2023 Stage Predictions

SomeoneListeningIn

28 minutes ago, stuie said:

Geniunely curious here, sorry for ignorance but what is the appeal for pop with South Korean lyrics? 

I imagine the same for any popular music sung in another language. The melody. The fashion. The performance. All play their part. English speaking rock bands tend to do very well in Asia. It works both ways.

8 hours ago, stuie said:

Geniunely curious here, sorry for ignorance but what is the appeal for pop with South Korean lyrics? 

Well I didn't understand English until mid mid/late teens and it didn't stop me from enjoying sometimes questionable English singing artists. The image of course but simply the music, the flow of the language, a couple of easy random words to belt along too. That's how you got French kids singing "like a virgin woo" in the 80s . Luckily French parents didn't understand the lyrics either.

I think for K pop people do seek out translations regularly (thanks to the INternet), and the uber fans try to learn Korean too.

9 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

I imagine the same for any popular music sung in another language. The melody. The fashion. The performance. All play their part. English speaking rock bands tend to do very well in Asia. It works both ways.

We don’t have a history of music in another language at UK festivals though (do we?) so although I understand your point, I’m not clear why we’re expecting it to appear at R/L and Glastonbury. I’m not against it by the way, just wondering! 

I can't see any K-pop group headlining unless there were too many acts already on tours and busy etc, and they didn't even want to put Foals in there 😛 

And even then, I can't see them getting a huge crowd, especially as people buy tickets before the headliners are announced. Although I suppose, once they release said K-pop group as a headliner, some people might cancel their tickets allowing genuine K-pop fans to get them.

Even including people who go to see what all the fuss is about, it sounds a bit gimmicky. 

Would the fest have had N-Sync or Backstreet Boys headline at the top of their powers? They would have been a hard no and rightly so.

At least with a Beyonce/Gaga/Swift, they feel less commercial than boy/girl bands.

11 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

It works both ways in the ratio that US/UK export 90% of their music, while only importing 10% of "world" music. 

Save for the odd summer Spanish pop song from J-Lo, Shakira, Ricky Martin, perhaps even the odd French song, there's not a lot of non-English songs played in the UK on the radio or in people's homes.

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I can't see any K-pop group headlining unless there were too many acts already on tours and busy etc, and they didn't even want to put Foals in there 😛 

And even then, I can't see them getting a huge crowd, especially as people buy tickets before the headliners are announced. Although I suppose, once they release said K-pop group as a headliner, some people might cancel their tickets allowing genuine K-pop fans to get them.

Even including people who go to see what all the fuss is about, it sounds a bit gimmicky. 

Would the fest have had N-Sync or Backstreet Boys headline at the top of their powers? They would have been a hard no and rightly so.

At least with a Beyonce/Gaga/Swift, they feel less commercial than boy/girl bands.

People were asking for kpop bands to appear not headline. Have one on the middle of the day on pyramid/other etc

1 minute ago, Muppetmark said:

People were asking for kpop bands to appear not headline. Have one on the middle of the day on pyramid/other etc

I know, I know, I totally agree, but I was discussing with someone about them headlining, so just wanted to throw my two cents in about them headlining. There must be some kpop groups who are happy for Pyramid at 4pm on a Sat afternoon.

11 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

And my view is that’s unlikely. K Pop is so manufactured it makes X Factor look genuine. They produce acts from a factory convey-belt. K Pop management will drop an act if they are not “headlining” things around the world. There is no mid-tier! They don’t let mid-tier survive!

On 7/27/2022 at 7:39 AM, moogster said:

+ she's kind of a local!

Her last set was indeed sub-other and I don't think the crowd was really big. On the other hand, shitty weather and post Brexit vote blues did gave it quite an edge.

It wasn’t very big. Great set in a fairly grim setting. But the scheduling was a bit shit that night. She was up against Beck which I’m certain split the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed the K-Pop discussion here's my thoughts

1. Won't get queues like that Lolla show as nobody k-pop will even be trying to get glastonbury tickets most likely as they won't think k pop will even be there.
  2. First k pop act to get a decent slot might be interested as a landmark statement sort of thing (Blackpink maybe?), but i doubt BTS or whoever are lining up
  3. Regarding K-pop type music only happening in Korea, it could probably be compared to reggaeton which has become huge recently, possibly even bigger than k pop with acts like daddy yankee, bad bunny etc

On 8/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, Matt42 said:

And my view is that’s unlikely. K Pop is so manufactured it makes X Factor look genuine. They produce acts from a factory convey-belt. K Pop management will drop an act if they are not “headlining” things around the world. There is no mid-tier! They don’t let mid-tier survive!

We still let Wet Leg play though? /s

On 7/27/2022 at 8:39 AM, moogster said:

+ she's kind of a local!

Her last set was indeed sub-other and I don't think the crowd was really big. On the other hand, shitty weather and post Brexit vote blues did gave it quite an edge.

I saw her in Porto once and she was fantastic. I can imagine during the post-Brexit festival how her 'Let England Shake' tunes went down, ha!

On 8/16/2022 at 2:05 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Are Wet Leg heavily manufactured? Genuine question, don't know much about them.

Now that somebody has suggested they are I can’t shake the feeling that they might be.  I had been curious as to how they just appeared seemingly from nowhere and so perfectly formed but never gave it a second thought.

30 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

Now that somebody has suggested they are I can’t shake the feeling that they might be.  I had been curious as to how they just appeared seemingly from nowhere and so perfectly formed but never gave it a second thought.

They're not manufactured at all, but they clearly got picked for a push.

On 8/16/2022 at 2:05 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Are Wet Leg heavily manufactured? Genuine question, don't know much about them.

They are definitely industry backed. Nothing wrong with industry backing if people like it, but they are getting pushed in a way that I haven’t seen for a while with an indie band.

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They are definitely industry backed. Nothing wrong with industry backing if people like it, but they are getting pushed in a way that I haven’t seen for a while with an indie band.

Yeah a friend of mine who is more of a casual follower of new music told me she got nagged through some newsletter to check it out and pre-order the album way at the beginning. Thought it was a bit unusual.

Edited by moogster