LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

• 4 weeks later...

I always thought it odd that the tickets were all sold before any announcements.  Having gone for the first time this year I now completely get it, and therefore insist they keep it way - I will be going for tickets regardless of who is playing and don't want hordes of people trying just because one of their favourite acts is playing.  No announcements until after ticket day please.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I always thought it odd that the tickets were all sold before any announcements.  Having gone for the first time this year I now completely get it, and therefore insist they keep it way - I will be going for tickets regardless of who is playing and don't want hordes of people trying just because one of their favourite acts is playing.  No announcements until after ticket day please.

Ah it's great to have a total convert 😄 Welcome fully to the religion that is Glastonbury. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I've been going since 1985 and I don't get it.

Could a "newbe" please explain it to me.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

I've been going since 1985 and I don't get it.

Could a "newbe" please explain it to me.

I suspect the key thing is not wanting a lot of fans of a particular artist solely coming because of an artist. It's a bit of a leap in faith buying a ticket without a line up so they want the sort of people there who are willing to make that leap of faith. 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I suspect the key thing is not wanting a lot of fans of a particular artist solely coming because of an artist. It's a bit of a leap in faith buying a ticket without a line up so they want the sort of people there who are willing to make that leap of faith. 

It's not really though. Glastonbury line-up (all stages) is diverse enough that there's bound to be something for most people.

18 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's not really though. Glastonbury line-up (all stages) is diverse enough that there's bound to be something for most people.

Yes obviously for those of us who have been we appreciate that but genuinely for new people it is. They only really think about what is on the top few stages. Every time someone who doesn't go to Glastonbury asks me who is playing Glastonbury I know they just want to know the Pyramid headliners and maybe the legend slot is. Until you have been it is very hard to grasp just how unimportant that information is. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Pretty much this 👍

46 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes obviously for those of us who have been we appreciate that but genuinely for new people it is. They only really think about what is on the top few stages. Every time someone who doesn't go to Glastonbury asks me who is playing Glastonbury I know they just want to know the Pyramid headliners and maybe the legend slot is. Until you have been it is very hard to grasp just how unimportant that information is. 

You have hit the nail on the head, and I will try to explain from personal experience -

I have wanted to go for many years.  We watched 2019 at home on TV and after watching a lot of the sets I finally convinced my wife that we should go (also helped by the fact that our two kids were getting to a decent age were they could enjoy it).  The Killers and The Cure in particular convinced us - I distinctly remember watching both sets and massively regretting that we were not there in person- they looked epic!

So, October 2019, we got lucky and secured tickets, but my family still wanted to see who was playing first before committing .  Taylor Swift was the dream for all of us and so when she was announced it was game on.

Fast forward to line-up day 2022.  No Taylor, no Dua Lipa, no Lana Del Rey etc - lots of moaning from my 16 year old Daughter who kept saying the line-up was rubbish compared to 2019 and also what would we could have had in 2020.  My Wife was also massively underwhelmed and had zero interest in either of the 3 Pyramid headliners - kept saying that every other year had at least 1 or 2 who she would have liked.  They kept saying that we shouldn't go and I had to keep convincing them that it would still be great, even though I could see where they were coming from as I was a bit underwhelmed by the headliners as well.  It is also important to understand that coming from NI and as a family of 4 is pretty expensive (£Thousands) so not a decision to be taken lightly.

Anyway, we had the best time ever and most of our best memories were away from the Pyramid.  One of our highlights was Jessie Ware on the Park Stage on Saturday night - my Wife and I had a magical evening up in that area and it will be a memory we will cherish.  I have gone from being fixated on the big three to realising that it really doesn't matter - there is so much else to do that might turn out even better!  I really don't think anyone who hasn't been would really appreciate this.  All of my family now "get it" and all want to return regardless of who is on the line-up - to me this is a result beyond my wildest expectations!

The week after Glasto this year, my wife casually mentioned to me that while booking our dog into kennels for our summer holiday next July, she has also booked him in from the 20th June until the 27th June!  You can probably imagine the smug sense of satisfaction I got from that 😁

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Hell no to any announcements before ticket day. Hard pass! Even if it’s an open secret that certain acts are there, making an actual announcement will flood ticket day with people not arsed about the festival and just the act. The rate ticket prices are going, it might end up cheaper to get Glastonbury tickets than Wembley tickets for Spice Girls or Taylor - you can imagine how many people would go for tickets and possibly not even be bothered about staying the weekend.

Edited by jparx

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

"Every time someone who doesn't go to Glastonbury asks me who is playing Glastonbury I know they just want to know the Pyramid headliners and maybe the legend slot is". 

This is all I get from friends when I ask them if they'd be interested in going, they always respond with "It depends who's playing". 

As has been commented above it's so diverse enough that there's bound to be something for most people.

28 minutes ago, jparx said:

Hell no to any announcements before ticket day. Hard pass! Even if it’s an open secret that certain acts are there, making an actual announcement will flood ticket day with people not arsed about the festival and just the act. The rate ticket prices are going, it might end up cheaper to get Glastonbury tickets than Wembley tickets for Spice Girls or Taylor - you can imagine how many people would go for tickets and possibly not even be bothered about staying the weekend.

Excellent, more space and less "non-festival" types.

They've paid for a ticket so the festival can keep going.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I totally agree with you. 

Not everyone does though.  I know of a couple who actually got a refund this year because the line up wasn't for them.  And they went in 2019 too, so they weren't even 'first timers'.

It actually hurts my head.