South east corner full, please find another venue

BristolJT

1 hour ago, serendipitous said:

Other than queues for the bars and toilets I found the SE corner to be the most manageable it's been yet in terms of getting around. And even the bar queues were usually fine if you walked to the next one.

Only irritating thing was getting to NYC Downlow a full half an hour before it opened on Saturday only to be told the queue was already 2 hours long. Thankfully half an hour in I complimented one of the performers walking past and she pulled our group from the queue and bought us straight inside. Fantastic night.

We got in the nyc downlow queue around 11:30 saturday and got in surprisingly quick, around 15-20 mins

17 minutes ago, The soap bar said:

I’ve not been since 2010 so was a tad underwhelmed with what I found. Just a load of normal stages now really. Thought it was covid related. 

Sorry but there's no way you can call The Temple and IICON normal stages.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My experience was completely the opposite- spent Wed/Thurs/Sun night in SE and had a ball every time. No big crowds, had a short queue for Temple but no issue getting in anywhere we wanted (didn't try for NYC as cba with the notoriously long wait). Maybe Fri/Sat were worse? 

1 hour ago, JohnTheScientist said:

We got in the nyc downlow queue around 11:30 saturday and got in surprisingly quick, around 15-20 mins

To be honest I think the guard who said two hours wasn't taking into the account the fact the queue was mostly massive as nobody was inside yet.

I was in there Weds/Thurs/fri/sat:

My experience was it was mostly manageable, never properly shut off even when on Saturday Shangri-la was meant to be shut but you could walk in from the unfair ground. 

Temple was ace Friday night, my mate and Mrs also didn't realise there were toilets until it went light. My mate said he'd been holding it since 2am - I'd been going myself through the night! ICCON seemed a lot busier but can obviously handle it. 

Gas Tower was no where near big enough for Jamie Jones, [no show] Solomun, BIBI on Saturday. Totally none moving road block from 2am to at least 4:30am when I tried again. Was a bit of a bad atmosphere with those already in feeling the  strain as people tried to find gaps that didn't exist. 

Platform 23 was a blag to get inside the tent but OK once in. 

Didn't like the genosys replacement visually but sounded OK to dance to late Sat night. 

First time friends buzzed off it, Shangri-la has lots the micro venues which is a negative though. 

Some of the best fun we had all weekend was bumping into the Notting Hill Carnival in Block 9 one afternoon. Haven't never been to the carnival it was so much fun! 

Still the best place to party overall

Edited by Upside down frowner
Add info

7 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

I was in there Weds/Thurs/fri/sat:

My experience was it was mostly manageable, never properly shut off even when on Saturday Shangri-la was meant to be shut but you could walk in from the unfair ground. 

Temple was ace Friday night, my mate and Mrs also didn't realise there were toilets until it went light. My mate said he'd been holding it since 2am - I'd been going myself through the night! ICCON seemed a lot busier but can obviously handle it. 

Gas Tower was no where near big enough for Jamie Jones, [no show] Solomun, BIBI on Saturday. Totally none moving road block from 2am to at least 4:30am when I tried again. Was a bit of a bad atmosphere with those already in feeling the  strain as people tried to find gaps that didn't exist. 

Platform 23 was a blag to get inside the tent but OK once in. 

Didn't like the genosys replacement visually but sounded OK to dance to late Sat night. 

First time friends buzzed off it, Shangri-la has lots the micro venues which is a negative though. 

Some of the best fun we had all weekend was bumping into the Notting Hill Carnival in Block 9 one afternoon. Haven't never been to the carnival it was so much fun! 

Still the best place to party overall

We saw the carnival outside glasto latino on the thursday i think it was - didn't even know it came around! seemed good fun, defo want to go to the carnival this year!

14 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Shangri-la has lots the micro venues which is a negative though. 

Didn't find a single micro-venue this year, despite looking, except squatter FM.

Appreciate the budget cuts but that whole side of things felt absolutely threadbare compared to previous years. The whole performance art side of the SE corner felt non-existent. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Appreciate the budget cuts but that whole side of things felt absolutely threadbare compared to previous years. The whole performance art side of the SE corner felt non-existent. 

Micro venues have dwindled over the last 10 years due to the crowds in the SE corner. I think it's as much a practical response as a budgetary one.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:25 PM, The soap bar said:

Was it that busy? I was there and didn’t even notice 

Same. I was in Shangri La Saturday when it was a supposed road block and didn’t notice. Was pretty spangled though, and tbf, I had issues getting us to Truth - thought it was just my own state 😂 

2 hours ago, Isaact said:

Didn't find a single micro-venue this year, despite looking, except squatter FM.

There were the little areas opposite Gas tower and I think Truth. Don't remember music but there were interactive installations I suppose. 

Understand small venues because of fire fears but last time there was double decker bus, the train carriage and stage - sure there were others

It was busy sure but never rammmed when I visited and they didnt seem so keen to close access again and again this year. Always got in straight thro entrance in T&C with statutory high 5. For sure you could see where savings had been made; much recycled from previous years etc., no overiding theme / concept, but hey was still great fun. Hopefully next year with more time; creative staff to plan we'll see it evolve.