Rex2

Will covid stop you attending Glasto 23  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Will covid stop you attending Glasto 23

• Yes and I caught covid this time
    • Yes and I haven't got covid yet
    • No and I caught covid this time
    • No and I haven't got covid yet

I'm on the ONS testing programme, do swab and bloods once a month.  Tested the Monday before, tested again yesterday, both clear.  2 jabs, no booster, had it in April, have been showing higher level of antibodies since 2nd jab which was a year ago almost to the day.

I don't think it is fair to say that you are guaranteed to get it at Glastonbury, it's a crapshoot and entirely dependent on your own immune system's ability to fend it off.  For me it was a good test of the theoretical as we would all likely be exposed many times to multiple variants at the festival (BA2,4 and 5 in circulation).  It was my expectation that the vaccine and relatively recent infection would keep me free of it and this proved to be the case.

If you are really concerned, get a booster about 4-6 weeks before the festival.  I'm sure you'll be able to pay for this privately through a pharmacy by that time, if not still available free on the NHS.

11 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

After seeing the covid thread and festivals are seemingly a guaranteed way of catching covid will this put anyone off trying for tickets next year? 

I know what you meant but 'guaranteed' was possibly a poor choice of terms. perhaps something like 'more likely' or something similar. 

Obviously if you put yourself in a small area, with quarter of a million people there, whilst a virus is circulating, you're raising the odds of catching it significantly... But it isn't guaranteed. 

I know you already know this, and just made a poor choice when it comes to terminology, but it's worth mentioning just to be clear. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Depends where you would otherwise be. Being outdoors for 5 days at Glastonbury your chances of catching it are probably lower than working for 5 days indoors at an office.

Unlikely I'd say. Much greater chance of exposure to the virus at a festival with 1000s of people vs an office with a handful of people just due to the numbers involved

4 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

Unlikely I'd say. Much greater chance of exposure to the virus at a festival with 1000s of people vs an office with a handful of people just due to the numbers involved

Length of exposure matters though. Most of those 1000s you're just walking past in the fresh air.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Length of exposure matters though. Most of those 1000s you're just walking past in the fresh air.

So far, from the responses received, it looks like more than 50% of attendees caught it... To my knowledge, that isn't happening at that rate outside of this kind of setting is it? 

For example, when we had an outbreak (Omicron) at my pub, only 30% of Staff caught it. 

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

So far, from the responses received, it looks like more than 50% of attendees caught it... To my knowledge, that isn't happening at that rate outside of this kind of setting is it? 

For example, when we had an outbreak (Omicron) at my pub, only 30% of Staff caught it. 

In your poll of 33 people on a festival site? Most people aren't testing, so won't know if they have it or not. People who did catch it and are testing are much more likely to open a thread about it. And it's still only 50%. I look forward to seeing the extra 125,000 cases appear in the official stats over the next few days then...

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

None of this is unexpected but at the start of a new wave when it's in the news again, associations between Glastonbury/festivals in general and covid can never be a good thing. Hopefully this wave subsides quickly

Thankfully we know that no tabloid journalists read this forum and so we're entirely safe from Leftie Super-Spreader Event type headlines in the right wing rags.

"festival flu" has long been a collection of illnesses, from colds to gastroenteritis to actual influenza that you pick up when you're there. COVID-19 has sadly joined those, and will continue to be something you can pick up at a festival that leaves you feeling shitty for a week or so, with a small potential of longer term problems. It's probably currently still the most serious of those, but will continue to become less problematic as time goes on.

So it doesn't fundamentally change anything for me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

In your poll of 33 people on a festival site? Most people aren't testing, so won't know if they have it or not. People who did catch it and are testing are much more likely to open a thread about it. And it's still only 50%. I look forward to seeing the extra 125,000 cases appear in the official stats over the next few days then...

49 now and percentage has only risen... But yeh, I get your point and it was exactly why I prefaced my post with 'So far, from the responses received.' 

If 50% of people were catching it over a weekend in the general population, this pandemic would have been over ages ago! Virus would run out of hosts within a month!

Also official / general stats are worthless now, as nobody is going for PCR tests, or reporting LFT tests, because the government aren't doing free testing. 

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thankfully we know that no tabloid journalists read this forum and so we're entirely safe from Leftie Super-Spreader Event type headlines in the right wing rags.

I wouldn't worry, they'd already declared it a super spreader event before it had even begun, nobody cared... Because it was fairly obviously going to be. Whilst it's still circulating widely, every mass gathering is going to be a super spreader event, if we're going to learn to live with it, we, and more importantly the press, have to come to terms with that!

More often than not get ill after a festival anyway. 5 days of partying, indulgence, no sleep, mixing with big crowds, not eating healthily, breathing in dust - it's inevitable. Would never stop me going. I'm not going to test for a cold.

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

To be fair, Glastonbury 2022 probably was the largest single super spreader event to date, although I imagine the Jubilee celebrations would be up there too. But in the grand scheme of things these events are probably helping our situation. Allowing a very infectious but relatively mild variant of COVID to become dominant is a good thing. Hopefully it will continue to evolve in that direction and it will eventually just become another "common cold" virus like most of the other coronaviruses.

I caught it at Glastonbury this year, having already had it once at the beginning of 2021 and being fully up to date with vaccinations since. Two of the people I camped with have also come down with it. But so far it's just like a moderate cold, and I'm hoping my previous infection and vaccinations will help me fight it off quickly.

My 2021 infection was much worse - it floored me for a week and left me with no sense of smell for a couple of months, followed by long COVID in the form of a horrible wheezy chest, which lingered for over a year as though it had scarred my lungs or something. But that was with a more severe variant and before vaccinations. We're in a different place now.

It won't stop me going personally, but if I was vulnerable or I lived with someone vulnerable it might be a different story.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Also official / general stats are worthless now, as nobody is going for PCR tests, or reporting LFT tests, because the government aren't doing free testing. 

Official stats are mostly extrapolated from the extremely valuable ONS swab and blood tests which are still ongoing for thousands of people (I'm one of them).

6 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

Official stats are mostly extrapolated from the extremely valuable ONS swab and blood tests which are still ongoing for thousands of people (I'm one of them).

Only the ONS reports use extrapolated data. The official government stats page uses actual data...

It's why, proportionately to previous waves, the hospitalisations are rising at a much higher and faster rate than the cases... Because most cases are not being reported...

This site - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Edited by Alvoram
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

I'm on this too! 

Can't vote as didn't go this year, but it wouldn't put me off. Had covid in March and it was horrible but I still went to Primavera and am back at gigs.

I do wonder what will happen with it by this time next year though. Perhaps paying for boosters for non-vulnerable people will be a thing.

2 hours ago, Rex2 said:

After seeing the covid thread and festivals seemingly increase the chance of catching covid will this put anyone off trying for tickets next year? 

What about the option No, but I've had it before - as the other two don't apply to me