BBC cutting songs from sets...

turricandan

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

same for pet shop boys.

Come on neil it’s time to stop this broken record … they aren’t , or if they are it’s bloody good … can’t notice it on iPlayer which I’m watching now or from right at the front in the field ? Were you watching ? Or have you watched iPlayer ? 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

well..  pretty much everyone on the bbc thread thought she was miming...  so...

I was on the front row and I know her songs pretty well. I can say with absolute certainty that she wasn't miming. As with pretty much any pop musician nowadays, though, she was playing with a backing track which also had vocals on.

She's been doing it throughout the entire tour. I've put it down to the fact that this is the first time she's ever used actual choreography so there's points where she's struggling to dance and sing at the same time.

3 minutes ago, K2SO said:

She 100% wasn't miming, but she was playing with a backing track. She's done that on this entire tour.

Yeah and it’s also what the majority of pop and hip hop acts do and it’s totally normal and accepted.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jparx said:

Yeah and it’s also what the majority of pop and hip hop acts do and it’s totally normal and accepted.

Yeah, exactly. I don't love that they do it, but even live bands have started doing it now so you just have to accept it

47 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Probably is, I'd generally agree with what you're saying tbh. But there are some sets where it actually seems that the lead mic is turned down / off on the recording mix, which definitely wasn't the case live.

The broadcast mix is different to the live mix you hear in the field. They split the signals from mics and instruments on stage, and the broadcast mix is done in a truck backstage, while the front-of-house mix is done in the mixing tower out front.

The FOH mix is usually set up in advance and recalled on the console, so only requires minimal tweaking to sound good. The big festival PA rigs also have huge dynamic range, so it all sounds great when you're actulally there.

Meanwile the broadcast engineer has to get a good mix going with minimal preparation, even on the fly, which is then scrutinised on repeat in a low volume / low dynamic range environment. Not an easy job.

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Pretty new for Glastonbury, in fairness.

Gigs much more about a 'show' than a musical performance these days.

Billie Eilish also guilty, of course.

8 minutes ago, autoinflate said:

The broadcast mix is different to the live mix you hear in the field. They split the signals from mics and instruments on stage, and the broadcast mix is done in a truck backstage, while the front-of-house mix is done in the mixing tower out front.

The FOH mix is usually set up in advance and recalled on the console, so only requires minimal tweaking to sound good. The big festival PA rigs also have huge dynamic range, so it all sounds great when you're actulally there.

Meanwile the broadcast engineer has to get a good mix going with minimal preparation, even on the fly, which is then scrutinised on repeat in a low volume / low dynamic range environment. Not an easy job.

Thanks for confirming that, it's what I'd imagined was happening to be honest, but it's good to know for sure. 

So in actual fact, it's very unlikely the broadcast mix will be identical to the live mix? And if it is, it's sheer coincidence? 

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Come on neil it’s time to stop this broken record … they aren’t , or if they are it’s bloody good … can’t notice it on iPlayer which I’m watching now or from right at the front in the field ? Were you watching ? Or have you watched iPlayer ? 

i saw it on tv on sunday. very boring.

Just now, Alvoram said:

Thanks for confirming that, it's what I'd imagined was happening to be honest, but it's good to know for sure. 

So in actual fact, it's very unlikely the broadcast mix will be identical to the live mix? And if it is, it's sheer coincidence? 

Yes, it's not the same mix at all, so will sound different. The mix engineers have the same overall goal, i.e. a well balanced mix, but they're using totally separate equipment, mixing for completely different environments, with or without a lot of preparation.

16 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Enjoy ✌🏻

Thank you.. I've watched it a few times already on Youtube, but since you've shared it I felt why not watch it again... Bloody brilliant, really could watch it again and again, what a performance, what energy, what a crowd, what a moment!

I knew O-Rod was going to be good, that's why we showed up and found a spot closer to the front than we usually stand, but we didn't know just how good!!! Brilliant. 

36 minutes ago, jparx said:

Jay-Z did it 14 years ago tbf.

OK, not 'new', but overdubbed/layered vocals are still relatively rare at Glastonbury.

As I say, it's a shift from raw peformance to production.

Both have their merits, but the later takes away some of the uniqueness and spontaneity, which is a shame.

I'm reliably informed that Billie Eilish's peformance was very similar to the O2 - but in a field instead of an arena.

(And, yes, there's a difference between miming and overdubbing. I love Charli XCX but that Madrid clip above is shocking)

3 hours ago, incident said:

Pretty sure that most of the cuts being mentioned would have been at the request of the artists (or more accurately, their management). There's always a few..

c**ts are still Running the World is missing from the Jarvis set despite the fact he censored it himself so it wouldn't be.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:08 PM, crazyfool1 said:

It pains me to admit it but Neils right, the whole gig is prerecorded (other than the percussionists), I watched it yesterday and wasn't sure so checked again today, just compare the Glastonbury  gig to the one on youtube from Stockholm, exactly the same vocals, same timing, phrasing etc, I'll give Tennant credit though, he's a pro, I was watching first time yesterday looking for a slip and there was only once he was slightly off.