Some love for Kae Tempest

BL1ND T1G3R

I remember stumbling across Kate Tempest a good few years ago in a tent (possibly the Leftfield) at Glastonbury - I don’t recall who I was watching after her but she absolutely captured me.

Move forward to Friday morning after The Libertines and Kae Tempest blew my mind yet again with such a powerful set it was mesmerising, I’ve never seen a crowd so taken in - they absolutely smashed it 

Gutted it’s not on iPlayer ! 

Incredible scenes ! 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I really enjoyed it. Saw them In 2017 on west holts and it was great but a little too much on the non music poems for me.

but on Friday I was really moved at parts. The poetry about living in the moment and their struggles wet my eyes a bit. They always seems so genuinely grateful to be there as well

Edited by One Tonne Baby

Devastated that it’s not on the iPlayer. Seeing how busy the site was and with our decision to start our Friday watching Cold War Steve on the Crow’s Nest we decided to not go and see Kae but get a good spot for Wet Leg and Confidence Man. My thinking was at least I would get to see it when I got home. I have seen them at least 7 times at Glastonbury and 3 times at their own gig and they have never disappointed. Hoping there’ll be some footage on YouTube. 

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Didn’t see any of Kae this year. The crowd debacle over Mel C convinced me their Truth Stage set would be totally rammed. Their Other Stage set had to be sacrificed to get a good position at Wet Leg. Gutted to miss them. 

Crowd was fine at Truth Stage. No problems at all. 

Brilliant set too. 

Set of the weekend for me (Other stage). I just don't understand how they get such emotion into their lyrics. You can also really feel how captivated the crowd is, proper cut the tension with a knife. Think I was crying, about four of the group I was with were crying and the people around us were all crying 😂 

Big love to the LGBTQ+, and specifically trans, community "those who have to love a little harder". 

Edited by kemosabe
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Great on the Truth Stage on the Thursday.

That was truly amazing, emotional and powerful. You could feel the love coming from the crowd. One of the highlights of the festival for me !! Way more powerful than their 2019 set at the Park (which was already awesome)

I've found these videos (not mine) on youtube :

Edited by franswa
  • Like 2

One of the ones that I’m most disappointed about missing  this year’s festival. As I absolutely lived their 2017 set. Luckily their playing Green Man which I know they have a bit of special connection to as they played on the time solar stage as a complete unknown 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I spent the entire weekend correcting myself!

I struggle too, I have a good friend who is non-binary, and thankfully they have pretty much given me a pass, 'can't teach an old dog new tricks.' Probably because I do try, and when I make a mistake, they know it's without malice, just a genuine mistake made by somebody who was taught one thing for 30+ years and is now trying to retrain their mind. 

Kae was great though, wasn't planning on seeing them, but they reeled me in and held me captivated! As a straight white male I don't really relate to many of the issues, but I still got emotional. It was very raw at times. My daughter is Bi and proud, and I'm so happy she's growing up in today's world and not yesterday's. Still a long way to go though obviously. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The way they hold an audience is just phenomenal. When my wife first took me to see them in their 2017 glasto set, this metalhead was like, someone doing poetry to a backing track I can say I was pretty reluctant. Then they spoke directly to me as they were for everyone else. I have been a massive fan ever since.

All I can say is that it's such a relief to see them finally happy. I'm welling up again typing this... I was at the other stage set and they brought it home. Best set ever.

2 hours ago, BL1ND T1G3R said:

I remember stumbling across Kate Tempest a good few years ago in a tent (possibly the Leftfield) at Glastonbury - I don’t recall who I was watching after her but she absolutely captured me.

Move forward to Friday morning after The Libertines and Kae Tempest blew my mind yet again with such a powerful set it was mesmerising, I’ve never seen a crowd so taken in - they absolutely smashed it 

Gutted it’s not on iPlayer ! 

Incredible scenes ! 

Thought it was great too, another one missing on the iPlayer which is deffo gutting. 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I struggle too, I have a good friend who is non-binary, and thankfully they have pretty much given me a pass, 'can't teach an old dog new tricks.' Probably because I do try, and when I make a mistake, they know it's without malice, just a genuine mistake made by somebody who was taught one thing for 30+ years and is now trying to retrain their mind. 

Kae was great though, wasn't planning on seeing them, but they reeled me in and held me captivated! As a straight white male I don't really relate to many of the issues, but I still got emotional. It was very raw at times. My daughter is Bi and proud, and I'm so happy she's growing up in today's world and not yesterday's. Still a long way to go though obviously. 

That's what I told my friends when they kept stumbling - we both know you're not trying to disrespect Kae. There's a world of difference between pointedly calling someone who has transitioned by their dead name because you refuse to respect their identity and stumbling over an asexual pronoun.

Still learning, still trying. And listening to Kae's words is one of the ways us allies can learn. 

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 2

I can't see Kae without crying, and this weekend was no exception.

Their set on the Other stage was magical, but the Truth stage set was something else entirely. The crowd made them cry, they made the crowd cry. It was truly special. 💜

Such a strong set. I get totally locked in to every word. Yeah I cried too ❤️

Big sprint to the Park for Wet Leg where I managed to locate my son and then some friends right near the front. God knows how. 

Caught the first 1.5 Other Stage tunes. They were the happiest person I saw on stage, and it looked an immense gig. But my other half was arriving at Gate A so had to leg it. No probs, left me wanting more, and there's always their album of the year to listen to on repeat.