2023 Stage Predictions

9 minutes ago, moogster said:

I'd really like PJ Harvey to get a headline at JP or Park but no clue if that would work, how popular she is etc....

Yeah she could play either of those slots imo. I believe she subbed the Other stage last time she played in 2016.

12 hours ago, moogster said:

I'd really like PJ Harvey to get a headline at JP or Park but no clue if that would work, how popular she is etc....

Would love to see her again. She's a special one in my opinion. She's pretty popular with people who love alternative music, she's never really broken into the mainstream - or at least in my opinion.

Would love to see her headline the PJ stage, or perhaps sub-Other. 

9 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Would love to see her again. She's a special one in my opinion. She's pretty popular with people who love alternative music, she's never really broken into the mainstream - or at least in my opinion.

Would love to see her headline the PJ stage, or perhaps sub-Other. 

+ she's kind of a local!

Her last set was indeed sub-other and I don't think the crowd was really big. On the other hand, shitty weather and post Brexit vote blues did gave it quite an edge.

Wonder if this kind of thing turns off Glasto from booking K pop. I mean it would be a whole other situation because its a pain to get a ticket plus no lineup til March and you would have to move mountains to even sneak in on top of that.

This morning at Lolla. J Hope of Bts is headlining the second main stage and the lines to the entrances were horribly long. Lined up outside since 5am for gates opening at 11am. Performance isnt until 9pm. Its going to be warm in the mid 20's and theyre just gonna camp out at the one stage and ruin it for every other artist. Yesterday there was another k pop act booked TomorrowxTogether and they had multiple incidents and stoppages throughout the day because people had to get pulled out of the crowd due to crushing and dehydration. 

3327B396-AC7E-4D85-B9C3-156625E5A9C0.jpeg

3E5F2217-0BC1-4122-AC66-2F6E726B4191.jpeg

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Wonder if this kind of thing turns off Glasto from booking K pop. I mean it would be a whole other situation because its a pain to get a ticket plus no lineup til March and you would have to move mountains to even sneak in on top of that.

This morning at Lolla. J Hope of Bts is headlining the second main stage and the lines to the entrances were horribly long. Lined up outside since 5am for gates opening at 11am. Performance isnt until 9pm. Its going to be warm in the mid 20's and theyre just gonna camp out at the one stage and ruin it for every other artist. Yesterday there was another k pop act booked TomorrowxTogether and they had multiple incidents and stoppages throughout the day because people had to get pulled out of the crowd due to crushing and dehydration. 

They’ve not booked big K Pop yet and I don’t see an indication that they are going to do so. So I don’t think it’s an important point. k pop is way bigger in the US than it is in the UK. We haven’t had a movement similar to the US. We have and create big boy bands of our own, I don’t think there’s a market for it in the UK like there is in the US. Why look overseas when we have them at home.

I don’t think it would be a bad thing for them to do it, but I don’t think Glasto are in the position to give their headline slots away to K Pop like they are in the states. Completely different markets. Completely different audiences. Do you see any European festivals booking K Pop in headline slots? It doesn’t happen over here. You can’t look at the US market and draw any parallels. 

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Yesterday there was another k pop act booked TomorrowxTogether and they had multiple incidents and stoppages throughout the day because people had to get pulled out of the crowd due to crushing and dehydration. 

That serves them right for not packing some chewing gum and an apple

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

FullSizeRender.MOV

Is it any different to muse fans camping overnight to be front row? I think it was a springsteen gig around 2012 at Hyde Park where people were camping for 2 nights and it was a similar gate time.  

In terms of camping all day at a festival reading 2013 was several rows deep of people waiting for green day all day. 

I’ll probably get ripped for this (especially as it’s my first post! I used to have another log in on an old email address!) here goes!

K Pop is quite big in Britain. I know the point was made we create our own boy bands over here but have we any that wiped off $1.7 billion off the market value of the record company when they announced they were having a break?

What folk are underestimating is social media. There’s a massive following in this country on the likes of TikTok. And the CD’s tend to come with posters, cards and stickers at prices far more expensive than your normal CD’s!

While European festivals might not be booking them there are Kpop acts who tour Europe and do so successfully. I’m sure BTS were all set to play Twickenham before the pandemic. 

My youngest daughter loves kpop. She’s be delighted that acts are making that breakthrough into the likes of festivals and being well received while they do it.

I’m chuffed for her. There’s a lot of distractions for kids nowadays so to be well into music at the age of 12, no matter what the genre, is heart warming. 

Can a kpop act headline Glastonbury? Unlikely over the next few years. But could they play the festival? Someone like J Hope (whose solo album is pretty decent) or TXT could play. And I think for a festival like Glastonbury with its reputation as being the most renowned festival on the planet and one famed for pushing boundaries it would be the perfect fit.

And if there is a Kpop act, expect me to be signing up to get tickets!

Don’t get me wrong I’m not against booking K Pop acts. Glastonbury should book a diverse lineup and not turn away from genres that are hot right now.

I just think due to a) what k pop acts want and b) what Glastonbury can offer - the two repel eachother.

K Pop acts typically want to headline everything they play, or play a very prominent slot. Until Glastonbury is in a position to offer that kind of slot I don’t think it will happen.

J Hope made his debut US festival appearance and it was HEADLINING Lollapalooza. One of the biggest festivals in the US. K Pop acts don’t want to play the support / middle of the day slots that Glastonbury would probably offer them.

Edited by Matt42

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Don’t get me wrong I’m not against booking K Pop acts. Glastonbury should book a diverse lineup and not turn away from genres that are hot right now.

I just think due to a) what k pop acts want and b) what Glastonbury can offer - the two repel eachother.

K Pop acts typically want to headline everything they play, or play a very prominent slot. Until Glastonbury is in a position to offer that kind of slot I don’t think it will happen.

J Hope made his debut US festival appearance and it was HEADLINING Lollapalooza. One of the biggest festivals in the US. K Pop acts don’t want to play the support / middle of the day slots that Glastonbury would probably offer them.

Headlining cause Doja messed her voice up. I dont Think he gets that spot if he was on the poster from the get go. It comes down to which K Pop act Glasto would book and theres a lot of em to go around. "First K pop act to play at glastonbury" sounds awfully good to somebody at a label. They dont even need to give them  a high slot. Schedule it in a manner that potentially would have a crowd waiting for somebody thats on afterwards. Golden opportunity to put them before a TBA on the schedule and people will have to show up early. You get a respectable crowd to be exposed to a genre they very much wouldnt have been bothered with and potentially win over some people.

30 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Headlining cause Doja messed her voice up. I dont Think he gets that spot if he was on the poster from the get go. It comes down to which K Pop act Glasto would book and theres a lot of em to go around. "First K pop act to play at glastonbury" sounds awfully good to somebody at a label. They dont even need to give them  a high slot. Schedule it in a manner that potentially would have a crowd waiting for somebody thats on afterwards. Golden opportunity to put them before a TBA on the schedule and people will have to show up early. You get a respectable crowd to be exposed to a genre they very much wouldnt have been bothered with and potentially win over some people.

Yeah but my point is most K Pop acts would consider themselves beyond that. Yes he is a step in for Doja but that’s still a step in to a headline position. Glastonbury is way off being in a position to offer acts slots like that. I can’t see it happening for a long time. Not until the UK public at large welcomes a K Pop act with open arms.

Edited by Matt42

So, why is K Pop any different to other pop/pop idol style manufactured stuff?  Why does the country have it's own genre? 

I've never heard of it before (and don't really care) just wondering! 

57 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah but my point is most K Pop acts would consider themselves beyond that. Yes he is a step in for Doja but that’s still a step in to a headline position. Glastonbury is way off being in a position to offer acts slots like that. I can’t see it happening for a long time. Not until the UK public at large welcomes a K Pop act with open arms.

Are there really no mid-level K-Pop acts? I guess if it's that controlled and manufactured it's possible. But still weird.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

So, why is K Pop any different to other pop/pop idol style manufactured stuff?  Why does the country have it's own genre? 

Fair question, if you're going to name the genre based on its origins then we should surely be calling is SK Pop. As the "K" isn't actually a country and unless I'm mistaken none of these bands are from the north side. 

From the little bits I've heard it does have a sound of its own, and in the Anglo centric cultural dominance we live I guess anything that so dominantly and proudly presents itself in its native tongue is going to get an easy to reach for name like that. Plus its fanbase is so huge and rampant it's become a huge sub-culture of its own so lumping it in with our home grown groups doesn't hold up.

A fun comparison is when our biggest bands got this in the 90s when our funny accents singing over guitars ended up with the name Britpop (don't actually know if this is the origin of Britpop but the names are still comparable). 

22 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Fair question, if you're going to name the genre based on its origins then we should surely be calling is SK Pop. As the "K" isn't actually a country and unless I'm mistaken none of these bands are from the north side. 

From the little bits I've heard it does have a sound of its own, and in the Anglo centric cultural dominance we live I guess anything that so dominantly and proudly presents itself in its native tongue is going to get an easy to reach for name like that. Plus its fanbase is so huge and rampant it's become a huge sub-culture of its own so lumping it in with our home grown groups doesn't hold up.

A fun comparison is when our biggest bands got this in the 90s when our funny accents singing over guitars ended up with the name Britpop (don't actually know if this is the origin of Britpop but the names are still comparable). 

Fair enough... it makes some sense compared to Britpop I suppose.  

Not for me, but there we are.

7 hours ago, stuie said:

Not sung in English is probably one factor.

Surely there must be some K-pop bands that wouldn't want to headline or aren't yet big enough?

On a similar-ish note (because they share style/crossover with J-pop), I would've loved to have seen BABYMETAL in 2019.

They certainly deserved better than their midday-packed-lunch-munching crowd.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

17 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Surely there must be some K-pop bands that wouldn't want to headline or aren't yet big enough?

On a similar-ish note (because they share style/crossover with J-pop), I would've loved to have seen BABYMETAL in 2019.

They certainly deserved better than their midday-packed-lunch-munching crowd.

I get babymetal are a thing but I’m talking about prominent k pop here. The bigger acts.