2023 Stage Predictions

42 minutes ago, gfa said:

She was 100% out of place but that feels like too much of a move downward, i think she'd move across to like 4th pyramid or maybe 3rd, rather than to the same slot but on a much smaller stage if you get what i mean. So that it seems less harsh i suppose

I get what you mean, although headlining the Park is surely better than midday obscurity 4th down on the Pyramid? Just think with her arty synth pop, the Park seems ideal. She might think it's beneath her tho, but I'd take headlining the Park, or even the West Holts rather than the the middle of the day. Perhaps for another poll, what's bigger, headlining the Park or 4th down Pyramid 😝

21 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Absolutely. The 1975 and Taylor Swift would share a lot of crossover.

Still think the former are Pyramid, mind you.

I am torn about the 1975, prob mostly because I'm not a huge fan of theirs.

For the rock/guitar portion of any Pyramid trio though, there can't be many others who fit the bill.

I'm also not really fussed about AM for what it's worth... 

Would rather see Foals do it that either AM or 1975 if I'm honest... 🤯

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I am torn about the 1975, prob mostly because I'm not a huge fan of theirs.

For the rock/guitar portion of any Pyramid trio though, there can't be many others who fit the bill.

I'm also not really fussed about AM for what it's worth... 

Would rather see Foals do it that either AM or 1975 if I'm honest... 🤯

Of the three, Foals are not Pyramid headline level - at least, by the standards the festival seems to seek these days. Not sure if they ever were, unlike a few others (say, Biffy Clyro, or even The 1975 if you buy the idea their moment has passed.)

BUT have wondered if Foals could end up getting a crack down the line at some point by dint. There may well be a point where the festival reaches a pool of "vintage" headliners, and if they remain roughly at their current size, they could well get the boot up.

That's wild, possibly very off-target speculation, of course, but stranger things have happened!

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Of the three, Foals are not Pyramid headline level - at least, by the standards the festival seems to seek these days. Not sure if they ever were, unlike a few others (say, Biffy Clyro, or even The 1975 if you buy the idea their moment has passed.)

BUT have wondered if Foals could end up getting a crack down the line at some point by dint. There may well be a point where the festival reaches a pool of "vintage" headliners, and if they remain roughly at their current size, they could well get the boot up.

That's wild, possibly very off-target speculation, of course, but stranger things have happened!

I tend to agree that in terms of general size, Foals come up a bit short compared to the numbers from other bands in the rock/guitar category. I just think what's in their favour is their general likeability at Glasto. They seem to be a very Glasto band. They've always had decent slots. The 1975 haven't been higher than 3rd down on Other in more or less the same time.

Foals' Park set in 2019 was massively popular and their Friday Other headline performance was very well received/attended. Obv, I don't have any numbers to produce, but from the eye-test on iPlayer, they rivalled Billie Eilish for crowd size, and probably had more people than Kendrick on the Sunday.

With Emily Eavis choosing bands with her new formula, I could see Foals sneaking in one year in the future, maybe 2024 or 2025 (if there's a festival, assuming the next fallow will be 2026), and taking up the guitar/rock portion of the top 3.

It depends again of course, if albums are released by both that tank or sell well.

They're both in the mix though, definitely.

If the 1975 were tipped for 2020, then have they missed their chance?

There are so many variables, it's hurting my head even writing this post, lol 

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I tend to agree that in terms of general size, Foals come up a bit short compared to the numbers from other bands in the rock/guitar category. I just think what's in their favour is their general likeability at Glasto. They seem to be a very Glasto band. They've always had decent slots. The 1975 haven't been higher than 3rd down on Other in more or less the same time.

Foals' Park set in 2019 was massively popular and their Friday Other headline performance was very well received/attended. Obv, I don't have any numbers to produce, but from the eye-test on iPlayer, they rivalled Billie Eilish for crowd size, and probably had more people than Kendrick on the Sunday.

With Emily Eavis choosing bands with her new formula, I could see Foals sneaking in one year in the future, maybe 2024 or 2025 (if there's a festival, assuming the next fallow will be 2026), and taking up the guitar/rock portion of the top 3.

It depends again of course, if albums are released by both that tank or sell well.

They're both in the mix though, definitely.

If the 1975 were tipped for 2020, then have they missed their chance?

There are so many variables, it's hurting my head even writing this post, lol 

Oh, mate, we live for the variables around here 😆

I think Foals are very much within the outside shout category, but likewise, there's going to be a point where the desire to book someone other than Coldplay will prove essential, for example. (Of course, if we get no Coldplay in the next four-year, pre-fallow cycle, they'd probably be due a return afterwards, with a decade away!)

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Obv, I don't have any numbers to produce, but from the eye-test on iPlayer, they rivalled Billie Eilish for crowd size, and probably had more people than Kendrick on the Sunday.

Just read on the 2023 headliners thread that Kendrick had more than Billie!

Foals doing it in like 15 years is the most random shout ever.

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Just read on the 2023 headliners thread that Kendrick had more than Billie!

Foals doing it in like 15 years is the most random shout ever.

It certainly didn't look like Kendrick had more than Billie. Was there a source given for this claim?

Who is predicting Foals to headline in 2037?!

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It certainly didn't look like Kendrick had more than Billie. Was there a source given for this claim?

Who is predicting Foals to headline in 2037?!

the comment you replied to about vintage headliners. no idea re kendrick / billie claim - both had strong Other competition to eat into their crowd

1 minute ago, gfa said:

the comment you replied to about vintage headliners. no idea re kendrick / billie claim - both had strong Other competition to eat into their crowd

I said Foals could be in the picture to headline if they had another good album and there was a lack of other competitors. Where did the 15 years bit come from? Or the vintage part?

Also, from watching Billie, Foals, and Kendrick back on iPlayer, it looked like Foals/Billie were quite even, and Kendrick had a little bit less.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I said Foals could be in the picture to headline if they had another good album and there was a lack of other competitors. Where did the 15 years bit come from? Or the vintage part?

Also, from watching Billie, Foals, and Kendrick back on iPlayer, it looked like Foals/Billie were quite even, and Kendrick had a little bit less.

music doesn’t stand still. In 10 years time they won’t say “right we’ve done everyone time to give it to someone 10 years after their peak”. They will give it to a new artist. Most likely someone we don’t event know/discuss yet.

Billie wasn’t on our radar during the 2017 festival. Thinks can change quick.

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I said that the person you replied to said vintage - 

I always feel for people who are brave enough to post predictions in here.

You get absolutely destroyed.

But keep them coming, I love seeing the predictions and wide range of variants.

Edited by Bobs
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

music doesn’t stand still. In 10 years time they won’t say “right we’ve done everyone time to give it to someone 10 years after their peak”. They will give it to a new artist. Most likely someone we don’t event know/discuss yet.

Billie wasn’t on our radar during the 2017 festival. Thinks can change quick.

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

I said that the person you replied to said vintage - 

Okay, but removing this confusion of 15 years in the future talk, if Foals released another decent album, seeing as how they love the festival and G clearly likes them (the Eavii and the attendees), I don't see it as inconceivable they're given the nod to cover the guitar based slot in the next few years.

And there's been a slew of bands that have been courted to headline despite not doing anything of note in the last 10-20 years. The Cure, Fleetwood Mac, McCartney, Elton...

Yes, music doesn't stand still, but that doesn't mean people just forget about bands after a predetermined timeframe either.

Glastonbury - it's the best of both worlds, as the "vintage" Robert Palmer, or the "relevant" Hannah Montana have both said 😛

22 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Okay, but removing this confusion of 15 years in the future talk, if Foals released another decent album, seeing as how they love the festival and G clearly likes them (the Eavii and the attendees), I don't see it as inconceivable they're given the nod to cover the guitar based slot in the next few years.

And there's been a slew of bands that have been courted to headline despite not doing anything of note in the last 10-20 years. The Cure, Fleetwood Mac, McCartney, Elton...

Yes, music doesn't stand still, but that doesn't mean people just forget about bands after a predetermined timeframe either.

Glastonbury - it's the best of both worlds, as the "vintage" Robert Palmer, or the "relevant" Hannah Montana have both said 😛

Yeah i wasn't disagreeing with what you said, meant the other person. Those acts you listed are actually vintage though, foals with a new album in 3 years or so are not!

27 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Because they're huge, iconic, stadium selling heritage acts. Foals at their pomp have never been half the size those acts have been. 

Foals and Tame Impala are both in the same boat - both have subbed the Pyramid and then gone on to headline Other. That's their Glastonbury ceiling, unless somehow they get a massive surge in popularity, which quite frankly is never going to happen. They can keep on releasing good albums but without a sudden big uptake in their mainstream/crossover appeal then headlining the Pyramid is always going to be out reach.

I think I opened a can of worms on Foals there, whoops!

Might not have made sense as much, but was speculating that, a decade-and-a-half, two decades down the line, they could well be booked as a "vintage" headliner without necessarily experiencing a major commercial surge now. It is a big if! But it's not necessarily an implausible one if Glastonbury was to favour a guitar-based headliner at that particular juncture.

There's food for thought. Who are the "vintage" headliners of the future? Perhaps that's a question best saved for another thread... in another ten years...

(I'm here to chew gum and speculate, and I'm all out of gum!)

27 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I think I opened a can of worms on Foals there, whoops!

Might not have made sense as much, but was speculating that, a decade-and-a-half, two decades down the line, they could well be booked as a "vintage" headliner without necessarily experiencing a major commercial surge now. It is a big if! But it's not necessarily an implausible one if Glastonbury was to favour a guitar-based headliner at that particular juncture.

There's food for thought. Who are the "vintage" headliners of the future? Perhaps that's a question best saved for another thread... in another ten years...

(I'm here to chew gum and speculate, and I'm all out of gum!)

I think there’s a separate discussion that Glastonbury is doing better at having rising stars play the festival. The legend slot pulls from eras that Glastonbury could rarely touch back in the day. Can’t say the same now.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think there’s a separate discussion that Glastonbury is doing better at having rising stars play the festival. The legend slot pulls from eras that Glastonbury could rarely touch back in the day. Can’t say the same now.

Aye, there's a definite push to have the finger on the pulse, as it were.