2023 Stage Predictions

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yeah, I thought that was about the size of it. There's a good half-dozen, maybe even a dozen US acts who wouldn't have a hope in hell of topping the Pyramid, a huge commercial bump notwithstanding, despite being first-choice picks to top big bills stateside. Dave Matthews Band another one.

Five years? Six?

Even Blonde was six years ago by this point. CO came out in 2011 or 2012 IIRC. Also don’t think he’s ever played an arena show over here. 

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Not in terms of mainstream crossover. Absolutely no chance. Not for a single second. 

Look at the streaming numbers. Pretty much like for like. Both albums are UK platinum according to wikipedia.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Look at the streaming numbers. Pretty much like for like. Both albums are UK platinum according to wikipedia.

If we’re doing the Wikipedia thing, Channel Orange had two platinum singles while the sole official single from Blonde only made it to Silver. Sorry, I love him, but it’s just not happening. 

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

If we’re doing the Wikipedia thing, Channel Orange had two platinum singles while the sole official single from Blonde only made it to Silver. Sorry, I love him, but it’s just not happening. 

Ivy, Pink + White and Nights are all gold as well though without being released as singles.

There's really not much in it honestly. I know when Blonde was released it was considered quite obtuse in comparison to Channel Orange, but it's stood the test of time incredibly well and is just as popular as his debut.

I agree that Thinkin Bout you and Lost are his two biggest songs, but then the rest of his top 5 are definitely from Blonde and they're massive massive songs.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Ivy, Pink + White and Nights are all gold as well though without being released as singles.

There's really not much in it honestly. I know when Blonde was released it was considered quite obtuse in comparison to Channel Orange, but it's stood the test of time incredibly well and is just as popular as his debut.

I agree that Thinkin Bout you and Lost are his two biggest songs, but then the rest of his top 5 are definitely from Blonde and they're massive massive songs.

I won't lie, I don't know if I could name more than two songs without being put on the spot.

A very big Other pull, given his cult appeal/US success, but as mooted earlier, he wouldn't accept that.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, willd255 said:

PY: Frank Ocean, Lana Del Rey, Paul Weller, Aitch, Holly Humberstone,

OS: Queens of The Stone Age, Gerry Cinnamon, Carly Rae Jepsen, Superorganism

JP: Pixies, Beach House

PA: Fiona Apple, Angel Olsen

PY: Arctic Monkeys, John Mayer, Paolo Nutini, Laura Marling, Waxahatchee

OS: Doja Cat, Loyle Carner, Maggie Rogers, Rina Sawayama

JP: The War On Drugs, Orville Peck

PA: Whitney, Lucy Dacus

PY: Taylor Swift, Lewis Capaldi, Lizzo, Stevie Nicks, Anderson Paak

OS: The Chemical Brothers, The Courteeners, Father John Misty, Brockhampton

JP: Solange, Jungle

PA: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Alex G

Gone rogue on the Friday eve, surprised he's barely mentioned around here. Supposedly doing Coachella... 

As much as I love Holly Humberstone, she's nowhere near ready for the Pyramid yet imo. The scale of her JP set took her by surprise I think. Going to see her again in Dec, in a small venue. I think she needs a couple of tours under her belt first.

She is brilliant though, and I'm sure she'll get there, her song writing is incredible, just needs a bit more live experience, (thanks to covid?) 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

As much as I love Holly Humberstone, she's nowhere near ready for the Pyramid yet imo. The scale of her JP set took her by surprise I think. Going to see her again in Dec, in a small venue. I think she needs a couple of tours under her belt first.

I've put her high on The Park in my prediction for this very reason.

8 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

She is brilliant though, and I'm sure she'll get there, her song writing is incredible, just needs a bit more live experience, (thanks to covid?) 

I think she is actually bigger than Easy Life and they got a spot in the Pyramid this year (still no idea why).

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I've put her high on The Park in my prediction for this very reason.

I think that is reasonable...

How many 'open air' stages is she performing on for her tour this year? Anybody have any idea? 

We've booked for Rock City, should be amazing since she classes that as her 'home city.' 

Which reminds me, I've heard her say that she grew up in a small village near Nottingham multiple times now, (including on the JP last week and at R1BW) yet the internet claims she's from Grantham... Grantham isn't a small village, it's a fairly large town, very confusing. Guessing somewhere near Bingham or Bottesford??? 

5 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I think she is actually bigger than Easy Life and they got a spot in the Pyramid this year (still no idea why).

I think she's much better than Easy Life (And possibly bigger) but she isn't ready for that scale yet, you can't deny she was overcome with nerves in the JP, imagine if she was thrown straight onto the Pyramid next year after a tour of very small venues this year... Give her time. 🙂 

35 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Agree with all of this but bare in mind she'll likely have released a debut album by next summer. Stock is rising rapidly - Brit award and Brixton without a record out. I think she could make an early Pyramid slot

Could easily imagine Sigur Ros on the West Holts. Reckon I'd enjoy that a lot. 

And if Doves are back touring, health issues permitting, get them on the bill. Not sure what stage. Maybe the Other slot taken by Supergrass this year. 

Edited by Space Shanty

1 minute ago, willd255 said:

Agree with all of this but bare in mind she'll likely have released a debut album by next summer. Stock is rising rapidly - Brit award and Brixton without a record out. I think she could make an early Pyramid slot

Yeh I get that, I think my point is more about her stage confidence, and whether she 'feels' ready for it, than whether she is worthy of the honour. On evidence my guess would be that she's not ready. 100% agree that if she were ready, she'd be worthy. 

She's clearly an absolutely natural born songwriter, but it seems live performance, or more accurately, stage fright, is something she'll have to work on. I might change my mind by the end of this tour though, maybe she'll adapt quickly. 🙂 

Still don’t think it will take her out of pyramid chances. She was visibly very nervous but it’s unfair to mark her down for it. She will be playing a few big gigs between now and next year and will probably get more confident. 

19 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

Friday

Pyramid: Arctic Monkeys

Other: Doja Cat

JP: Jungle

WH: Tom Misch

Park: Fred Again

Saturday

Pyramid: Elton John

Other: The 1975

JP: Becky Hill

WH: Royksopp

Park: La Roux

Sunday

Pyramid: Dua Lipa

Other: Massive Attack

JP: Kasabian

WH: Jamie XX

Park: Corrine Bailey Rae

God that Saturday is a bit shite.

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

With a bit more confidence she will be cracking, but she was absolutely shitting bricks during that JP set.

I felt so bad for her, but the way the crowd responded to her honesty was nothing short of beautiful, and definitely seemed to carry her through. One of my favourite moments of the whole weekend. 

Maybe that was it, maybe that was her one moment, maybe I'll go and see her shows later this year and she'll have grown exponentially... I really hope so, because she is bloody brilliant. 

friday:

pyramid stage the 1975:

other stage two door cinema club

saturday:

pyramid stage: adele 

other stage bring me the horizon 

sunday:

pyramid stage artic monkeys 

other stage the courteeners

with the chemical brothers doing a secret set on the Jon peel stage

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Fri
Py: The 1975, Lil Nas X, The Specials, Paloma Faith, Wet Leg
OS: Queens of the Stone Age, Lewis Capaldi, Lily Allen, slowthai, DMA's
WH: Run the Jewels, Pa Salieu, Tinariwen
JP: Becky Hill, FKA twigs, Modest Mouse
Pa: PJ Harvey, Bauhaus, Black Country, New Road

Sat
Py: Arctic Monkeys, The National, Jorja Smith, Anderson .Paak + the Free Nationals, Billy Ocean
OS: Cardi B, Mabel, The Black Keys, Belle + Sebastian, Central Cee
WH: Erykah Badu, Buddy Guy, Danny Brown
JP: Paolo Nutini, Chvrches, Everything Everything
Pa: Fred again.., Perfume Genius, Holly Humberstone

Sun
Py: Adele, Lizzo, Aerosmith, Spice Girls, Michael Kiwanuka
OS: The Prodigy, ROSALÍA, Aitch, Rex Orange County, King Gizzard + the Lizard Wizard
WH: Jamie xx, Young Fathers, Hiatus Kaiyote
JP: Pixies, Alabama Shakes, Sampha
Pa: Loyle Carner, 100 gecs, Angel Olsen

I'd be happy with this although Friday definitely feels weak. Maybe move becky hill to other and get a stronger JP headliner (feel like a lot of her crowd would be at 1975 really). Pretty solid i've got to say

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The industry seems to be pushing Easy Life quite hard. Beats me either. 

sunny tunes with a few beers kinda music, just wish the frontman would shut up he's a bellend!

25 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

Friday

Pyramid: Arctic Monkeys

Other: Doja Cat

JP: Jungle

WH: Tom Misch

Park: Fred Again

Saturday

Pyramid: Elton John

Other: The 1975

JP: Becky Hill

WH: Royksopp

Park: La Roux

Sunday

Pyramid: Dua Lipa

Other: Massive Attack

JP: Kasabian

WH: Jamie XX

Park: Corrine Bailey Rae

That friday is quite clashy imo, fred again jungle and tom misch all share a similar crowd.

Kasabian JP no chance, they are already headlining places again and put on a great show at Knebworth. WH wouldn't book them so i guess maybe 3rd pyramid or something, feel like in a year or two they'd be at other headline level again anyway, if they aren't already now even if its not the most exciting booking.

Both of these have Becky Hill on JP Headline - feel like she's a far more mid other act with a big crowd, she's done this kind of slot at reading / other fests tons of times now and always goes down a treat.

I love this thread but i'm such a massive critic on it, i reckon i might have to have a go myself!!

5 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I felt so bad for her, but the way the crowd responded to her honesty was nothing short of beautiful, and definitely seemed to carry her through. One of my favourite moments of the whole weekend. 

Maybe that was it, maybe that was her one moment, maybe I'll go and see her shows later this year and she'll have grown exponentially... I really hope so, because she is bloody brilliant. 

Saw her in Belfast last November in front of about 200 people and I could see clearly that she had grown even since then.  Just needs more experience - some people obviously find it more natural than others.  She was clearly overwhelmed by playing Glastonbury and to such a big crowd.  Adding the drummer helped as well - she would have been even more lost on her own.  Completely agreed on her being bloody brilliant - have been following her since early 2020 and she just doesn't miss.