tell your self your not going, it will be there the year after, plus a waste of a ticket that someone could be enjoying their times of there lives

It's not worth it - honestly I appreciate he was your best man, but if you were that crucial to his plans he'd have run the date by you beforehand. Especially knowing you'd have to travel internationally.

I mean, obviously if you really want to go to the wedding because it'll be a great time then go for it, Glasto can wait, there are other festivals. But don't deny yourself it if you're just doing it out a feeling of duty. You'll end up miserable for the whole thing and potentially resenting your mate for making you miss out.

If you've decided that the wedding takes priority next year then you've got to sit the festival out.

Too much could go wrong, and as others have said, you'll be knackered for the wedding. If a good mate is tying the knot, don't you want to be on top form for their big day?

Edited by jimbo_l

4 hours ago, prestonmanc said:

Howdy all

After missing out on the festival this year, I've set my sights on next year.  However, I've just been invited to a friend's wedding on the Saturday... in Switzerland!

The groom was my best man, so I'm definitely going to the wedding.  After some despair, I have a potentially ridiculous plan to accommodate both:

Arrive at Glastonbury on Weds
Leave the site late Friday night / very early Saturday
Drive to Bristol airport, fly to Zurich, drive to wedding
Fly back early Sunday, back on site Sunday afternoon.

Simple question - is this too much of a stretch?  Am I being ambitious or delusional?!

Yes Delusional. A wedding in Switzerland is a once in a life time Glastonbury will still be there. Don't let you mate down

So all the time before you leave Glast the wedding will be there on your mind and the responsibility of not missing the flight and being straight enough to travel. Then when you are at the wedding part of you will be thinking about what you are missing on site. They are both big occasions and you won't be fully present for either. 

I would choose which is most important (some historic friendships are just that and this could be the opportunity to realise/bow  out) But if the friendship/wedding is most important them give it your all, make it count and make it worth missing Glast for.

Thanks for everyone’s views on this. There may have been a bit of denial / blind optimism is my plans to do both wedding and the festival, but when a community of fellow Glasto fans cautions against it, it’s probably a bad idea!

I’m desperate to get back to the farm for what would be my 11th visit, but it will also be my mate’s first and hopefully only wedding day, so that’s definitely the priority next year.

2024 it is then!

3 minutes ago, prestonmanc said:

Thanks for everyone’s views on this. There may have been a bit of denial / blind optimism is my plans to do both wedding and the festival, but when a community of fellow Glasto fans cautions against it, it’s probably a bad idea!

I’m desperate to get back to the farm for what would be my 11th visit, but it will also be my mate’s first and hopefully only wedding day, so that’s definitely the priority next year.

2024 it is then!

Gutted for you, but I think that it's the right call. You'd have ended up enjoying neither of the things you were at half as much as you should, and without piling on it does take a ticket away from someone who'd be there for the whole shebang.

I had to do similar in 2014, although mine was a pricing issue. My best mate got married in Vegas in 2013, so with that and having done Glastonbury that year as well I was absolutely rinsed. Missed Metallica! But got back the year after and it was all good 🙂

• Like 1

I'm getting grief from the Missus as our grandchild's birthday is on the 21st stating I can't go until the 22nd and that's already causing problems with our ticket buying teams and with choices of glamping, CV, tent etc...

Trying to squeeze in two flights and a wedding with everything that could go wrong sounds like an expensive disaster waiting to happen.

You only need a delayed flight or missed check-in and you're totally knackered - skip 2023 and go large in 2024!